Live edge walnut slab - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 35015
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By Ciscokid

post #1 of 8 Old 03-24-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

View Ciscokid's Photo Album My Photos
Live edge walnut slab

Newbie here and first post, first time flattening wood slab and was needing advise on routing against the grain or with the grain on slab. Have already built flattening sled and fixing to dig in. Best guess would be against the grain, but need advise from seasoned veterans. Added photo but not very computer savvy so don't know if it worked. Anyway a little advise much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	350610  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
...Have already built flattening sled and fixing to dig in...
Hello,

???...By there nature, flattening sleds that employ routers tend to work "across grain," (kind'a like a scrub plane does) not with or against it...per se. Just make sure you have and keep the bit sharp.

Good Luck,

j
Tennessee Tim likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2018, 09:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are flattening the face you wouldn't be going against the grain. That happens when you are routing an edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you are flattening the face you wouldn't be going against the grain. That happens when you are routing an edge.
!!!! With AND AGAINST would be in the same basic parallel direction as the grain whether your on the edge or face....EVEN at that MOST of the time against is when the fibers are in the up direction (more than true parallel/180 deg) which causes tearout as the fibers/grain are angled slightly up/out and the cutter is rotating up against them.
35015 likes this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
!!!! With AND AGAINST would be in the same basic parallel direction as the grain whether your on the edge or face....EVEN at that MOST of the time against is when the fibers are in the up direction (more than true parallel/180 deg) which causes tearout as the fibers/grain are angled slightly up/out and the cutter is rotating up against them.
I've never in my life had the smallest tear out routing the face of wood. The bit is running perpendicular to the grain in a circular motion where running the edge you have the potential of the cutting edge pulling up on the grain.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I've never in my life had the smallest tear out routing the face of wood. The bit is running perpendicular to the grain in a circular motion where running the edge you have the potential of the cutting edge pulling up on the grain.
What...???

Steve, just think about this for a minute...

If you have a plank that is...lets say...6" thick, by 14" wide by 8' long...The kind that would be employed for making the top of a traditional workbench for example.

If you used a sled with router to flatten that it would be moving..."accross grain"...just as I posted before...just like a scrub plane is typically used, or at minimum (usually) in an oblique fashion.

However, if I try to plunge into the face of that plank with something like a 3/4" double flute router bit it very easily could set up a dangerous "climb cut" that unless I was very aware of it, and doing it for a specific reason, someone could very much have a very bad accident....

Last edited by 35015; 03-25-2018 at 12:59 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
What...???

Steve, just think about this for a minute...

If you have a plank that is...lets say...6" thick, by 14" wide by 8' long...The kind that would be employed for making the top of a traditional workbench for example.

If you used a sled with router to flatten that it would be moving..."accross grain"...just as I posted before...just like a scrub plane is typically used, or at minimum (usually) in an oblique fashion.

However, if I try to plunge into the face of that plank with something like a 3/4" double flute router bit it very easily could set up a dangerous "climb cut" that unless I was very aware of it, and doing it for a specific reason, someone could very much have a very bad accident....
Yes the router cuts across the grain and cutting across the grain with a high speed router it doesn't tear out. It's when the router cuts in the same direction of the grain it has the potential of running against the grain and tear out.

I'm not sure what making a plunge cut into the face has to do with flattening a warped board but anyone using a router with any large bit should be careful to control it and make sure the run it in the direction it is suppose to. Not only is a climb cut dangerous it has the potential of removing the router bit from the router and hurting the operator or ruining the project they are working on.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

View Ciscokid's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for advise

Thanks for all the replies, went ahead and started before replies. Cut off small section for small end table and used amana1 1/2d bit 18000 rams and 1/8" at a time. Worked across the grain to perfection, left small lines that will easily sand out. Will work across the grain with rest of slab and maybe try with the grain with scrap left over to see difference, but can't see getting much better than this. Thanks again
35015 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode