Lost the Passion - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Lost the Passion

Maybe some of you can relate to my situation. I have been doing woodworking since I was a kid and got serious about it 20 years ago. I built a shop in my backyard and when I moved 4 + years ago I assembled my dream shop in my big basement complete with central dust collection. I have made all sorts of great things over the years and enjoyed it immensely.

But over the past two years my interest has waned. My shop has been sitting dark and I've only done a couple small projects that just didn't bring me the same level of joy and pleasure that I used to get from woodworking. I have always been highly motivated by learning new things, whether it was college, work or my hobbies. I guess I feel that I've learned what I can and now the challenge is gone.

I have thought of trying to do marquetry or something like that which I've never done but I'm just not sure how long that would hold my interest. I'm trying to decide what to do at this point. Should I leave my shop in tact for the once a year small project or home repair or do I sell my equipment and figure out a new use for the space? I would love to hear from others who have gone through something similar and any thoughts you may have. I'm just having a hard time letting go of a 30 year old hobby. It has been such a big part of who I am and I certainly don't want to let it go and regret my decision later on down the line?

Any and all thoughts and feedback welcome.

Ken

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think it will come back. What killed it for me was doing woodworking as a profession. By the time I work all day building for others I'm ready to get away from it in evenings and weekends. I never seem to have the time for doing any work for myself anyway and lately I've really been really missing doing woodworking for myself especially when I see members here doing interesting projects.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I tend to bounce around, house projects and other hobbies help me do that. I have different nights in the shop, that I do different things. Last night I was working on a little .22 pistol that I am customizing so I was doing some work on the mill. Tonight I'll be cutting and welding on the custom mobile base for my Unisaw. I've got a stack of drawer parts that need to get sanded sometime this week. They have been an issue for me, trying to get myself to move on them, and I just absolutely hate sanding. So tomorrow night I'm going to buck up and get those knocked out. This weekend, since it's going to be pretty, I have some trim to spray, so I'll be getting ready for that as well. On top of this my wife has us binge watching SOA, I really want to stop, but am so far in now that I have to see it through.

Maybe you don't have enough projects? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Ken, it is good to see you again. Just hang on to your tools, believe me you will get back in the swing sooner or later.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (02-03-2016)
post #5 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 08:21 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Jim. I have lots of hobbies that I have put aside in the past only to find myself getting back into them again after a long sabbatical.

All it takes is one special project that happens upon you and the passion is back. Maybe for a child, grand child or other special person in your life.

You cant make the passion come back, it will happen on its own.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Build a guitar or ukulele - that'll keep you occupied for a couple of years! Unless, that is, you get the 'bug' and then you'll do it for life.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
My thinking on this is in line with Steve. I banged wood for years until I retired 6 years ago. Since then, I've gotten serious about this hobby. What keeps me going is the fact that I've never sold a thing and don't intend too. I have 4 sons and 6 granddaughters to make things for. I also love making things for non-profit organizations which either auction or raffle off my gifts to them to help fund their activities. My head gets inflated from the comments and I go into my shop to relieve the pressure.

If your in Warner NH on Friday Feb 12th, stop in at the Simmond School and you can bid on this country furniture project I've donated to their PTO. It's a simple vegetable bin I love doing year after year. It's not fine furniture but it's fun to build.
Attached Images

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Many of us have started out doing WW as a "hobby" for fun/relaxation, do well at it, and it becomes a full time paying "job". It sounds as if you have gotten a bit "burned out", and maybe taking a break from your regular shop projects is a good idea. Consider looking into other facets of woodworking, or perhaps challenge yourself/skills to build something as colonial craftsmen did - with only hand tools. Maybe make a list/pictures/plans of wood projects you have completed, and think how to improve your techniques if you had to build that item again. DO NOT sell off any of your "toys", as your urge/need to play in the sawdust will return! Be safe.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I go through periods like that where I donít build anything for long periods of time. Itís mostly due to running out of things to do that are significant. I donít like wasting my time on seemingly useless stuff.
I have another hobby that I spent over $20K on and then about 4 years ago I got more interested in my shop.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
I was kind of in the same boat years ago. I did sell everything and moved away. Well, I did a very simple wall mounted bracket thing to hold our central vac hose in the closet. I made it from poplar. Once I cut into it with my circular saw and smelled the poplar I realized how much I missed working with wood. Long story short, soon after I purchased a small table saw then a jointer, surface planer and so on. Today I am planning on building the next house with the dream workshop. So it does get better. You just may need to step back for a few. You won't regret it! Good luck.

Red

Red
post #11 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
I loved being in the shop for years until I started to do this for work and what really stinks is how hard it is to make money after paying for all the bills..You no...Heat,lights,equipment and repairs,sharping,supplys,lumber and inc..Exc..Exc..This summer I will be going back to doing some carpentry to make ends meet and may run my store on weekends..
post #12 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
passion = challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Johnson View Post

. I have always been highly motivated by learning new things, whether it was college, work or my hobbies. I guess I feel that I've learned what I can and now the challenge is gone.

I have thought of trying to do marquetry or something like that which I've never done but I'm just not sure how long that would hold my interest. I'm trying to decide what to do at this point. Should I leave my shop in tact for the once a year small project or home repair or do I sell my equipment and figure out a new use for the space? I would love to hear from others who have gone through something similar and any thoughts you may have. I'm just having a hard time letting go of a 30 year old hobby. It has been such a big part of who I am and I certainly don't want to let it go and regret my decision later on down the line?

Any and all thoughts and feedback welcome.

Ken

I think you lost interest because you stopped being challenged. Like difalkner said build a guitar. It's a whole different approach than most typical woodworking projects. I had to do a repair on an upright bass and it definitely was a challenge.... different glues, jigs to hold the body, jigs to glue the neck in the correct attitude, etc. Also thinner wood and inlays than you are used to. Kenbo just put up a Ukulele he built recently after having built so many beautiful scale models.

see what you think after watching some you tubes on how to.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 02:29 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I hate to sell tools because there always seems to be an unexpected need for them at a later date.

I think, with woodworking, there are always new challenges. There is always something more challenging than what you've already done. You can design your own pieces and make them as complicated as you want.

I recently got this book: http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Worl...rniture+miller

You can find this book used for $30 or less if you shop around. It has lots of great photos, and covers nearly every era and style you can think of (going back to ancient Egypt and Greece). The skill of the craftsman who made this stuff is humbling - it will make you realize how little you know. This might re-ignite your passion.
post #14 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Who's to say if it will come back or no....good thing is you dont have to worry about it, it will or won't. But precisely since you don't know don't sell your tools unless you need to. Buying them back can/will be very expensive. I bought my track saw only ~3 yrs ago for 650 with and an exra track. Today to buy it back would be over $1000.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Maybe there is some different sort of woodworking to grab your curiosity.
Marquetry, Intarsia, Band-sawn boxes, Wooden clocks, models, turning, even wood carving (maybe a dozen very different styles).
There are wood clubs doing everything. Go visit. Explore.
In the meantime, I agree with everybody = put the shop to sleep. Sell nothing.
post #16 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 PM

View kramar74's Photo Album My Photos
I definitely wouldn't sell. I have also gone through stages where I really didn't do anything in my shop, was burned out, bored, etc. The last place I lived my shop sat untouched for almost three years, and there have been numerous times over the years I got involved in other stuff and just didn't spend any time in the shop. It wasn't until I got married that I started spending time building some of the things we needed and regained an interest. Like yourself, I actually considered selling some of my tools. Now, I am glad I didn't. Hell, even now I sometimes end up going several months without really working in the shop. Other times I am in it straight for several months.

I do agree with trying a guitar build. Very different than building furniture, etc.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Nine Thumbs

View Shop_Rat's Photo Album My Photos
Are you looking for positive reinforcement, motivation, or a reason to bail out? You've gotten plenty of opinions and advice so far, but all you really have is what other people would do. No one can know what YOU should do except YOU. And really, how can we truly, and why should we offer what could be life changing advice. Letís say you took all these opinions, averaged out the ďsellĒ and ďdon't sellĒ, and based your decision solely on that, only to find out later that it was all wrong. Would you blame the forum members? There is more to it than simply asking for opinions on a forum where you probably personally know no one.

What do you do to occupy your time now that you don't tinker in the shop? Have you moved on to another hobby? Do you sit and watch TV all evening? Taking dancing lessons? Binge drinking? Did you get divorced? Are you about to get divorced? Maybe you got a girlfriend.

Something has taken the place of your time spent woodworking.

I donít literally want the answer to these questions; itís none of my business. But depending on your answer to yourself, the advice might differ. For instance, if you said you sit around all evening watching crap like 'The Bachelor', or if your wife has pulled up stakes, I might tell you to force yourself to go to the shop, even if itís only to polish the tools and sweep the floors. If you said that you took up ballroom dancing, I might opine that you mothball your shop for a whileÖ because dancing too shall pass! If you are ill or broken, I might suggest an auction and a nice condo where you could watch 'The Bachelor' and 'Jerry Springer' (bleah!).

You first need to search your own soul. A deep search. What are you going to do with the rest of your life? Where do you see yourself in ten years? If you are still on the fence, by far the best people to ask for opinions like this are family first and close friends second. Start with your wife and children. They know you as well, if not better than you know you. You may not even need the friends talk.

The main thing is not to do anything spontaneously. Take your time to figure it all out. Your shop will wait for you. I know this for a fact; I have been in your exact shoes. I mothballed all my tools, locked the building up tight and went into high end stereo for about five years. Then one day I decided to build my own subwoofer (which wasnít exactly a success by the way). Then I needed a record album rack. And then a CD storage rack. And then a pair of brackets to hang a couple of surround speakers. You get the point.

There are no do-overs in life. What you do is what you did. Make your choice from both heart and head and youíll never have a regret. What we would do is irrelevant.

Peace.

Disclaimer: If you are a fan of 'The Bachelor' or 'Springer', I meant no disrespect. We are all entitled to make mistakes, and there are professional folks out there who can help you if you only ask.

Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,
Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop_Rat For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (02-04-2016)
post #18 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Good advice ^ above.

I don't think I could ever get bored with WW. Unless you claim to basically know everything about WW and have been doing it so long you're tired of it, than I don't see what the problem is.

You said you're motivated by learning new things and I find it hard to believe you've "been there done that" with everything WW related.

I wonder if your lack of motivation is stemming not from lack of motivation while learning, but the lack to seek out new things to learn. And that could come from any number of personal things going on with you right now.

Hard to give appropriate advice on your situation given the details, other than DON'T SELL THE TOOLS!

Last edited by Chamfer; 02-03-2016 at 08:57 PM.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that's a lot more than I ever bargained for! As always you guys came through for me. While I have never been itching to sell everything on a knee jerk decision, it was in the back of my mind. I certainly agree that if I sold it would be at a fraction of the purchase price and to buy back someday would cost way more that what I originally paid. For those reasons I was not ready to put anything on Craigslist just yet.

My biggest thing was wanting to hear from others who have gone through similar dry spells and hear what they did. No, I've not done all there is to do and I have a couple of things I've wanted to try for a while (like dovetails for example) and that does give me some interesting project ideas. My wife also wants a mission style headboard and I'd really like to make it for her. So I guess I just need to take whatever break I need and maybe spend some of that time planning my next projects.

Thanks guys for all your stories and advice. I can't thank you all enough. I'll be sure to keep you posted on my first project when I get back in the shop.

Ken

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
post #20 of 32 Old 02-03-2016, 09:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Mission headboard build

Since you mentioned the Mission headboard I thought I should post my build thread for you to get any tips or ideas:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/mi...d-build-37911/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode