Looking to get shop heater... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

View DaveInPA's Photo Album My Photos
Looking to get shop heater...

I hoped to go through this winter without the need for a heater in my new barn shop but m about to give up. As of now the space isn't insulated on any sides or ceiling and it's not really a finished space. That said I was thinking a wood burning stove would be best as I have plenty of wood and logs to burn. It's a 400 sq ft space with a concrete floor.

All the wood stoves I've seen seem like overkill and I'd roast in the shop. Any suggestions for a compact stove for this type of space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
First thing would be to insulate it. Otherwise, you will be wasting time and $$$ to heat it. I have a shop in what was the garage. The door is uninsulated. My wife took it on herself to seal off the edges of the door to cut down on air from the outside. Then she stapled a piece of heavy plastic over the door. I was surprised at how much it helped the temp in the shop. Did I say my wife loves me?
After insulating, there are a number of ways to heat it. The only thing, to me, with an open flame as a wood stove would be the amount of fine dust in the air. I have a small shop that I heat with a 1500 watt IR heater that looks like a wood stove.
FWIW, temp in the shop 9:15 AM was about 56 degrees. Now it is 64 degrees after 90 minutes.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
You could take a look at marine wood stoves but I think they might be cost prohibitive. Like Pineknot said you might be better off putting your money toward insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM

View Cynical Roland's Photo Album My Photos
Ger yourself a cheap steel stove, cover it with clay bricks or rocks (just like in sauna).The longer the pipe/chimney the more heat you will get. And some kind of fan would be good, to mix circulate heat from wood stove.
I got my steel stove for 60euros. I bet you can find even cheaper at your place.
Without insulation it wont be so effective.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-21-2016, 03:42 PM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInPA View Post
I hoped to go through this winter without the need for a heater in my new barn shop but m about to give up. As of now the space isn't insulated on any sides or ceiling and it's not really a finished space. That said I was thinking a wood burning stove would be best as I have plenty of wood and logs to burn. It's a 400 sq ft space with a concrete floor.

All the wood stoves I've seen seem like overkill and I'd roast in the shop. Any suggestions for a compact stove for this type of space?
When I had a stove in my shop, I used a window as a thermostat.... You'd be surprised how good it works ....
post #6 of 11 Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 PM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
I spent the money on a little buddy propane heater. It does have an exposed flame so its probably not as finish safe as some other types of heaters. It does have a carbon monoxide automatic shutoff. It worked real well in my 2 car garage when I loved in Utah.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 02:45 PM

View dtsdig's Photo Album My Photos
I've been through a few different attempts at heating my 2 car garage shop in Upstate NY over the past couple of years. I tried a few different 1500W infrared heaters and other ceramic type electric units, all worthless. Then I tried the propane burning little burner type then eventually bought a Big Buddy and hooked it to a 20lb propane tank. While that one did ok, it still took hours to heat up the uninsulated garage a few degrees. Finally, I bought a 75000 BTU salamander unit that I use with Kerosene and it takes the entire space into the high 70's within 35 minutes or so even while it is in the single digits outside! I keep a door cracked for the fumes and fresh air, and kerosene is definitely not ideal, but there is nothing else that can heat my garage like that.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 03:20 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInPA View Post

Your location and the fact your barn isn't insulated you will need quite a bit of heat to counter that. I would get a kit and convert a steel drum into a wood stove.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
dtsdig, why didn't you insulate the garage? Styrofoam sheets glued to the garage door would be a big help to start.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 10:31 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Your location and the fact your barn isn't insulated you will need quite a bit of heat to counter that. I would get a kit and convert a steel drum into a wood stove.

Exactly !
I did that heating an uninsulated 24 x 24 garage years ago, only I made my own conversion from 1/4" plate .
A 55 gallon drum gives off heat fast and is surprisingly durable.
Used to burn a lot of slab wood back then as it was dirt cheap to get.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 10:55 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hugger View Post
Exactly !
I did that heating an uninsulated 24 x 24 garage years ago, only I made my own conversion from 1/4" plate .
A 55 gallon drum gives off heat fast and is surprisingly durable.
Used to burn a lot of slab wood back then as it was dirt cheap to get.
I have a 1400 sq ft building with 12' walls and behind the building I built a small building with steel studs and sheetrock big enough to hold a drum stove. From there I have a furnace blower blow air from the shop through that room into the shop. I'm able to get the inside temp about 30 degrees above what is outdoors. I'm in Texas and winter temps usually run 40-45 degrees. Rarely does it get below freezing. The blower also spreads the heat around the building pretty good even though I don't have any directional fins on the output.
Tree Hugger likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode