Light weight wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 08-11-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Light weight wood?

What would be a light weight wood other than balsa wood for a project similar to a small end table? Similar to a Shaker table- three legs, spindle and round top. Thanks. A source would be good, too. Thanks.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
pounds per cubic foot, partial listing

Code:
         Balsa    7 - 9       Bamboo   19 - 25       Basswood   20 - 37       Pine,   white   22 - 31       Poplar   22 - 31       Pine,   yellow   23 - 37       Sycamore   24 - 37       Willow   24 - 37       Spruce   25 - 44       Alder   26 - 42       Larch   31 - 35       Mahogany,   African   31 - 53       Beech   32 - 56       Elm,   English   34 - 37       Oak   37 - 56       Hickory   37 - 58       Pear   38 - 45       Maple   39 - 47       Walnut   40 - 43       Ash,   white   40 - 53       Plum   41 - 49       Apple   41 - 52       Teak,   Indian   41 - 55       Locust   42 - 44       Cherry,   European   43- 56       Pine,   pitch   52 - 53
post #3 of 41 Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Basswood and Philippine Mahogany come to mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Eliminating balsa you might as well use spruce. It's about as light as anything and easily found.
SierraHotel likes this.
post #5 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Worth mentioning that the lighter wood is, generally, the weaker it is. For an end table, the lightest wood that personally id be comfortable using would be one of the SPF family, though honestly for a table like what youre describing id rather use a hardwood, cherry probably being my first choice. A lightweight wood will save weight, sure, but for an end table i really doubt youd save more than a pound or two going from cherry to spruce. Course, only you can decide if that pound or two is really worth it, for all i know youre packing this in a space vehicle where each pound is an extra $10,000 to launch.

As far as sources go, were all gonna be pretty useless without a location. Your best bet is always gonna be buying local

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Why a lightweight wood?

The lighter the wood, the weaker, and the less mass to keep it stable.

A 3 "footed" table with a center column relies on the distance between the foot pads for stability..... however it will tend to tip on a line connecting two of the feet. I would NOT give up mass for a substitute wood that is only a few pounds lighter. You are not going to carry this on your back across the country.... I hope.

Cherry would be a great wood. Walnut as well. Oak either Red or White would be the heaviest. Pines and Spruce will work, but why put all the effort into a wood that won't stain up as well as the hardwoods....?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Should have mentioned that this will be for a "floating table" magic trick he is working on. I explained balsa wood is very fragile. We were looking at basswood or something else. We found several charts/comparisons with a Bing search. Thanks for the recommendations. Will run all this by him and see what he wants to do. BTW, I hadn't posted this and within an hour, he was asking what I heard.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
If I were trying for light weight, I would start with the design. I would start thinking about all the design tricks I know that provide strength with minimal material. Use "L" shape legs, or drill or hollow them out. Thin everything that doesn't need to be thick. Consider a thin top, but use battens (thin strips on the back), or a thicker rim to provide strength and support. You might even think about making a torsion box, with thin layers on top and bottom and a simple structure between them to hold it together. Wrap it in veneer strips to give it a nice look. I wonder whether 1/8 inch plywood is too thin for the top, if properly supported?

With the right design, you may be able to achieve the light weight you desire, but be able to use stronger, better, nicer wood species, maybe a hardwood.

By the way, for beginners, "SPF" stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". It is the white softwood construction lumber that you find at the big hardware stores, where you don't know the exact species of wood, but you don't need to know, either.
post #9 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Should have mentioned that this will be for a "floating table" magic trick he is working on. I explained balsa wood is very fragile. We were looking at basswood or something else. We found several charts/comparisons with a Bing search. Thanks for the recommendations. Will run all this by him and see what he wants to do. BTW, I hadn't posted this and within an hour, he was asking what I heard.
Our posts crossed. I didn't see this extra info. Still, it doesn't hurt to examine the design for places where weight can be shaved off.
post #10 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen this trick. Unless the table is to have heavy weights on it, I would use poly foam covered in paper veneer.
johnep
post #11 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 02:04 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Chart is here:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...sity-d_40.html
35015 likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #12 of 41 Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting that they didn't bother to convert to lb/cubic-foot for woods that are uncommon in the US.
post #13 of 41 Old 08-13-2019, 07:09 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i cut a cottonwood tree once for firewood. when it was green - HEAVY! when it dried, i could literally throw the log into the air. super light i thought, but only after drying. and it was pretty strong.
post #14 of 41 Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have plans for the table, not familiar with this trick but I did make items for a magic shop at one time and like the performance the props are not always what they seem to be.
35015 likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #15 of 41 Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Obeche might be a suitable choice.Not sure where you might find it but it fits the lightness criterion and it isn't particularly dear.The downside is that like any other light wood species it will mark or dent easily.
post #16 of 41 Old 08-14-2019, 02:39 PM

View SierraHotel's Photo Album My Photos
just read a book that says Wright Brothers chose Spruce for their plane because of light weight and sturdiness.
post #17 of 41 Old 08-14-2019, 03:55 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Actually the largest wooden plane ever flown was the Spruce Goose.
SierraHotel likes this.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Cedar is probably the lightest readily available and is fairly hard. It splits easily, but with a clear coat it fairly glows and it is weather resistant.

Interestingly balsa is listed as a "hardwood".
post #19 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Allen Arin

View Allen Arin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
Cedar is probably the lightest readily available and is fairly hard. It splits easily, but with a clear coat it fairly glows and it is weather resistant.

Interestingly balsa is listed as a "hardwood".
for sure i would also recommend the same for end tables

Every one of us is, even from his mother's womb, a master craftsman of idols.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 04:01 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
A fairly light weight wood is Cypress and it machines easily.
Fairly attractive and readily available on southern coast area and reasonably priced. Besides, hunting for a good lumber yard with cypress would keep you out of the BORG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6290056.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	377913  

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode