looking for a theaded insert - - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

View soundmun's Photo Album My Photos
looking for a theaded insert -

Im making a wood shift gear knob and trying to find matching for a rod. this is the dimensions ( the 20g is the threads parameter ...) where can I find what im looking for ?( ebay )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 02:42 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
I usually use a coupling nut for projects like that but I searched for 9M inserts and could not find any and I have no idea what a 20g thread is.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 03:20 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
If you drill an 8.5mm hole and countersink a little, would probably find the metal thread on the rod will simply cut its own thread into the knob. Try with a piece of scrap.
johnep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 04:51 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
So the circumference of the bolt is 20 grams, or the thread length is 20 grams? Either way, that makes no sense because grams are a measure for weight, not distance. May want to double check your units, unless you found a way to measure distance with a scale.

Now that thats out of the way, weve got another problem. Assuming the diameter you have listed for the shank is correct, you need an M9 threaded insert. The problem is, M9 isnt a thing. It goes from M8 to M10. An 3/8 imperial thread would have a diameter off close to 9mm, but really without knowing the thread size i dont believe anybody will be able to help you.

Hardware stores usually have a thread gauge hanging in their fastener section. Take your bolt there, find out which hole it screws into, and thatll be your thread size. Without that, the only thing that can really be said is to google threaded inset and order one of everything that comes up

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
So the circumference of the bolt is 20 grams, or the thread length is 20 grams? Either way, that makes no sense because grams are a measure for weight, not distance. May want to double check your units, unless you found a way to measure distance with a scale.

Now that thats out of the way, weve got another problem. Assuming the diameter you have listed for the shank is correct, you need an M9 threaded insert. The problem is, M9 isnt a thing. It goes from M8 to M10. An 3/8 imperial thread would have a diameter off close to 9mm, but really without knowing the thread size i dont believe anybody will be able to help you.

Hardware stores usually have a thread gauge hanging in their fastener section. Take your bolt there, find out which hole it screws into, and thatll be your thread size. Without that, the only thing that can really be said is to google threaded inset and order one of everything that comes up
I bought this and measure and that was the parameter...as you can see there is a20G parameter and its not weight. http://www.ebay.com/itm/52-Blades-St...item280c185b6d

Last edited by soundmun; 01-30-2016 at 06:45 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
The G denotes British Standard Parallel Pipe threads, your gauge measures Metric and Whitworth, use the Metric end so you come up with just a number, possibly 1.0 or 1.25 which should get you headed toward a standard metric product.

Also check if it is a SAE thread such as 3/8" - 16 TPI or 24 TPI.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 01-30-2016 at 12:47 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 AM

View jeff3285's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if I exactly know what you are talking about,,,,but I have made threaded inserts to go in wood using a anchor that was taped at 3/8th ,,,the kind like you use in concrete, ,,,cut it off and used the threaded part,,,and used a 3/8 bolt to drive it into the wood,,,don't know if this will help,,lol,,just my 2 cents worth,,lol
post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 12:02 PM

View RJH30518's Photo Album My Photos
Drill a hole so that a regular nut fits snug. Use super glue in the hole and put the nut it. I used that several times, and it is a good alternative to getting a threaded nut to fit the bolt that I am going to use.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
The measurement indicated is Whitworth threads(55 degrees). Are you certain they are Whitworth? Metrics are 60 degrees, and much more common. Although 9mm is also not a common size, most US metric fasteners are even numbered so that would likely be an 8x1.25.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 02:53 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder if it's for an old British car ...I built a British steam engine kit back in the mid 70's that used whitworth
and haven't seen any since ..they were pretty much petered out by then.
You need to measure the diameter of the threads accurately ..with a caliper or mic.
There's nothing close to 9mm in the witworth chart I looked at .

Your socket head cap screw (bolt) is expressed as Diameter of the thread x pitch ( distance between each thread) x length( measured as distance from end of fastener to below the head).
1/2-13x3 ....M10-1.25x30

I've ran into a few custom sizes in machine repair and in making custom fasteners over the years but 9mm is about as queer a size as I ever heard of.

If you can't work around this fastener maybe you could retap the part this goes to , to a more standard size.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.

Last edited by Tree Hugger; 01-30-2016 at 02:56 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

OK my BAD sorry ( scale was offset...)
- The exact diameter of the thread is 10mm and threads indicats 1.25 Metric .
I saw there are right hand and left hand- whats the meaning of that?

Last edited by soundmun; 01-30-2016 at 11:39 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 12:31 AM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Ok , a 10-1.25 is a pretty common metric thread . Most all fasteners tighten by turning right....right hand (or clockwise).
On rare occasion you may encounter a left hand thread ( tightens by turning counterclockwise).
Try zoro or amazon or maybe ebay for metric threaded rod in the 10x1.25 size ( Google metric threaded rod).
Lots of hardware stores and box stores carry inch threaded rod but I've yet to see any metric.
Nuts on the other hand shouldn't be hard to find locally.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 02:47 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Since we were kidnapped by Europe, we have been metricated. 10 mm is a standard size thread on cars. US often confuses the two systems. You may remember the plane which had to make an emergency landing in the Atlantic and the Mars space craft which crashed. Cut wood sizes all in mm
johnep
post #14 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 04:08 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmun View Post
OK my BAD sorry ( scale was offset...)
- The exact diameter of the thread is 10mm and threads indicats 1.25 Metric .
I saw there are right hand and left hand- whats the meaning of that?
Most bolts and screws are right hand thread, you turn them clockwise to tighten.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #15 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 04:22 PM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmun View Post
The exact diameter of the thread is 10mm and threads indicats 1.25 Metric
That I can understand and I like to use coupling nuts because they provide more threads than just using a nut.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/1_M..._p/pm34294.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode