Live edge walnut slab benches - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

View ed22's Photo Album My Photos
Live edge walnut slab benches

Hello all. I had a walnut log sawn into 2.5 inch slabs intending on making some single slab benches. I air dried for about 6 months stickered in a loft and the ends painted. I know this isn't long enough by rule of thumb, but I couldn't wait! I kept one of the better looking ones in my house for another month before I began flattening and sanding. My cheap meter read MC around 12 to 14%. I went ahead and added bowties and finished it, but now am worried I didn't let it dry enough. I haven't attached the simple steel legs yet, is this dry enough to be used indoors? I'm your experience, will the movement be enough to cause a split,twist, etc. My intent is to sell and don't want angry customers down the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2016, 08:43 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
there are many factors. but in my opinion, if you are still at 12-14 %mc, it is not done moving yet. 2.5" is very thick for air drying to get the moisture out of the center.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

View ed22's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the reply. Ok, it will move but won't the thickness and the fact no joinery exists (only four screws or so holding the legs)make the movement less of an issue? Or am I missing something entirely? This is my first attempt at log to furniture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-14-2016, 06:53 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed22 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Ok, it will move but won't the thickness and the fact no joinery exists (only four screws or so holding the legs)make the movement less of an issue? Or am I missing something entirely? This is my first attempt at log to furniture!
hard to say if the expansion/contraction in the future will alter the flatness, or cause more splits. good luck.

you are correct, the limited attachments will help the cause.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode