Last minute questions before installing butcher block counter tops - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
srs

View srs's Photo Album My Photos
Last minute questions before installing butcher block counter tops

Getting ready to start the cutting, joining, and installation of butcher block counters. (Birch, 1.5Ē, kiln dried, no factory finish or oil.) Have done a lot of research but still have a couple remaining questions.

1. Counters have been unwrapped in the kitchen for a couple days (with air exposure on all sides). Cutting will be done outside, where itís about 40 degrees colder and humidity levels are different than in the house. This may sound nuts, but I am running a risk here moving them back and forth between two locations? I wonít leave them outside any longer than is needed to do the work on them (I wonít store them there).

2. Have read a lot about the new cuts being sources of problems (exposing new grain). How quickly should I be getting finish (or glue, in the case of joining) on newly exposed cuts? Hours? A day or two?
Some folks make it sound like if you donít get something on them the minute you cut them, the moisture content will start to get out of whack and cause issues. Whatís realistic here? Iím working with long pieces and several cuts will need to be made both across the grain (some joined, some not) and with the grain. They canít all be immediately joined/finished. Hopefully this can all happen over the course of a couple of days, though. Thoughts?

3. Does anything special need to be done for a counter over a dishwasher? Iíve read that dishwashers have sufficient moisture protection built in (existing particleboard laminate counters seem to have held up fine above the dishwasher). Iím using oil and wax finish (Howardís) on all sides of the counter, but I could do poly on the underside above the dishwasher if that seems like a better option there.

Thanks, really appreciate the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to srs For This Useful Post:
Terry Q (03-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs View Post
Getting ready to start the cutting, joining, and installation of butcher block counters. (Birch, 1.5Ē, kiln dried, no factory finish or oil.) Have done a lot of research but still have a couple remaining questions.

1. Counters have been unwrapped in the kitchen for a couple days (with air exposure on all sides). Cutting will be done outside, where itís about 40 degrees colder and humidity levels are different than in the house. This may sound nuts, but I am running a risk here moving them back and forth between two locations? I wonít leave them outside any longer than is needed to do the work on them (I wonít store them there).

2. Have read a lot about the new cuts being sources of problems (exposing new grain). How quickly should I be getting finish (or glue, in the case of joining) on newly exposed cuts? Hours? A day or two?
Some folks make it sound like if you donít get something on them the minute you cut them, the moisture content will start to get out of whack and cause issues. Whatís realistic here? Iím working with long pieces and several cuts will need to be made both across the grain (some joined, some not) and with the grain. They canít all be immediately joined/finished. Hopefully this can all happen over the course of a couple of days, though. Thoughts?

3. Does anything special need to be done for a counter over a dishwasher? Iíve read that dishwashers have sufficient moisture protection built in (existing particleboard laminate counters seem to have held up fine above the dishwasher). Iím using oil and wax finish (Howardís) on all sides of the counter, but I could do poly on the underside above the dishwasher if that seems like a better option there.

Thanks, really appreciate the help.
The amount of time it takes to take the counters outside isn't going to affect what you have done acclimating the wood to the house. It takes days to make little changes.

If I'm understanding you about exposing new grain, wherever you got that notion is silly. If you had wood that was finished on both sides and you stripped one side then you would need to get some kind of finish on it before the weather turned damp but cutting the edge or end there is no worry with that. You could take years to get a finish on it if you can keep it clean. It just comes down to keeping the moisture content uniform on both sides.

You might coat the underneath side of the top where the dishwasher goes with an enamel or varnish. It's more to seal in what moisture is there since the washer lets off a lot of heat. Another option might be to attach a sheet of 1/2" foam insulation to the underside of the top if you have any. I don't know if it merits buying a sheet. The dishwasher may let off steam right at the front edge but back toward the middle where it matters there will be just heat and could dry the top out.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Good catch on the dishwasher. If there's an oven under, consider that too. Mine caused my butcher block top to crack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
continue with the care you have so far. placing one on the floor will allow it to cup overnight!

yes, like steve said, finish over the dishwasher.

I would say try to accomplish the joining in one day if possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode