Magnet strength to hold tools question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Magnet strength to hold tools question

I built a case to house my sharpening stuff and I recessed out the lid to store my straight edge, DMT sharpening stones and some other related tools.

I ordered some rare earth magnets from eBay that I was going to glue in to secure the tools from falling when I close the lid. But when I received them they were so small that there is no way they are going to hold anything.

So I found some 25mm x 2mm Round Rare Earth Magnets and Iím just wondering how many will I need to hold everything in place. The heaviest tool is my 24" straight edge which weighs almost 3 pounds.

So anybody have any experience with these magnets?

I was going to use some sort of clips and then I found the magnets.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 PM
puffessional Scrabbleist

View TonyM's Photo Album My Photos
speaker magnets

I use speaker magnets epoxied against the wall to hold drill bits, driver bits and odd small things. They are pretty strong but I don't know your requirements.

TonyM
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I use speaker magnets epoxied against the wall to hold drill bits, driver bits and odd small things. They are pretty strong but I don't know your requirements.

TonyM
Well my lid is only ĺ” thick and I cut out about 1/4” to 3/8” deep so I don’t think a speaker magnet will work.
I’m looking at something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-Super-S...item3f21d122ea

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at this page at Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...363,42348&ap=1
They have a chart of magnet strengths which should help you decide what you will need. Be aware, not all magnets are created equal, there are differences in their construction/materials which will affect the force they provide. You might also like to read this page on Lee Valley's site: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...77&cat=1,42363 it has more information than you will ever need on magnets.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
The Following User Says Thank You to trc65 For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (12-26-2013)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
Take a look at this page at Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...363,42348&ap=1
They have a chart of magnet strengths which should help you decide what you will need. Be aware, not all magnets are created equal, there are differences in their construction/materials which will affect the force they provide. You might also like to read this page on Lee Valley's site: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...77&cat=1,42363 it has more information than you will ever need on magnets.
OMG, that is perfect and exactly what I'm looking for.

THANK YOU TIM!

JohnnyB
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleeper For This Useful Post:
trc65 (12-27-2013)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=173

Take a look here
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=173

Every magnet has a pull spec and you can order them with countersunk holes so you can use wood screws to anchor them which will actually increase the pull force (as long as the screws are ferrous).

I've also been able to get technical assistance from them via e-mail. May not be the cheapest place but you can get exactly what you need to do the job.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (12-27-2013), trc65 (12-27-2013)
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

So I finally received my magnets and started installing them. I donít know a lot about magnets, but there were a few things that might be interesting to someone.

First of all I ordered magnets from three different places and the first order was a complete mistake because they are just too small to be of use to me at all, so Iím not going to mention them.

The second order was round ones from Lee Valley which I selected because I thought it would be easy to embed into wood with just a drill hole. Well they were very easy to install, but Iím very disappointed in the strength of them so I only used one.

The third order was rectangle magnets from China and very powerful, so I pulled out the chisel and recessed them in. They are so powerful that I broke two of them when they flew across my workbench and stuck to my hammer. They are very hard steel almost like glass because they break very easily when slamming up against other hard steel.

The interesting thing about it is that as soon as they break, the polarity changes and you cannot stick them back together again in the same orientation. I tried to force it and one piece shot across the room and busted into more pieces.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode