Large roll out drawer material - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-29-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

View TxAggie94's Photo Album My Photos
Large roll out drawer material

OK, I'm fairly new to wood work. Mostly just some shop benches and cabinets so far.

However, I recently jumped in and built a king platform bed with drawers. The finish is far from perfect, but it was a lot of fun and I have learned a lot.

Anyway, I built the bed with a center opening from the foot to run a large drawer into. The opening is 25" wide and 17" tall. My plan is to build a large drawer to use for items like a bedspread, Christmas throw pillows, etc. It will all be light items. The "drawer" will actually have non-castering rollers on the bottom rather than drawer slides. I will build the complete drawer box and attach a walnut front to match the rest of the bed.

My plan is to build the outside of the box 3/4" to 1" less than the 25" opening and install a runner on each side to guide the drawer in straight. So, by the time I allow for the rollers and some space at the top, the drawer should be about 14 1/2" high, 24" wide and I plan to build it 48" deep.

My primary question is what material thickness i should use for such a large drawer.

I have enough 1/2" baltic birch ply to use for the sides, ends and bottom. I also have enough 3/4" ply to use that for the sides and ends and then 1/2" BB for the bottom. Would 1/2 all around be sturdy enough for such a large drawer? Or should I go with the 3/4"?

Does anyone see any other problems with my plans?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-29-2016, 03:02 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
3/4 sides and 1/2 bottom should work.

as to potential issues - if the rollers run on carpet, they may settle into/make carpet dents - which could cause the drawer front to become "un-parallel" with the bedframe panel. fortunately the gap would be at the bottom - but I'd give some thought as to "future shimming" the rollers, in case the situation gets too bad.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

View TxAggie94's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm, good point. It will be on carpet (for now - my wife desperately wants to go to wood/laminate in the bedroom). I have some left over 1/4" ply I could put down as runners if its long enough. I'd have to attach a stop to keep from pushing them farther under when pushing the drawer back in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode