Looking for hinge ID assistance - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

View dpeters11's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for hinge ID assistance

I'm hoping someone can help me. We have a broken hinge on a kitchen cabinet, and I'm trying to fix it while my wife is out of town. The problem is, I don't know that much about this subject, and I have no idea what kind of hinge this is, it's not like anything I've seen before.

I've attached shots of two sides of the bad hinge, the part that screws into the cabinet, the good hinge (these two got reversed in the post) and the cabinet itself, it's an odd cabinet overall. The bad hinge is on the right side, not the 90 degree part. Of course the pics aren't rotated on my system, but are rotated here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad hinge1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	20532  

Name:	bad hinge2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	20533  

Name:	Good Hinge.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	20534  

Name:	Cabinet Side.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	20535  

Name:	outside closed.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	20536  

Last edited by dpeters11; 02-01-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Looks to be a KB or grass 180 degree. You don't have to use the exact brand. Go on to Blum.com look up 180 degree corner hinge. There all standard European hinges 35 millimeter which is the size of the hole in the door. Make sure you specify you have a full overlay door. You want a full overlay. 180 corner hinge good luck. You can call Blunt customer service there very helpful
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

View dpeters11's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks. I looked around, the closest thing I can find is this, a 170 degree Blum cliptop. Since the cabinet doesn't really open a full 180, would this work, if I got the full? From the description they have on Amazon, I like the idea of tool-less mounting, would make it much easier to do myself.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5266
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
yeah that one will work. The tooless is definitely great it all we use. Simply insert into 35milimeter hole and close the hinged flap and you're done. The plate that mounts to the cabinet has plastic inserts that push into hole.you're cabinet may not have holes drilled for this but don't worry. Hold the plastic sleeve with plyers and take out the screw that holds it. Than You can screw the plate to the cabinet side
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
you might want to replace all the hinges on that actual door

Fyi.... You might want to replace all the hinges on that door..... The hinges are designed to work together, and if you aren't replacing with the exact same hinge that was busted, then when you go to open it, it might open at with a different swing arc, and put more strain on the hinges, prematurely wearing them out again. When you have the same hinges throughout the door, then you won't have that problem, and they should last you a long time.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
Fyi.... You might want to replace all the hinges on that door..... The hinges are designed to work together, and if you aren't replacing with the exact same hinge that was busted, then when you go to open it, it might open at with a different swing arc, and put more strain on the hinges, prematurely wearing them out again. When you have the same hinges throughout the door, then you won't have that problem, and they should last you a long time.

Good advice. Couldn't tell from the pictures if the hinges in question were the ones from the door to the face frame, or between doors (where one door is hinged off the other).

Hinges could be dowel type, and the plastic dowel removed, and then the hinge can be screwed in, as suggested. Mounting plates just get screwed in. AFIK.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM

View lauriem's Photo Album My Photos
That's a European/blum hinge. Hardwaresource.com has a big variety of these in various sizes. This should get you you to the hinges you need: http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...-+Blum+Hinges/ or http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...ges%2C+Generic. If you can't find them, let me know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode