Lining rear jaw of vise? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

View Tom_in_PA's Photo Album My Photos
Lining rear jaw of vise?

I am in the final stages of finishing my first bench. I am building a modified version of Rob Lang's 21st Century workbench. I am installing a Veritas twin screw vise on the face and a Veritas face vise in the end vise position.

My question is I have a large roll of cork & synthetic rubber sheet (3/32" thick) that I will be lining the front jaws of both vises with. I am considering also lining the rear jaws as well. Any reasons why I shouldn't (I cannot think of any and I researched and not much out there on the topic)?

Thank you in advance,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
How are you going to affix the cork to the wooden jaws? I'm thinking the cork may tear if a work piece twists in the jaws. My last two bench vises had steel jaws, but were drilled to accept wooden liners screwed to them. I used a softer wood as liners for better grip and I could replace them if they became damaged in use.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
No particular reason to not affix it in there other than eventual replacement. I used the bench apron for the inside jaw and kind of wish I hadn't after grabbing all kinds of odd shaped things (and metal parts) in it so now it's become mangled up some. It still works ok though. Anyone who doesn't believe me is more than welcome to drop by and stick any body part of your own in it and let me clamp it down good and tight and wait for the cat to eventually come by and puke on your shoe.. I have pukey shop cat around here..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

View Tom_in_PA's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for the reply and sorry for the late reply (life!). I hope to get t ocmplete the vise builds next weekend.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I used cork stuck to 1/2" maple which is screwed to the vice and it has held up suprisingly well. I expected to have to replace it but it is still in good shape after 4 years on my bench. I also added the same feature to my tail vise because it works so well. I also built my bench based on Robert Lang's 21st century design and have been very happy with it. I have used my bench almost daily now for about 16 years and it is still rock solid. My bench was built from oak, and I especially like the wedges used to lock in the stretchers (I used on top and bottom stretchers). I also have a small steel vise mounted to a 2 x 6,with a 2 x 2 centered under it that allows me to clamp it to the woodworking vise to use it...or store it...which also works well. I know you will be happy with your new bench!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode