Live edge drying question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

View tdoucette67's Photo Album My Photos
Live edge drying question

I recently kiln dried some 3" thick live edge maple using Darren's plans. I got the moisture content down to about 9%. My shop is in my garage and that is where my wood had been stored awaiting its use. Since then the MC has gone up to 13-15%. Is this wood ok to use? I plan on making frames out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
The wood going to acumate to your area as the temperature changes it will move some, When I get wood from different regions I let it stay in the shop up to 11 days per inch of thickness an it is stickered so air can move around it, after that time then I do my project an account for some moisture change an movement

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcouger
The wood going to acumate to your area as the temperature changes it will move some, When I get wood from different regions I let it stay in the shop up to 11 days per inch of thickness an it is stickered so air can move around it, after that time then I do my project an account for some moisture change an movement
Just wondering what up to 11 days mean?Do you mean a minimum of 11 days per inch or anything from 1 day to 11 days per inch? Just curious because I usually figure 2 or 3 days in the shop and I am OK.
TOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM

View scsmith42's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoucette67 View Post
I recently kiln dried some 3" thick live edge maple using Darren's plans. I got the moisture content down to about 9%. My shop is in my garage and that is where my wood had been stored awaiting its use. Since then the MC has gone up to 13-15%. Is this wood ok to use? I plan on making frames out of it.

Sounds like the relative humidity level in your garage is fairly high. If it were me, before using the wood I would stack/sticker it again, and put a dehumidifier in the garage set at 40%. It would not hurt to have a fan blowing a gentle breeze across the stickered lumber. Keep on checking it (from the face of the board or the sides - not the ends), and when it is below 9% - 10% it will be safe to use.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Just wondering what up to 11 days mean?Do you mean a minimum of 11 days per inch or anything from 1 day to 11 days per inch? Just curious because I usually figure 2 or 3 days in the shop and I am OK.
TOM
11 days per 1 inch of thichness

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcouger
11 days per 1 inch of thichness
Thanks, the "up to" is what I did not get. I did not know if there was some variable such as type of wood, season or what. As I said I usually go 2 or 3 days and so far have not had any problems.
Tom
post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Rustic furniture

View Da Aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Generally the inside moisture content on kiln dried wood is higher than the surface percentage.
The only way to know is to do a test cut and measure the inside %.
So what happens is you did a m.c, check on the surface of 9% but the internal m.c. might be as high at 18-20%, and as it sits, the moisture eeks out, and the board equalizes.

I don't subscribe to the 11 day concept since every species is different and the temps/condition you are drying in vary.
I've taken (internally measured) 25% walnut and had the (internal m.c.) % down to 11% in 3 days, on a 1 1/2" live edge slab.

I also don't normally kiln dry wood that is saturated. I try and get the m.c. down to a surface rate of ~20-25% by air drying, before it hits my makeshift kiln. Otherwise things are going to dry in a haywire fashion.

One thing also is letting wood acclimate to the moistures around you (via your garage) doesn't quite make sense in total.
In part,,,,yes.
The reason I say this is take your moisture meter to your garage studs and measure them. I generally get between 4 to 6% on them. I don't live in an arid climate here. They seem to hang on to the m.c. that came from the mill. Maybe they vary some, but not too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode