Made a major move. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Location: Northwest Fl. Moved from Prattville, Al. June 24, 2016
View mazdaman's Photo Album My Photos
Made a major move.

Greetings from a self induced but temporary abstinence. Last Oct. I made a huge decision to move from my Alabama home to be nearer relatives in Crestview, Fl Between Oct 2015, and June 2016 I was packing and cleaning and selling and basically getting my home and shop ready for the move. The move has been made and ended on 24 June. I sold a lot of my bigger tools, BS, TS. JOINTER, PLANER, and some of the other tools i had. I knew I was going to continue to do some kind of woodwork, so I kept some important tools. Lots of the hand tools of course, clamp, drum sander, cms, scroll saw, router table and drill press. I have purchased and had delivered a 10' X 20' portable building and it is all ready to become my minature shop. (my last shop was 28' x 28') This will take a major adjustment on my part, to set it up and be efficient.

Formerly known as Yank,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2016, 09:46 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Well, it may be smaller, but you have an opportunity to re-invent your woodworking style. We recently moved to a newly built home and I'm in the process of building a new 12x22 shop in the basement (see pics in my gallery). The old shop was 12x12 and I had to store a bunch of tools outside the shop itself. I laid out the new shop in the manner of the old one, but with changes to correct limitations of the old one. One note, all of my "major" power tools are benchtop units and fit better in a small shop. I used a Black & Decker Type 2 Workmate to support these tools when in use, but now they will mounted on their own roll around stands/cabinets and stored along one wall of the shop when not in use. The small shop means a lot more set up and tear down between operations, but you can still make big pieces in one. I used to set the table saw or planer in the doorway of the shop and pass the long workpieces in from outside through the machine and into the shop. I made two 84 inch tall by 48 inch wide book cases in the 12x12 basement shop, so most anything is possible.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Frye For This Useful Post:
mazdaman (09-06-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-06-2016, 07:36 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the Florida Panhandle. I do not know how big an area you lived in before, but Crestview is definitely not big city.

There is a Lowes, but ACE Hardware is the big daddy in town.

Other than Craigs list Gatlin Lumber in Fort Walton Beach is the only place to find hardwoods. Well, Lowes does sell some, but at exorbitant price. Some can be had in Pensacola.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Location: Northwest Fl. Moved from Prattville, Al. June 24, 2016
View mazdaman's Photo Album My Photos
I was told that Wilson Lumber on Hywy 90w of Crestview has some hardwoods and Cypress. Will have to check them out. Thanks for the welcome. I am happy to be here except for the traffic on 85 thru Crestview. It is insane at times, but that is to be expected because of the beach traffic and Eglin, Hurlbut field, Duke Field, and the new 7th Army group.

I moved from Prattville, Al. about 150 miles north of here.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2016, 04:02 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaman View Post
I was told that Wilson Lumber on Hywy 90w of Crestview has some hardwoods and Cypress. Will have to check them out. Thanks for the welcome. I am happy to be here except for the traffic on 85 thru Crestview. It is insane at times, but that is to be expected because of the beach traffic and Eglin, Hurlbut field, Duke Field, and the new 7th Army group.

I moved from Prattville, Al. about 150 miles north of here.
Wilson lumber is well known for cypress. If they have hardwoods they have added them since I was last up therel I have bought a lot of cypress from them.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode