Looking for opinions Timber frame - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
TF1

View TF1's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for opinions Timber frame

I recently had a timber frame built. One of the rafters turned a darker color at the base where it meets the eave plate. It also looks to have “bled over” to pine at the base of ceiling as well. (see arrows)
No other beams show this. It is near where dormer roof meets 12/12 pitch roof.
I thought maybe mold and wiped it with bleach water mixture and was turning rag brown almost like a stain. (Wood is white pine and untreated). There is also some discoloration started on opposite side as well. Mold, water leak, or something else?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F8719D8-9D7F-4CD1-8A88-5BCA67B34DD6_1544012279459.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	368993  

Name:	D383ED45-4451-4B58-8B82-2BF3BE3CB7B6_1544012300848.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	368995  

Name:	0F752505-80F5-4F0B-8334-449AC2384F23_1544012937950.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	368999  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 09:27 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It appears to be mold ....?

You can try to stop the progression now, but be aggressive. This is known to remove stains from wood rather than bleach:
https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/s...d-wood-bleach/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-05-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 02:17 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
in my first house i used a lot of timer framing, most of it was standing in the woods a month earlier
a lot of timber framing uses green wood, best to get it up and secured before the wood warps & splits

one 8'x12'- 6 pane window had 4x6 white pine mullions that had mold near the top where sun/wind never hit it
i used straight bleach and gave it good repeated soakings. 6 mths later when i polyurethaned it, i had no issues

when i did some oak timber framing a couple years later, 8x12 & 6x10 beams and 4x6 rafters
any time i had mold i used straight bleach, i used blo on the oak, again with no issues

Last edited by _Ogre; 12-05-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
TF1

Thanks I appreciate it the comments
post #5 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
TF1, it appears you have a leak by the way the markings are and their locations to each other. I do ALOT of repairs after incorrect installs of many trades. One of the #1 improper install repairs we deal with is the flashing and roofing around dormers....more with vinyl siding as it catches/funnels/concentrates water into one location as it releases it. It's sad when you go out and the roofer blames the siding guy and the siding guy says it's a roof issue AND then the contractor doesn't know either (I actually blame the problem as a whole on the GC as he/she should KNOW proper steps in the trades he/she is over). I find VERY few know how to set-up flashing properly so different trades can do their work WITHOUT destroying/interfering with others...especially to do a reroof in the future. IF I get a call regarding a roof leak that no one seems to be able to fix/find I'll ask 1) do you have a dormer?? 2) is there a pitch change (mostly metal roofs) in roof line/plane?? 3) is there a valley?? 4) IF it's a metal roof...do you have screws standing up/out??

Trades are loosing touch on how to properly install their trade AND what it takes to make the next/other trade coexist. It's getting to be a cut throat/price underbidding to get the jobs then short cut all they can to break even... instead of studying the trade correctly, pricing to properly install quality craftsmanship that will last for generations.

Off my box....LOL!!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
TF1

Tennessee Tim thank you. It is a metal roof where the 2 roof lines meet which made me suspicious of a leak since there are no other areas of mold in the whole house. We have only been in the house for 8 months so this is frustrating. Thank you.
I really appreciate your input.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a leak to me. Until that is corrected there is no point trying to fix the stains.
MLP likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
TF1

So far that’s the consensus. I will talk with the contractor/roofer. Thank you for taking the time.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Looks like a leak to me. Until that is corrected there is no point trying to fix the stains.
I 2nd that!!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2018, 11:02 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
TF1, it appears you have a leak by the way the markings are and their locations to each other. I do ALOT of repairs after incorrect installs of many trades. One of the #1 improper install repairs we deal with is the flashing and roofing around dormers....more with vinyl siding as it catches/funnels/concentrates water into one location as it releases it. It's sad when you go out and the roofer blames the siding guy and the siding guy says it's a roof issue AND then the contractor doesn't know either (I actually blame the problem as a whole on the GC as he/she should KNOW proper steps in the trades he/she is over). I find VERY few know how to set-up flashing properly so different trades can do their work WITHOUT destroying/interfering with others...especially to do a reroof in the future. IF I get a call regarding a roof leak that no one seems to be able to fix/find I'll ask 1) do you have a dormer?? 2) is there a pitch change (mostly metal roofs) in roof line/plane?? 3) is there a valley?? 4) IF it's a metal roof...do you have screws standing up/out??

Trades are loosing touch on how to properly install their trade AND what it takes to make the next/other trade coexist. It's getting to be a cut throat/price underbidding to get the jobs then short cut all they can to break even... instead of studying the trade correctly, pricing to properly install quality craftsmanship that will last for generations.

Off my box....LOL!!!!
I agree with Mr. Tim. Fix the water leak first.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode