Local Mills - - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
Local Mills -

I just read BHOFM's last thread (about being cheap ) and I have to say:
For those that have never been to a "local" (mom & pop) lumber mill. You have to try it. Every time I go, I look into the "scrap" corner to see what they're throwing out. 9 times outta 10 there's a great find.

Last time, I saw a 6 by 3 foot, hard maple butcher block top (glued on end- 2 inches thick). There was a tiny nick in the middle. Asked how much? He said you tell me? I said 'how bout 10 bucks? Sold American!

Now I have a 3 by 3 foot fancy cutting board for the family Canadian cottage. And I made about 20 sweet cutting boards to give away for Christmas presents - all for 10 bucks! Am I becoming cheap?

P.S. On that trip to the mill I spent 200 bucks on oak. And probably would have spent at least $300 at the "box stores". Plus I was helping out a local, family run operation. See... you can be cheap and still help out a good cause!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 PM

View Shamus's Photo Album My Photos
Frugal yes, cheap nope, not me.

By the way, what mill are you going to in Columbiana. That's my ol stomp'in grounds. I have a need for some 5/4 walnut. The mills here in Sugarcreek are still pretty pricy due to all the Amish furniture shops around.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
My brother runs a Woodmiser bandsaw mill, so every time I go to his place I rummage through his "scrap " pile. What he considers not worth bothering with has generated some pretty interesting and useful projects for me. Am I cheap? Damn straight!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
every time I go to his place I rummage through his "scrap " pile.
I have what I call "The $5 wall"...stuff just too good to throw out that is "scrap" from the milling process. Anything on the wall is just $5 and there is a little of everything. Some guys (box makers, clockmakers...) can make 2-3-4 projects out of one piece off the $5 wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wall.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	5249  

post #5 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Buying from the local mill helps keep them in business and keeps your money local. They also have some real nice lumber to choose from in most cases. I had a band saw mill come to the house years ago and mill several of my red and white oak trees. I ended up with some beautiful lumber! Red

Red
post #6 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 PM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
Daren
What's in front of the wood? Is that a home made thickness sander?
Chris
post #7 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredc View Post
Daren
What's in front of the wood? Is that a home made thickness sander?
Chris
. I am working on installing a belt drive feed set up (you can see the belt just draped over it for now) I may shoot you a PM since you are an electrician. I have some DC motor control questions . Here is a thread about the build so far. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5867
post #8 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Geez Daren, I wish your wall of $5 wood lived near me. Of course, my wife wouldn't . Now that the mill near me has a crazy contraption that is a combo of planer/jointer and sander and can joint and sand a 17" wide 6' long piece brazilian cherry in about 30 seconds, I can take all sorts of crazy pieces of wood and end up with nice straight smooth pieces.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #9 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Hey Shamus, my favorite mill is Baird Brothers. They're pretty big, but still family run. I watched a guy carry a beautiful slab of walnut out the last time i was there.

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/

Daren, I love that drum sander. I happen to have most of the equipment to build it (even the motor). But I don't know if I have the patience (or skill) to do it. Fun idea, thanks.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 AM

View Shamus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarionflyer View Post
Hey Shamus, my favorite mill is Baird Brothers. They're pretty big, but still family run. I watched a guy carry a beautiful slab of walnut out the last time i was there.

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/
Thanks, I've been to Baird several times but it's been a while. I had heard through the grapevine that there was another mill of some size in Lisbon and thought that might be your source. I need to take a drive over there and snoop around. I'll let your know if I find who/where it is.

I had a home on Rt 14, east of Columbiana proper, next to 4WD hardware. Lived there for about 10 yrs until he bought me out.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how things are faring down there, with the big sawmills, but up here, since the collapse of the US housing market, [ours is finally slowing down] most of our big mills, and their support infrastructure, are shutting down. The little guys, like my brother, and many others like him, are still motoring along. It is sad to watch a once thriving mainstay of our province going under, but there doesn't seem to be much anybody can do to stop it.

Gerry
post #12 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I once called in to loacl mill and collected piece of reject timber 2" x 24 x 6ft. Made a fantastic work bench.
johnep
post #13 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Shamus, you might be talking about DeNoon's lumber mill (near Salineville). A friend (pro - high end furniture maker) gets a lot of wood there, especially cherry. I haven't been down there yet, but heard great things. He brings a trailer, all the way in from PA.

http://www.denoon.com/
post #14 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
It's also good to get to know local companies who manufacture wood products like cabinets and the like. Quite often you can get free wood from their scrap bins or wood that they do not want. I recently got a full truck load of long boards including roasted maple, butternut, maple, oak and walnut. It pays to make a few phone calls.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode