Local LumberYard Map - US - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

View Johnnie_dr's Photo Album My Photos
Local LumberYard Map - US

Howdy,

The most recent issue of Popular Woodworking magazine has a link to it's "lumberyard map". Useful in finding real lumberyards instead of the big-box stores. Just thought I'd pass it on...

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/local-lumberyard-map

Johnnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 09:01 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
This is cool, thanks. I found one nearby that I wasnít aware of before. Thanks.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 10:32 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I learned about a couple "less local" lumberyards. Unfortunately, the map also missed many real lumberyards in my area, including one called "Reel Lumber". :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 01:17 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
Lots of places in Oregon missing from their list.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #5 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 02:22 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Not very good for the South. Looks like mostly people in Northeast responded to survey.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 03:01 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Apparently it is a live map, you can still add locations if you wish.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 03-04-2018 at 03:33 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 03:29 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Missing 2 in Nashville.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-04-2018, 04:54 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
That's even worse than Woodfinder, which misses tons of lumberyards in my area.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

View Johnnie_dr's Photo Album My Photos
As FrankC. pointed out....and also states in the copy on the page

It is an "active" survey and asks if you'd like to submit more local yards. So... add the ones in your area and help to update the map.

J.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie_dr View Post
As FrankC. pointed out....and also states in the copy on the page

It is an "active" survey and asks if you'd like to submit more local yards. So... add the ones in your area and help to update the map.

J.
Which, of course, I've done. But that doesn't help someone who is looking for local yards, does it? When I moved almost 2 years ago, I looked, only to find that there are no local yards, the closest yard to me is about 60 miles away, one that I used before I moved, but it isn't listed on either site, nor are 3 other sites in that range. If I had no personal experience, I'd have thought the closest yard was 100 miles away.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Amazing, Popular Woodworking is giving people a way to help themselves, and still they are being criticized for not doing enough.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #12 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 02:49 PM

No one is criticizing them for trying, only for being so absurdly incomplete. There really should be a resource out there that shows every single dealer across the country, good, bad or otherwise. Then people can either rate them or make their own determinations whether they want to shop there or not. But if you don't know that these places exist at all, and neither the PW or Woodfinder sites show a massive number of sites, then what use are they unless you live in an area with lots of dealers available? How does it help people?
post #13 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
No one is criticizing them for trying, only for being so absurdly incomplete. There really should be a resource out there that shows every single dealer across the country, good, bad or otherwise. Then people can either rate them or make their own determinations whether they want to shop there or not. But if you don't know that these places exist at all, and neither the PW or Woodfinder sites show a massive number of sites, then what use are they unless you live in an area with lots of dealers available? How does it help people?
Nobody owes anyone such a resource, you can be part of the problem or part of the solution, the platform is out there, everyone just has to give, instead expecting to be spoon fed.

FrankC
post #14 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhotographer View Post
Lots of places in Oregon missing from their list.
So I added my two favorites.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #15 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Nobody owes anyone such a resource, you can be part of the problem or part of the solution, the platform is out there, everyone just has to give, instead expecting to be spoon fed.
Nobody owes anyone such a thing but it would be undeniably useful. And for people who are looking for suppliers, if these sites want to be useful resources, requiring everyone to go looking for their own yards, why would anyone visit these sites which, presumably, want eyes on their advertisements? It isn't like they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts or anything.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-05-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Nobody owes anyone such a thing but it would be undeniably useful. And for people who are looking for suppliers, if these sites want to be useful resources, requiring everyone to go looking for their own yards, why would anyone visit these sites which, presumably, want eyes on their advertisements? It isn't like they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts or anything.
There is nothing stopping you from developing such a site, hopefully you can figure out how to pay for it without bothering anyone with those pesky ads.
Johnnie_dr likes this.

FrankC
post #17 of 21 Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I plan to contribute my local lumberyards to the new database. What is there to lose? By the way, my local lumberyards have been rated on Yelp, for what that is worth.
FrankC likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I plan to contribute my local lumberyards to the new database. What is there to lose? By the way, my local lumberyards have been rated on Yelp, for what that is worth.
Nothing is wrong with it, my point is that the databases are really only useful if people have ALREADY contributed their local yards to it so that future people coming to the site can see them. Because if you already know those yards are there, you don't need those sites, do you? I contributed my local yards too, to help out people looking in the future, but for me, moving to a place where I had no idea if there were local yards or not (and there weren't), those sites didn't help one bit because they were both inaccurate and woefully incomplete. That was the point.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I have some local lumber suppliers that arenít on the map, but Iím not sure what the standards are for being listed.

One supplies mostly domestic hardwoods, but the hardwood suppliers on the map, that Iíve visited, have lots of exotics as well.

The other is a local mill. All the wood is regional and you never know whatís going to be available at any point in time, but it is by far the least expensive way for me to buy lumber. I usually buy 250-300 board feet at a time, date it, and store it for future use. There is no showroom or anything, just a big storage shed you drive into. Sometimes the wood is graded, other times not, but the price reflects it.

Do you share these places with others, only to be disappointed when they drive there to find the perfect board, and find out thatís not what the particular supplier does? I would think there would have to be some standard or qualifications to be listed.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
I have some local lumber suppliers that arenít on the map, but Iím not sure what the standards are for being listed.

One supplies mostly domestic hardwoods, but the hardwood suppliers on the map, that Iíve visited, have lots of exotics as well.

The other is a local mill. All the wood is regional and you never know whatís going to be available at any point in time, but it is by far the least expensive way for me to buy lumber. I usually buy 250-300 board feet at a time, date it, and store it for future use. There is no showroom or anything, just a big storage shed you drive into. Sometimes the wood is graded, other times not, but the price reflects it.

Do you share these places with others, only to be disappointed when they drive there to find the perfect board, and find out thatís not what the particular supplier does? I would think there would have to be some standard or qualifications to be listed.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
There are comments at the bottom of each listing where these things can be noted.

FrankC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode