Looking for tips for sanding butcher block to get an even matte finish. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-10-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

View cam_robert's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for tips for sanding butcher block to get an even matte finish.

Hey everyone,

I am relatively unfamiliar with the process of sanding a butcher block and was hoping someone here could lend me their expertise.

I picked up the following solid beech table top from Ikea (Ikea Gerton):

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50106773/

My plan is to sand it down and apply some coats of this varnish (General Water-Based Varnish in satin):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42942

I'm also interested in this product (Minwax Polyshades Pecan Satin Oil-Based Interior Stain):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45901-678-61...nwax+polyshade

If you know of a better product that you can recommend please let me know. Anyway, my main concern is the whole sanding process. I'm looking for a nice even satin finish with a nice sheen to it. My question then is how I should go about sanding down the butcherblock? Here are my 3 options:

1. Sand by hand the ol' fashioned way
2. Use an electric "finishing" sander
3. Use a random orbital sander

Based on your experience, which one is easiest/most efficient and produces the best result? I have never used an electic sander before if that makes a difference. Anyway sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can help this newbie out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2015, 06:28 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
The ROS is by a long shot the fastest. The ROS will provide a perfect finish. A varnish isn't a good idea if you plan to use this board.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwebb99 For This Useful Post:
cam_robert (12-11-2015)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-10-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
The ROS is by a long shot the fastest. The ROS will provide a perfect finish. A varnish isn't a good idea if you plan to use this board.
ROS stands for random orbital sander, yeah? I'll have to pick one up then. Honestly I'll be using the board purely as a desk for my PC. Do you think varnish is a bad idea for this type of thing?

I really appreciate your help and good advice. Thanks

EDIT: I head Tung Oil is a good option as well. Maybe tung oil is better than a varnish?

Last edited by cam_robert; 12-10-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 PM

Yes. ROS stands for random orbital sander. Varnish or tung oil would be fine for a computer stand. I prefer tung oil because it is easier. If this is a Christmas gift be warned tung oil stinks for weeks.
cam_robert (12-11-2015)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
Yes. ROS stands for random orbital sander. Varnish or tung oil would be fine for a computer stand. I prefer tung oil because it is easier. If this is a Christmas gift be warned tung oil stinks for weeks.
Duly noted, thanks. The only thing that makes me scared of the orbital sander is accidentally stripping too much wood off (especially at corners/edges). I guess if I use like a low 120 grit paper I should be fine (hopefully).
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2015, 12:00 AM

Unless the table is veneer it will be fine. If the wood is already pretty smooth I would start at 220 and then 320. If the wood has slight planer marks you might need to back down to 120 or 150 grit. If the wood is pretty rough like planer tear out you might need to back down to 80 or 100 grit. I have heard beech dust is hazardous, but it certainly isn't good, so wear a respiratory. You should wear a respiratory when generating fine wood dust anyway.

Last edited by hwebb99; 12-11-2015 at 12:02 AM.
cam_robert (12-11-2015)
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2015, 03:36 PM

View kelsochris's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think the minwax product is what you want on this. At first thought you're probably looking at the convenience of stain and sealer in one but it takes a lot to get an even finish color wise in my opinion. Since its going to be a desk top look at a good oil based stain and then a wipe on poly sealer. You can make your own wipe on using satin poly and mineral spirits. Start with 3 parts poly to one part mineral spirits. You could even hit it with some boiled linseed oil before the poly to give it some depth. If you do that you'll want let the linseed oil cure 48 hours or so before the first coat if poly.
The Following User Says Thank You to kelsochris For This Useful Post:
cam_robert (12-11-2015)
post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsochris View Post
I don't think the minwax product is what you want on this. At first thought you're probably looking at the convenience of stain and sealer in one but it takes a lot to get an even finish color wise in my opinion. Since its going to be a desk top look at a good oil based stain and then a wipe on poly sealer. You can make your own wipe on using satin poly and mineral spirits. Start with 3 parts poly to one part mineral spirits. You could even hit it with some boiled linseed oil before the poly to give it some depth. If you do that you'll want let the linseed oil cure 48 hours or so before the first coat if poly.
Hey kelsochris, thanks a lot for your help!

Honestly I think I might avoid stain altogether. I really like your advice about a combination of a satin poly and mineral spirits.

I've had my eye on this product though:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Finish.../dp/B001DSZ3C8

This particular high performance water based topcoat has very positive reviews on amazon. I'm hoping it will apply easily, offer solid protection, and bring out a nice matte finish and bring out the natural colors of the wood without any need for stain. Do you think this is a good product/idea? Or would you still combine a particular satin poly with mineral spirits? I live in Canada so I'm a little limited in my choices, haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode