Looking for a Fan - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 06-20-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
LRM

View LRM's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for a Fan

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a fan for my shop. I am looking to spend between $100-150. I've looked at most of these from Home Depot and Harbor Freight. They all look decent but some of the reviews are pretty bad. Anyone know where I can get a fan that moves a lot of air in my price range?

Zack M.
LRM (Dad) 8/18/1943 - 4/1/2017
https://www.methvinscasketcompany.com/
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him". - Colossians 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I bought THIS fan from SAMS Club several years ago. Very pleased with it.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I bought THIS fan from SAMS Club several years ago. Very pleased with it.
Does it move a lot of air?

My shop is actually my garage and here in Texas it gets really hot and humid so I am looking for something that really moves a lot of air.

Zack M.
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him". - Colossians 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Moves a lot of air to where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRM View Post
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a fan for my shop. I am looking to spend between $100-150. I've looked at most of these from Home Depot and Harbor Freight. They all look decent but some of the reviews are pretty bad. Anyone know where I can get a fan that moves a lot of air in my price range?

Exhausting dust filled air is one thing. Moving air to cool your self is different. I have two 3 speed overhead ceiling fans in my shop for circulating the air that's there. I have an air filtration unit Jet AFS1000 for cleaning the air that's there. I have a ceiling exhaust fan for removing the air that's there.

What is it you want to do?

If you move too much air, you'll end up blowing sawdust all over. You don't need that much moving air to keep you cool.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 28 Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You might talk to a heating and air conditioning place. A furnace blower makes a really good fan. They probably through them away by the truck load.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Does it move a lot of air?
Quote:

My shop is actually my garage and here in Texas it gets really hot and humid so I am looking for something that really moves a lot of air.

Yes, it moves a lot of air. You can use it to blow on you or put it in the garage door entrance to exhaust air from the garage. In this last it is best if you have some opening toward the rear of the garage.

Where are you in Texas.

George
post #7 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 09:37 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Check Northern Tool.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_fans

If you are patient they have some extraordinary sales. Find the item you like and check on it daily.

I bought a welding table that was listed at $399.00 and frequently was on sale at $329.00 but finally was on sale at $199.00 (when I bought it). It then went back to $399.00 and just recently revisited $199.00.

Everything I bought from them was of excellent quality. They deliver quickly and they are a reputable company. They also have stores but the nearest is about 600 miles from me so I only buy online.

This one is more than you wanted to spend, but at $200.00 off list it is a bargain: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0323_200660323
LRM likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 09:38 AM

View NoNails's Photo Album My Photos
Tractor Supply has multiple sizes up to a 4-ft diameter. I mounted an 18-in upside down from the ceiling and have a 30 in on rollers when I need to move a lot.
AmishElectricCo and LRM like this.

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Final, You Must Learn to be Slow in a Hurry!
post #9 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 09:53 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
My "shop" is my garage, in Florida, in summer. It gets hot, on top of being humid.

I found that a cheap 7" desk clip-on fan works perfectly to help keep me cooler. It's clipped to a shelf 3 feet away from my work/standing space, it's small factor doesn't get in my way, and it's not so powerful that it blows dust everywhere. It's also quiet, which is important to me. As far as longevity, it's a $10 fan; I don't expect it to last me forever (2-3 summers if I'm lucky?). It'll get dust in the motor eventually, the bearings/bushings will fail ... and I'll buy another one.
LRM likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Exhausting dust filled air is one thing. Moving air to cool your self is different. I have two 3 speed overhead ceiling fans in my shop for circulating the air that's there. I have an air filtration unit Jet AFS1000 for cleaning the air that's there. I have a ceiling exhaust fan for removing the air that's there.

What is it you want to do? I'm just looking for something to keep me from having a heat stroke.

If you move too much air, you'll end up blowing sawdust all over. You don't need that much moving air to keep you cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You might talk to a heating and air conditioning place. A furnace blower makes a really good fan. They probably through them away by the truck load.

That's a good idea. Those little fan blow pretty hard. I might check and see what I can find.

Zack M.
post #11 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
[RIGHT]

Yes, it moves a lot of air. You can use it to blow on you or put it in the garage door entrance to exhaust air from the garage. In this last it is best if you have some opening toward the rear of the garage.

Where are you in Texas.

George
I will check those out this weekend. I know from the days I was a Police Officer, the Fire Dept.'s used a fan similar to clear smoke out of houses and they worked really good. Of course those were larger but the same basic design/concept.

I'm in Longview Texas (125 miles easy of Dallas)

Zack M.
post #12 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
LRM

Thanks guys, I will check out Northern Tool and Tractor Supply as well.

Zack M.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Once you order from Norther Tool they send frequent updates. I got this ad this morning.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...&mid=651789121

The fan was $310.00 and is now $170.00.

I get free shipping on everything. I don't know why that is. Possibly because I have passed some dollar amount threshold. I don't recall signing up for anything.

I put in a whole house attic fan in my home. If you have a way to install a powerful exhaust fan it will probably add more to your comfort than a direct fan would.
LRM likes this.

Last edited by Packard; 06-21-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I'm watching the Louisville-Vanderbilt game. There are hundreds of fans there.

I'm lucky as my shop has an AC vent as it is in the basement.
LRM likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
I'm watching the Louisville-Vanderbilt game. There are hundreds of fans there.

I'm lucky as my shop has an AC vent as it is in the basement.
Hahahaha, I wish my garage had an A/C vent.

Zack M.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha, I wish my garage had an A/C vent.

You might be surprised at just how little it might cost you to put in a window unit. If your garage had a modicum of insulation a window unit can do a good job. I paid somewhere between $300 and 400 for my unit and it does a good job of cooling the whole garage.

George
post #17 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
LRM

George. That is exactly what I wish I could do. I have a new window unit that I paid $500 for a couple years back. The problem is my house is a rent house and it is brick exterior. There no way I would be allowed to punch a hole in the brick to drop in an A/C unit. That would be the perfect option though.

Zack M.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I would suggest on of these.

https://www.amazon.com/B-Air-VP-25-D...44374234&psc=1

The beauty is it blows a lot of air from the cooler (concrete) floor. My son and I used one when re-constructing a 14x24 shed on the rear of his garage. the temp was 95 with 90% humidity day and night that week. It SAVED us.
LRM likes this.

Gary
post #19 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
I would suggest on of these.

https://www.amazon.com/B-Air-VP-25-D...44374234&psc=1

The beauty is it blows a lot of air from the cooler (concrete) floor. My son and I used one when re-constructing a 14x24 shed on the rear of his garage. the temp was 95 with 90% humidity day and night that week. It SAVED us.
Thanks, I am heading to Lowe's, HF, HD, Tractor Supply and Atwoods today to compare fans. I will be sure to check this out.

Zack M.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, our gun club has one of the ventless Mitsubishi units in the club house. Just hangs on the wall.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode