Large wood panelling, what type of wood ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

View redrabbit's Photo Album My Photos
Large wood panelling, what type of wood ?

I'm asked to help decide what type of wood, would be appropriate for a high-end "full wall paneled" hallway, with simple crown, base, and chair-rail moldings.

We want an unobtrusive wood with not much figure... because in a large hallway...too much wood figure would get distracting and overbearing.

It will need to be stained somewhat dark like, like a "light walnut" but not too red at all. Red is bad. (otherwise I'd suggest Mahogany, but it's too red )

I've suggested Walnut or Teak ($$).
The builder came at me with Beech... but I'm not in favour of that as it can look cheap, to my eye, esp when stained dark. Besides, I've never seen a full (10 foot) wall of Beech plywood, stained dark. I worry that it will look blotchy, and amateur.

QUESTION:

What woods are available in large plywood panels and solid trim, that might meet my color needs ?
Is my idea of using Walnut or Teak, a practical choice, and will the carpenters kill me for choosing one over the other ?

Thanks.

Last edited by redrabbit; 08-05-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

View redrabbit's Photo Album My Photos
BTW....I am a pro painter, and I understand the methods of staining.....dyes, gels, etc.
I've also tried canceling the red in mahogany by adding layers of green alcohol dye, as in the Greene & Greene technique.
My 2' x 3' samples of Beech look nice (gel stained two layers, with an oil wood conditioner first), but I fear the "cut" of the commercial Beech plywood veneer is sub-standard for a large room.
Beech is a secondary wood usually used for drawer sides and bottoms.... or cheap chairs from IKEA.

If it was up to me completely....I'd choose fumed Quatersawn Oak, and slowly stained dark in layers, after the fuming.

Last edited by redrabbit; 08-05-2018 at 09:12 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You might consider sande. The plywood is cheap and easy to find and is very uniform in grain and color. The solid wood is a bit hard to find and doesn't machine very well and is very abrasive to your tools but once completed is very nice. It has the grain of mahogany but is very blonde like birch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I thought of birch (easy to find in plywood) but look into maple which can be very plain blond...

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.

Tags
finshes, teak, walnut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode