Level Bench Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

View Lowcountrygamecock's Photo Album My Photos
Level Bench Question

I'm hoping to get started on a couple work benches and an outfeed table for my table saw in the next two weeks. I have noticed on the last small project I did that there are some small rises in my concrete floor. How do I ensure that the benches are 100% level when I build them? Normally on something like that I would build the frame upside down, flip it and then add the top. I'm not sure I want to do that though with the floor not being 100% level. The first bench will be the outfeed for the table saw and will double as an assembly/work table for projects. I'll be building some cabinets on it so I want to make sure it's square and level. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Depending on how bad the floor is, I'd use adjustable legs on a small bench. In your design, does the benchtop have to be level? There are several ways to implement a level top surface. Most large benches are meant to be installed in one spot. Tons of info, and opinions; on the glorious Net.

Harrison, at your service!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I guess it doesnt have to be level but I would prefer it. I just put a set of cornhole boards together on a not so level table a couple months ago and they ended up being off a little in one corner on each board. I would rather do all I can now to make sure it's level and save headaches later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Now that I think more about it I guess 100% flat is more important than being 100% level. The last top I was working on was neither.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountrygamecock View Post
I'm hoping to get started on a couple work benches and an outfeed table for my table saw in the next two weeks. I have noticed on the last small project I did that there are some small rises in my concrete floor. How do I ensure that the benches are 100% level when I build them? Normally on something like that I would build the frame upside down, flip it and then add the top. I'm not sure I want to do that though with the floor not being 100% level. The first bench will be the outfeed for the table saw and will double as an assembly/work table for projects. I'll be building some cabinets on it so I want to make sure it's square and level. Any advice?
Why do you need your bench(s) to be perfectly level?

Most (all?) garage floors shop from the back to the front. The builder does this to make sure that any water that gets on the floor runs to the front of the garage.

If all items that are on this same floor, then they all have the same slope. It has never mattered to me that my workbench has a small slope. Now if it got to be 8 to 10 degrees I may have to do something about that.

If your table saw sits on that same floor it will also have the same slope. The table (bench) used for outfeed would do well to also have that slope.

George
post #6 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM

View NivekD's Photo Album My Photos
If you want it level, use four of http://www.amazon.com/2000-Capacity-Heavy-Duty-Leveler/dp/B002ATUE3M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1Y1W9TC2Z3WRB&colid=21MD1T9DSRUB1.

If you want it flat, you'll need to build it flat.

Torsion Box Workbench

Last edited by NivekD; 03-28-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add link
post #7 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM

View Katoman's Photo Album My Photos
My garage floor slopes. I set my table saw up level. For the outfeed table I used an 1 3/4" solid slab door.

I set the door in position with temporary legs screwed to it. Then I measured down to the floor for each leg. This will get you a level outfeed table. Brace as needed.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Katoman has your answer. I built my shop 11 years ago (dug out a half basement under my barn and installed a wooden floor). I secured my bench legs to the floor joists so it would never move and although it's not perfectly level, it is perfectly flat because I used a solid core door.

I never touched the top until last week when I gave a face lift by installing a bamboo flooring on top. It's still flat and I love flat for my workbench.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 AM

View GoIrish's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE="NivekD"]If you want it level, use four of http://www.amazon.com/2000-Capacity-Heavy-Duty-Leveler/dp/B002ATUE3M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1Y1W9TC2Z3WRB&colid=21MD1T9DSRUB1.

Love those levelers! Make a heavy bench easier to push around. Used T nut and inset the fist feet and they tore out when I hit a small bump in the floor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode