Looking for ideas to insert ebony into redheart - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Chris Curl

post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for ideas to insert ebony into redheart

Not that the species matter, I'm really looking for ideas to make a small odd shaped piece of wood and fir it into a larger piece of wood.

I'm looking to make a peppermill like the one in the attached drawing. I want to make the little doors by putting a piece of ebony into the sections that show the door shaped outline. They will need to go fairly deep into the unturned square piece so they don't get turned out when I do the turning. Also, note that the pieces are pretty small, so I'm not quite sure how to fabricate them. Also not sure how to cut the hole they'll go into to ensure a clean fit. Was thinking of a forstner bit and a mortise cutter, but I'm very much up for better suggestions
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-14-2016, 01:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The hard way vs the easy way ...

Obviously you can chisel out an opening and try to fit the odd shaped piece into it... the hard way.

I would make the section in 2 pieces, having a joint line at the door sill. Create the rounded door top using a cove bit in the router and go right across the whole section in a straight line. Then glue in the door piece, sand it flat and then glue on the second part of the section. .... the easy way. Yes, there will be a joint line, but if you are careful matching the grain, it won't show... much.
mat 60 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Start with matching to the cutters you have. If you have a mortise machine and the chisels, choose the size, match a drill bit to the width of the machine chisel. Make a test cut in a block. The "door"shape should be simple, cut a rectangle to size then run a round over bit to match the drill bit hole. Make a long enough piece to handle, 12" or more. It should slip into the slot like a key. Don't worry about going all the way through, come in from both faces. Use a gap filling adhesive since you can't clamp effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Reviving this thread

I put this project on the shelf for a while, but now I'm wanting to get back into it.

I made some test pieces using the sizes of mortising bits I had and matching the part with the arc using a forstner bit. I then shaped the insert to match. The shapes fit together nicely, but the sides of the mortise were rough, so when I turned the piece, those ragged edges showed up. Any ideas on how to cut those sides to make them smoother? I tried with a chisel, but I evidently don't have the skills to improve the cut.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
How about turning it 90% or so first and then putting the insert in? Then you won't need to take as much off when you turn the last 10% or so, and the opening of the mortise will hopefully be cleaner.

This is just a rambling thought from someone who would love to have a lathe, but doesn't have one yet ...
difalkner likes this.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #6 of 6 Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
How about turning it 90% or so first and then putting the insert in? Then you won't need to take as much off when you turn the last 10% or so, and the opening of the mortise will hopefully be cleaner.

This is just a rambling thought from someone who would love to have a lathe, but doesn't have one yet ...
That's exactly what I was going to suggest, Chris. I've done that very thing a fair amount though not on the lathe. It not only saves the pricey Ebony but does just what Chris said.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode