Live edge - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

View bigal797's Photo Album My Photos
Live edge

Hey Everyone,

I've been wanting to build a live edge bar for a few months now and I finally found someone close to me who sells live edge slabs for a great price.. and they are kiln dried.

To be completely honest, this bar doesn't have to be PERFECT but I still want to put in blood and sweat.... just not the tears. This oak board only cost me $32 so if I completely ruin it then I can always go back and buy another slab (which I might do anyways because I'd like a thicker bar and he is supposed to get some walnut pieces soon). The base of the bar will be made out of metal (my step-dad owns a metal fabrication shop).

Getting to the point here: I'm wanting to keep as much of the rough edge as possible and I want to bring out as much of the natural colors of the board as possible. It's 8 feet long, 19 inches at the widest and I believe it's about 1.75 inches thick.

I know absolutely nothing about finishes, epoxies, lacquers so any information would be quite helpful. I know this is asking a lot and I just want to say thank you ahead of time to anyone who takes the time to walk me through this... In the meantime, I will continue researching.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigal797; 12-27-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-27-2016, 09:00 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
The first thing is decide what you want it to look like, maybe this link will give you some ideas, and go from there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=live...eCYMmkoVQ9M%3A
post #3 of 4 Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
I'm going to say "buyer beware"!!!! 32 bucks is cheap for that board green much less kiln dried... Before you even start get a moisture meter and check it MULTIPLE places. Occasionally I do find some that just lowball for a sale/undercut others but never last long in business....wonder why!?!?!

I won't get into the build except seal ALL sides at least once if not twice depending on the finish you choose. The # 1 culprit with wood is moisture and movement (MANY MANY threads started about not checking moisture and correct joinery ending with many headaches and some scrapped projects)...and with movement is improper joinery and improper finishing(es).

Good luck with your project, sounds easily doable. Research some of the threads here. Please post pics....we LOVE wood!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

View bigal797's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure why the picture was imported upside down but I guess you get the idea... I would like to go with more of a natural finish but still have very little shine/gloss to it. What product(s) and applications would best duplicate the image below? (that is EXACTLY what I would like my finish to look like)

I'll probably take a wire wheel to the edge but I want to keep as much of the natural edge as possible (I read that bark will eventually fall off so there will be none of that staying) BUT how do I keep the edge from chipping off from people resting their hands/arms on it? Epoxy? If I harden the edge then would I need to harden the top? Will that make the end result look glossy?

When performing these steps do I need to sand first or sand after I have "hardened" and filled holes (which I don't think there are any).
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode