A Little Table Saw Advice Needed. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Larry Schweitzer

post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

View Orangecrush's Photo Album My Photos
A Little Table Saw Advice Needed.

A few months ago, I picked up a Craftsman 113 table saw. It was a newer model and, when I pulled the motor and disassembled it to clean it out, I saw that it had sleeve bearings and, since it was a little weak on startup, I decided to put a new WEG 2 HP motor on it with a link belt. Then...I couldn't leave well enough alone and totally disassembled and repainted everything and added a PALS setup. The only thing left to do was add a decent fence and start cutting.

Naturally, the price of good fences had me balking...I was already 300 bucks into this saw. Anyway, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Delta table saw with a fence. The price was ridiculously low and, while he saw was 2 hours away from me, by sheer coincidence I had to be in the area on Sunday. I went to check it out and found a Delta 36-430 in excellent shape...for 165 bucks. Problem is, the fence still isn't that great (though it is light years better than the original Craftsman fence on the 113.

So, I bought the Delta and I now have two saws, but I only need one.

So I'm leaning towards keeping the Delta and selling the Craftsman to finance a fence purchase...especially since I can easily add a riving knife to the Delta...but what are the thoughts of the community? Should I keep the Delta or the Craftsman?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Both saws need help. To me it's six to one and half dozen to the other.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I'd put the Brazil motor on the Delta. My Delta contractor's saw came with a 1.5hp motor that didn't have enough get up & go for me, I sold it. I suspect the Delta has more room in front of the blade which is always better. The Delta table wings are flimsy but if the Craftsman has the cast wings with all the openings I'd get rid of it just for that reason. You can always make better extensions for the Delta.
notskot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
What anyone should do is clearly up to them.

But, you are going in all sorts of directions at the same time. You have a 113 that you are overhauling, adding a 2hp motor to it and then already complaining or at least concerned about the $300 you have spent you go out and buy another saw for the fence and it isn't all that good?

I say stop and come up with a plan of action and stick to it.

BTW, $165 isn't a ridiculously low price for that saw. In the used market that is about retail.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 04:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
better extension "wings" ....

I also don't like the ribbed Craftsman extension wings and have 2 set of them on a shelf. What I did was use another entire table as an extension wing. It has extra miterslots and is much wider than a standard wing. Then I bolted another entire table saw next to it ... and then another and kept going

You don't have to go to that extreme, but I found a table for you on Ebay where they are often advertised: Cheap also!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-craf...cAAOSwSlBY27wJ

You could marry a Delta and the Craftsman like I did and bolt them together OR not. You can use the Craftsman table on either saw as I believe they are both 27" front to back, a standard dimension. BTW, I love my 3 saw setup because of the wide support and I don't need to change a blade for ripping, crosscutting or making a dado/rabbet. It's not for everyone I know, but I had the room and a few saws, so why not?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
What anyone should do is clearly up to them.

But, you are going in all sorts of directions at the same time. You have a 113 that you are overhauling, adding a 2hp motor to it and then already complaining or at least concerned about the $300 you have spent you go out and buy another saw for the fence and it isn't all that good?

I say stop and come up with a plan of action and stick to it.

BTW, $165 isn't a ridiculously low price for that saw. In the used market that is about retail.
I actually wasn't complaining, just curious about which saw I should keep. On top of being an aspiring woodworker, I'm also a tinkerer and a bit of a gearhead. I like fixing up old stuff. I had found the 113 in a salvage place for next to nothing. I figured I could clean it up and use it, since I lacked a semi-decent table saw and had to make do with an awful Ryobi direct drive saw that I had inherited. Anything was a step up from that.

I had planned to take apart the motor and have it re-wound at a local shop, but when I took it apart, I found that it was a cheaply built unit and didn't want to spend the money to rebuild it, so I ditched it and bought the WEG. At that point, I decided that since I'd added 100+ Dollars to my cost, I'd make the saw like new. I took it completely apart, masked and repainted the trunion, arbor, the underside of the table, checked the bearings (they were fine), and cleaned up the top and wings, and added an accu-link belt. The saw now looks brand new. I have no issues whatsoever keeping this saw, especially since my shop (garage) is wired for 240 single phase to run the motor.

The last thing I needed for my saw was a decent fence. I found a saw advertised on CL that had a decent-looking T-square fence already on it. I thought I could buy the saw, remove the fence to use on the 113, and re-sell the saw for about how much I paid. If nothing else, I could install the Craftsman's old fence on it so I could sell it with a fence.

When I met up with the guy to look at the saw, I found that it was a very nice Delta 36-430 U.S. made saw that was complete (except for the guard and splitter) It had the original 1.5/2hp dual voltage Marathon motor on it (I have enough experience with WEG motors in my factory to know that, while inexpensive, they are of fairly questionable quality in comparison to the Marathon). This means I can still run it on 240 single phase which is great for me. Sure, the saw will need some cleaning up, but I don't mind that...just another excuse to get out into the garage.

The only issue was that the fence on the saw, while apparently a perfectly serviceable t-square fence (I can't find a brand anywhere on it), is not the original fence that was on the saw, though it is probably light years better than the original Craftsman piece.

So, the reason I was asking for opinions from people who have more experience than I do, is to help me decide if I want to install the "new" fence on the Craftsman, sell it (at a loss...of course), and use the money to put towards a (probably used) Vega Utility 50 or new Delta T2 fence...or if I can find a SCREAMING deal, a Biesemeyer. to mount on the cleaned up Delta...

OR...

Should I clean up and re-sell the Delta with the Craftsman fence to recoup some of my expeditures and just use the Craftsman.

Either way...I NEED a table saw, I just want to keep keep the "better" saw, meaning, if the Delta is a horrible quality saw (regardless of country of manufacture), I would rather keep the Craftsman. As it is, the Delta seems like the "sturdier" saw, but the Craftsman seems to have a more robust-looking trunion and arbor assembly. I just need to make up my mind and get on with it because I don't have thespace for two saws (otherwise I'd use one for ripping and one for crosscuts).
post #7 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 04:34 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming everything functions as it should, I'd put the 2hp motor on the Delta (unless the Delta motor seems peppier), sell the original Delta motor, sell the Delta stock fence, sell the Craftsman saw with the original motor, and buy a Delta T3 fence for $200 with the proceeds. You'll have one hot Delta table saw with a good fence and pretty stout 2hp motor. Add a good blade, and align it. Smile and enjoy!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I also don't like the ribbed Craftsman extension wings and have 2 set of them on a shelf. What I did was use another entire table as an extension wing. It has extra miterslots and is much wider than a standard wing. Then I bolted another entire table saw next to it ... and then another and kept going

You don't have to go to that extreme, but I found a table for you on Ebay where they are often advertised: Cheap also!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-craf...cAAOSwSlBY27wJ

You could marry a Delta and the Craftsman like I did and bolt them together OR not. You can use the Craftsman table on either saw as I believe they are both 27" front to back, a standard dimension. BTW, I love my 3 saw setup because of the wide support and I don't need to change a blade for ripping, crosscutting or making a dado/rabbet. It's not for everyone I know, but I had the room and a few saws, so why not?
I actually considered Joining both saws together on a common mobile platform with a homemade extension between them using flat steel stock. The wife nixed the idea. To be fair...I also have a classic Dodge that I have spent ridiculous amounts of money restoring, so the money train's gotta stop somewhere!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode