Live edge slab, is this bark? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By souwleye
  • 1 Post By souwleye

post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

View souwleye's Photo Album My Photos
Live edge slab, is this bark?

Hey guys!

I came across some 20$ dollar slabs and figured i'd attempt making my own epoxy river table. I've been watching quite a few youtube tutorials and they all suggest removing the outer bark before filling with epoxy. I've removed the outer bark but im left with this black/dark line at the very edge, it's a good 1Ĺ inch at its widest and im not entirely sure if that's part of the bark and should be removed as well.

I've uploaded a few pictures and i'd be interested in knowing if that dark line is part of the bark as well? help a newbie out!
thanks in advance guys!

https://ibb.co/jWwVUd

https://ibb.co/nrNR2y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 01:16 PM

View nxtgeneration's Photo Album My Photos
If i'm looking at it correctly I think you may be referring to the Cambium layer. You don't need to remove it for your river table, in fact the only reason to remove the bark is because it tends to crumble and get into the epoxy when you pour it.

A few tips, make sure you have your "form" sealed really really well with a sheathing tape. (I have one on my website that I have used, scroll to the bottom of this page), level you table before you start to pour, pour in segments so that it does not overheat unless you are using EcoPoxy which allows larger pours.

Good Luck!

*Edit* I also run some small screws through the form into the bottom side of the table to help seal it up.

Timber & Ash Designs, LLC
--> TimberAndAshDesigns.com <--
post #3 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location. You can add your name to your signature line and it will show in each post.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, Nxtgeneration! I'll leave the "Cambium layer" as is then! I'll do my best to seal the form properly!

What tape did you use for the bottom of your form? to avoid epoxy binding to the bottom of the form

@difalkner, thanks a lot! ill update my profile right now!

Thanks guys!
difalkner likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM

Souwleye, I've used two different kinds, one made by Kimberly-Clark and one made by IPG (I have it shown on the bottom of this page: https://timberandashdesigns.com/the-wood-shop. Most other "sheathing" tapes will work as well. This is extremely important. If you don't create a barrier between your form and the epoxy you will have a mess on your hands. Epoxy creates an extremely strong bond to most surfaces.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I'd suggest putting those pictures directly on the site, most people round here arn't usually willing to click links from new members.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
So, a differing opinion...yes, that is the cambium layer, in between the bark and the actual wood. Contrary to next gen's view, bugs like to burrow under the bark and that is a significant factor for why removing the bark is a good idea. Also, while you can leave the cambium layer on, your edge is not the actual wood and you won't see any wood grain. If you want actual wood grain on the edges, you have to get through the cambium to the actual wood. I just did this today, in fact, on a maple live edge slab. It's work, and it's tedious, but it's way prettier. IMO. :)
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

@mmwood_1!

I'll be splitting the slab down through the middle with a track saw, and then make both live edges face the center, thus creating the river. I'll be using some pigment in the epoxy so im not too concerned with the grain on the actual live edges not popping. I am/was more concerned, if that layer would create a weak bond with epoxy.

@nxtgeneration

I've followed said link to the bottom of the page, but i've found no mentions of any tape used. Your homepage might need an update, or I might need better glasses :P

@weeby

I'll make sure to upload any future pictures directly on the site :P
thanks for the heads up! :)
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I always thought the bark was removed because the bark could come loose after the table was made. This is something I am very interested in, the river tables are beautiful.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 11:49 AM

@nxtgeneration

I've followed said link to the bottom of the page, but i've found no mentions of any tape used. Your homepage might need an update, or I might need better glasses :P

Its on "The Wood Shop" tab, At the bottom there is a list of items we use. It is the red roll of tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	362882  

post #11 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
So, a differing opinion...yes, that is the cambium layer, in between the bark and the actual wood. Contrary to next gen's view, bugs like to burrow under the bark and that is a significant factor for why removing the bark is a good idea. Also, while you can leave the cambium layer on, your edge is not the actual wood and you won't see any wood grain. If you want actual wood grain on the edges, you have to get through the cambium to the actual wood. I just did this today, in fact, on a maple live edge slab. It's work, and it's tedious, but it's way prettier. IMO. :)
I agree with you if the live edge was going to be visible but knowing it wasn't going to be I figured it wouldn't matter.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Nxtgen, yes, you are correct for that application. I didn't really catch that aspect of it.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-19-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

@nxtgeneration I made a miniature form to try out different tape. I made the pour today testing out 3 different kinds of tape. Regular box tape, a brownish tape with the label "Tesa" and some regular duct tape I had lying around. I'm waiting for the stuff to dry up so I can see what sticks and what doesnt stick to epoxy! I'll keep you posted! :D
nxtgeneration likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Hey @nxtgeneration

My table just came out of the form great. How did you go about sanding the epoxy? I was thinking about going through grit 120-600 but im not sure if that'll leave a good result. Do you go higher or is any higher redundant?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode