Looking for knarly mesquite - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for knarly mesquite

Iím looking for the opposite of what we all usually look for. I donít want straight trained defect free stock, Iím looking for a piece of mesquite thatís about 3 x 3 x 12 with some deep cracks and maybe some bug holes for good measure.

Is anybody a source, or know a source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Iím looking for the opposite of what we all usually look for. I donít want straight trained defect free stock,

I don't know where you can find any wood like that....
but that is my kind of wood.

What is your project?
post #3 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

I want to make a turning with turquoise inlace for friends who are from the southwest.
justdraftn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 06:19 PM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure about today,,, but the last time I looked west Texas had a few million acres of it...Just contact someone down there and they can send you a small piece just the size you need.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-08-2019, 07:36 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The biggest problem with using mesquite for woodworking is that it is difficult to find a 'tree" that is big enough to produce usable size wood.

Once on a trip to Lubbock I came home with 1/16 of a cord lining the cargo area of my Blazer. That wood was used for smoking in my grill.

George
post #6 of 18 Old 03-08-2019, 01:35 PM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Most convenience stores down there have mesquite,,,,,even local grocery stores have piles of it....You are only looking for a small piece so should be real easy to find, or just call some one down there and have them send you a piece.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
How big do you need? Pen size? Handle size?

If the piece will be relatively small, I wonder whether you could find what you want from a restaurant that specializes in mesquite smoked BBQ? They gotta burn a lot of mesquite every day, and if you are looking for a gnarly piece anyway, they might be able to cull one out for you.

I called a local restaurant here, and the person told me that they burn mesquite "logs." I asked about the size, and the diameter is "like a forearm."

If you live near such a restaurant, call the manager and ask. Tell them you'll pay for the piece, and I bet you can work something out. You could offer to make them a pen or a bottle opener handle from their own mesquite as a way to say thank you.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM

View SexyWood's Photo Album My Photos
I suspect this piece here is ****ty enough??? Lol
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Salvage-LAR...1/233150121667
post #9 of 18 Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

By the way, I'm about as far from Texas as you get...
post #10 of 18 Old 03-09-2019, 12:09 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Iím looking for the opposite of what we all usually look for. I donít want straight trained defect free stock, Iím looking for a piece of mesquite thatís about 3 x 3 x 12 with some deep cracks and maybe some bug holes for good measure.

Is anybody a source, or know a source?
Sounds like an interesting project Quickstep...Is it a secret......or can you share what you have planned for this...Maybe some turquoise stone and epoxy filled voids...!!!???

I will take a look this weekend to see if I can find something. By Brother-law is in AZ and works with it a fair amount as do some of my other sources...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
The biggest problem with using mesquite for woodworking is that it is difficult to find a 'tree" that is big enough to produce usable size wood...

That seems to come up every time the topic of Mesquite is discussed?

As I, and other members (like Crookedkut) have pointed out before these trees can grow (commonly) up to two-and-a-half sometimes 3 feet in diameter...Not all are bushes at all...
post #11 of 18 Old 03-09-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
Sounds like an interesting project Quickstep...Is it a secret......or can you share what you have planned for this...Maybe some turquoise stone and epoxy filled voids...
Youíre clairvoyant! Yes, itís a pepper mill with turquoise and Epoxy filled voids. I could take a piece of mesquite and rout some voids, but I donít think it would look as good as natural cracks.

If youíre able to find a piece, Iíd sure appreciate it!
post #12 of 18 Old 03-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Youíre clairvoyant! Yes, itís a pepper mill with turquoise and Epoxy filled voids. I could take a piece of mesquite and rout some voids, but I donít think it would look as good as natural cracks.

If youíre able to find a piece, Iíd sure appreciate it!
Ooh...Ooh...!!!...

You have to keep looking for the "right piece" and I will to until you do. I've seen similar "art pieces" like this over the decades Quickstep, including one of my Mothers cutting boards for meat prep...!!!!

Every single one I have seen is simply stunning and some of the finest contemporary work in woodworking I've seen, and I think you know full well by now I..."can't stand!!!"...modern woodworking of the most part...This is one aceeption that I not only admire but love doing myself, as it follows the principles of Kintsugi 金継ぎ and Wabi-sabi 侘寂. As such, I think melding the modern materials with traditional concept and practice is most worthy exploration of our craft...

I look forward to following along and helping wherever I can...

I wish I had the piece I saw last year..!!!...I found it in Texas, and it was a little under 1 cubic foot in size. It was (a root section I think?) that had a "bird's eye" and gnarl to the grain patterns almost exactly like we find in Pipe burl wood ( aka: root of Erica arborea) Both these species would serve your need rather well I think? If your open to other species, let me know and I will keep my eye out for them too. This project (and your time?) deserves the "right piece."

Also, have you considered other mineral augmentations? Like perhaps abolition shell, red fire coral, or perhaps even some "bone work" and/or inlay of gold, silver or copper ore?

I'll keep looking!!
post #13 of 18 Old 03-14-2019, 06:20 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Is everyone going to ignore my dumb idea of asking a BBQ restaurant to see if they have irregular pieces of mesquite? Are there no BBQ restaurants near @Quickstep?

As I said, I did a quick search and phoned the first local BBQ restaurant that I found. They told me that the mesquite that they use to smoke the meat is "arm size."
post #14 of 18 Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Is everyone going to ignore my dumb idea of asking a BBQ restaurant to see if they have irregular pieces of mesquite? Are there no BBQ restaurants near @Quickstep?

As I said, I did a quick search and phoned the first local BBQ restaurant that I found. They told me that the mesquite that they use to smoke the meat is "arm size."

There are quite a few BBQ/Smokehouse places around here, but I've never heard of them using Mesquite. Around these parts, it's usually Hickory or Apple.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Itís the darndest thing...

I started searching for ďBBQ Mesquite MarylandĒ to find a BBQ joint that uses Mesquite. I didnít find any BBQ places that use Mesquite, but I did discover that Home Depot sells bags of Mesquite logs in the Barbecue section. Of the bag I got, only one piece is big enough to be useful, but it was cheaper than buying lumber.

Itís partially cracked, but Iíd like more cracks. It seems pretty dry, so I have it soaking in a bucket. When it seems well saturated, I plan to put it in the oven at 212 degrees for a day and see what happens. If anyone thinks of a better way, Iím all ears.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I started searching for ďBBQ Mesquite MarylandĒ to find a BBQ joint that uses Mesquite. I didnít find any BBQ places that use Mesquite, but I did discover that Home Depot sells bags of Mesquite logs in the Barbecue section. Of the bag I got, only one piece is big enough to be useful, but it was cheaper than buying lumber.

Itís partially cracked, but Iíd like more cracks. It seems pretty dry, so I have it soaking in a bucket. When it seems well saturated, I plan to put it in the oven at 212 degrees for a day and see what happens. If anyone thinks of a better way, Iím all ears.

Watch out electric bill. What does your wife say about this? I can hear what mine would say and it would not be suitable to type on here.

George
post #17 of 18 Old 03-15-2019, 06:41 AM

View SexyWood's Photo Album My Photos
My wife is from Arkansas. She come home and smell that in the house and she would love it. We love us some pork q.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 08:35 PM
handydan

View handydan's Photo Album My Photos
I got some mesquite from a South Western restaurant in Tennessee one time. Something like Mexican food, not BBQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode