Lumber pricing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

View lilman's Photo Album My Photos
Lumber pricing

I just had my mind blown when I got a price on some poplar. Previously I bought my wood from HD mainly because I didn't have much equipment. Even after getting some equipment I still bought there just because I didn't know where else to get lumber from. Well I finally found out that the "cypress" place about 10 miles from my house does more than cypress. When he gave me the price on some poplar I was stunned. I have been paying more than 4 times at HD and still had to joint and plane it all. Why didn't I call these people sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Even between saw mills there can be a difference. The place I usually get wood from is 200 miles from home (although right down the street from the in laws) and I've got my rift sawn oak there for 2.85 a foot....the saw mill here that will only sell me in 250 board foot lots or more, wanted 5.85 a bd foot. I laughed and walked away.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM

View khowald's Photo Album My Photos
The same thing is applicable on most anything you buy. You have to check with various suppliers. That is what is great about the internet, you can find anything and reduce your cost. A glaring example is eyeglass frames, they are made in Korea for about $.15 each and they sell them here for $75. and up. Start making yourself aware of the availability of things on the net...it's not just for ****. ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I know if you calculate the price of popular or red oak by the BF at Lowes it is rediculous. At our local lowes that's the only hard woods they sell. I also got a shock the other day at lowes. I needed to make a short 240V drop cord; about 7' long. With tax the 7' of 12 gauge wire and the male and female plug cost $48.
Tom
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Keep in mind that there are a number of different grades of hardwood lumber. The better the grade, the more expensive it will be.

The poplar at most home centers tends to be of a fairly high grade and therefore fairly expensive. Some I have seen at a wood supplier can be of lesser quality and lower priced.

Howie..........
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
The lumber yards/saw mills generally sell rough lumber. They then add so much per bf to skip plane and straight line one edge. The box stores are selling sized lumber finished on all sides. Getting that same stuff if even possible at a sawmill or lumber yard would raise the price drastically.

Box store lumber is not of higher quality its just finished. As we all know its a good bit of work to flatten, plane and joint lumber. We buy rough and make the money that would be paid to The box stores.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I've from time to time found that the box store lumber is less desirable....for example I needed a single board to finish a project, but no one had quarter sawn oak at the big box stores, and their flat sawn oak was more than the wood supplier I use for quarter sawn.

Now the benefit of s4s lumber is non existent if your looking to glue up a panel, as it will become too thin for my liking once it's surfaced flat.

My planer has more than paid for itself with the cost savings from buying rough cut.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

View lilman's Photo Album My Photos
Went and picked the lumber up today. I originally asked for rough but when I got there to pick it up they didn't have rough, got it for same price though. Was a little disappointed due to sizing, but I can cope with it at that price so I took it. Wifes on me to get this buffet built so I need material. Talked a while with the guys and they mainly deal with popler, pine, and cypress but they're main focus is cypress. Super nice guys, just next time Ill place an order in advance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode