Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.

I have read of several guys that have successfully done it. I figured most of the naysayers which up until now included myself have never actually tried it. So, I decided to give it a whirl. It actually worked pretty good. It was way faster than my drum sander. It can't be good for planer blades, but mine needed changed anyway. Even though it does work I still don't recommend you try it.

Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-3700637547.jpg

Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-3442854836.jpg

I also used my jointer to clean up the edges, but from earlier experience I already knew this would work.

Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-3963084033.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Glad it worked out well for you mate, but please, anybody reading this, don't try this one at home. Its 50/50 on this working, and when it doesn't work, well, you end up with a very thick slab of maple launched at a considerable rate of speed. It also blunts the blades incredibly fast, and yes, I'm speaking from experience on both counts.

On a happier note, good looking boards there mate, I really don't want to detract from that. Glad you got out with all your fingers intact too

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 08:52 AM

View arvanlaar's Photo Album My Photos
Wait I must be missing something... How do you usually make a cutting board? I guess you can use a hand plane right? But what other methods are there?

That is a nice looking board though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Novice maker of sawdust

View LVWood's Photo Album My Photos
Your saving grace was the maple strip in front.
Try it without one.

I'v seen MTMWood do it many times in his video's, in most cases he uses a sacrificial strip.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Novice maker of sawdust

View LVWood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
Wait I must be missing something... How do you usually make a cutting board? I guess you can use a hand plane right? But what other methods are there?

That is a nice looking board though!
Drum or belt sander.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
I have read of several guys that have successfully done it. I figured most of the naysayers which up until now included myself have never actually tried it.
I read idiotic stuff every day on this site from guys with little to NO real world experience and mostly just laugh it off and find a different thread to read.

A good many of the members here only 'know' what they read in a stupid magazine and they seem to believe that particular way must be the way the professionals do it...

Great job BTW. Looks flawless.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnealWoodworking For This Useful Post:
UnisawGuy (12-23-2015)
post #7 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments guys. I think the board looks really good. This board has edge and end grain maple in it. The edge grain wood is much brighter when oiled. I will post a picture of it oiled tomorrow.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 01:03 AM

View ed_h's Photo Album My Photos
I've done endgrain planing quite a few times. I consider it a useful technique, but it has to be done carefully. In my experience, sharp knives, light cuts, and a stout machine contribute to a successful job. Also, the trailing edge of the workpiece shouldn't be endgrain--it will split off.

Ed

For just a little more, you can do it yourself.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work!!

By all accounts here you have looked into the eyes of death, and lived to tell about it... :)

You are now part of the brotherhood, I'm proud to be a member myself.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Here are the end grain boards I have made. Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-327156965.jpg Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-4198357273.jpg Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-2586180872.jpg Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-696907587.jpg The jointer works great for cleaning up the edges. I have used it to clean up the edges on every board.,

Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-1347232459.jpg

Look what I did! End grain cutting board through planer.-image-3295371300.jpg

Last edited by hwebb99; 12-23-2015 at 03:44 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Wow looks awesome. I got tons of tear out when I tried to clean up edges on one's I built.

Are you concerned at all at mixing edge and end grain? I've seen guys talk about wood movement causing splitting.

They look awesome....
post #12 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast
Wow looks awesome. I got tons of tear out when I tried to clean up edges on one's I built. Are you concerned at all at mixing edge and end grain? I've seen guys talk about wood movement causing splitting. They look awesome....
I never thought of that. I honestly don't think it will be a problem, but only time will tell. These are all gifts for family members, so I can fix them if they crack.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 AM

View Pcride's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't know planning end grain is dangerous! Good to know. I guess if you take no more than 32th or less at a time there would be less worry on the planner?

The jointer I could see creating a dangerous situation. The correct way to finish the shape of the cutting board is to 1) make the board slightly larger then, plane your work then use a table saw with sled to cut your final size. No need to use a jointer. This will avoid chip out. Take a look at MTMwood on YouTube.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Wood-a-holic

View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
End grain is incredibly hard on planer and jointer blades, so light passes are a must. What saved you was the edge grain on the trailing end of the board. If it had been edge grain, the chances of nasty blow out would have been great. I don't know that I'd call it "dangerous", but probably not a good idea to stand directly behind the planer as it finishes the pass.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

The jointer is taking very light passes. The boards are over 20 inches long. I don't have a cross cut sled that big. Also if you didn't glue up the board perfectly square the table saw makes it square. This makes your last strip crooked, and it is extremely noticeable. The jointer cleans up the edge, but doesn't change the shape of the board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode