Looking for advice on removing Window Stool extention - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

View Love_Woodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Post Looking for advice on removing Window Stool extention

Hello

I would like to replace my exciting window colonial trim and install a wider trim. Doing so will impact the stool extension reveal.
My question is how can I remove the existing extension without damaging the window sill? A photo is attached.
I really can't say how it was installed. The thickness is roughly 1 1/8".

I reviewed many treads but couldn't find anything that is close to my situation. I appropriate any help that is offered.
Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window stool.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	338425  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Those are normally part of the window jamb which goes all the way under the window to outside. Your best bet replacing it would be to remove the casing around the window and saw it off with a sawzall. To add wood back you would have to have some kind of trim under it to support the new wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Love_Woodworking (01-30-2018)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
In my experience, window sills are generally one piece of wood.

You write like your is extended by a piece of wood being added to the sill.

Often the window sill is the last piece installed. In that case you can just remove the sill and cut to whatever size you want. When the jam is on top of the sill it causes another problem. You could remove the jam and then the sill.

It depends upon how the window frame is constructed and just how much work you want to do.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 05:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Got a sharp thin pry blade?

Hopefully it's just nailed on at the step and not a 1 piece stool. That wouldn't make any sense, but you never know. It will pry apart better if you run a Stanley knife in the step to break the paint cleanly. A multi-tool would be the last resort if you have to cut it....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-30-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 06:01 PM

View barbourman04's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a piece of trim under it? Sometime people will nail it to the bottom of the legs and then put a piece under the sill to support it. Either way, with it having a 1/4" reveal on the actual jamb, I doubt that it all 1 piece and should come off pretty easy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to barbourman04 For This Useful Post:
Love_Woodworking (01-30-2018)
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

View Love_Woodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Those are normally part of the window jamb which goes all the way under the window to outside. Your best bet replacing it would be to remove the casing around the window and saw it off with a sawzall. To add wood back you would have to have some kind of trim under it to support the new wood.
Thanks Steve
The lip between the stool and the extension suggests to me that this is not one piece. However, do you think that I can easily remove the entire stool (even if it is one piece piece) without damaging the window casing?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 06:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Woodworking View Post
Thanks Steve
The lip between the stool and the extension suggests to me that this is not one piece. However, do you think that I can easily remove the entire stool (even if it is one piece piece) without damaging the window casing?
It is possible the stool is an added on piece. If that is the case you would have to remove the casing and try to drive it up with a block of wood and a hammer. If it's one piece you would have to take the window out of the house completely to remove it as it would either be attached from the bottom or inserted into a dado.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 06:28 PM

View sonofasmith's Photo Album My Photos
I've removed trim keeping it intact by running a razor knife down the joint to cut the paint/caulk, then I tap in a small thin putty knife and wiggle it till you get a large enough opening for a pry bar.

You can pry carefully or what I've been doing lately is using the putty knife to locate the nails and then zip through them with an oscillating multi tool.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 07:11 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
All of my windows have an extension like the one youíve shown. On mine, theyíre attached with trim screws. If yours are attached with screws, you wonít be able to pry them off without messing up the sill.

Assuming you donít want to save the stool, Iíd be inclined to split it in order to find the fasteners, then remove the fasteners by prying on the remaining wood. After that, it should be easy to remove the remaining wood. Unless itís glued too, then youíve got a whole different kettle of fish.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I have installed several extensions like the one in the photo. The ones I have cut and installed that went under the window, didn't have a joint/seam like this one. The way I installed the extensions was to drill a hole just a hair smaller then the nail and I used 10d finish nails. I also nailed up into the bottom of the casing and nailed into the apron also all joints glued.

Chances are you will not remove that extension without splintering it, I never was able to.

The way I would remove it, I would cut the caulk/paint around the apron and remove it carefully if possible without damaging. If you don't cut the caulk chances are you will peel a strip of the sheet rock paper off. Split the extension from one end to the other to see how it is attached, then remove the fasteners and go from there. You may have to sand, plane or use a very sharp chisel to clean the sill edge in order to add new extension. JMHO

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 01-30-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode