Laminates or plywood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebelwork

post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

View Noek's Photo Album My Photos
Laminates or plywood

Making a few shelves out of pine however my joiner and planet are in another state right now so squaring the panels and making laminates will be challenging . I’ve never really used plywood for anything I was planning on finishing so I am wondering if I go that route, what’s the best method for the edges that will show and how do match stain on them? Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I don't like to use it but an iron on veneer from the big box might do you. Just have to make sure you get it hot enough with an iron or heatgun...
B Coll likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Ive always like solid wood strips for edging plywood, least in places it shows. A strip 1/2-3/4" of a species matching the plywood face just glue to the edge looks good and adds a lot or durability to boot. Shouldnt need a jointer or planer either, id imagine, just work you can do with a table saw. Many not even need that if you buy S4S

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

View Noek's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Ive always like solid wood strips for edging plywood, least in places it shows. A strip 1/2-3/4" of a species matching the plywood face just glue to the edge looks good and adds a lot or durability to boot. Shouldnt need a jointer or planer either, id imagine, just work you can do with a table saw. Many not even need that if you buy S4S

Do the strips glue to the edge of the ply? Seems like the edge would soak the glue in and not adhere properly?

Even with S4S after gluing panels I like to run the finished panel through the planar.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noek View Post
Do the strips glue to the edge of the ply? Seems like the edge would soak the glue in and not adhere properly?

Even with S4S after gluing panels I like to run the finished panel through the planar.
It works fine.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM

View txalroofing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noek View Post

Hey! Yes I agree with the above post, it does work fine and I have used it in the past as well. It's definitely worked good.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 01-18-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: removed website link
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 03:36 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Make Your Own:
I have used wood strips that I cut myself. You can cut them thin or thick, depending on your aesthetics and whether you planned ahead for thick strips. A long time ago, I used tiny finish nails for clamps, which I sunk and filled later. These days, they make special clamps, and some people just use a lot of tape strips wrapped over the edge. I would not use the finish nails today, but we were just kids back then.

Ready Made Edge Banding:
Furthermore, you can buy ready-made edge banding in a wide variety of woods. They are thin veneer strips in rolls that you glue to the edge of the plywood. I have not tried this type of edge banding myself, but it is a popular solution. Some pre-glued ones come with a hot melt glue backing and you just iron them on. You can trim them with a razor knife or a similar tool. There are specialty tools for applying and trimming edge banding. They can range from small handheld gadgets up to huge industrial scale machines that do all the steps automatically, and are priced accordingly.

Note: I have seen the ready-made edge banding in many stores. I have also seen the industrial size edge banding machines in use. I know many people who have used the pre-made edge banding, but never tried it myself.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 03:53 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by txalroofing View Post
Hey! Yes I agree with the above post, it does work fine and I have used it in the past as well. It's definitely worked good.
Just what the forum needed - another Texan. What town/city are you in?

And welcome to the forum.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Just what the forum needed - another Texan. What town/city are you in?

And welcome to the forum.
He's ok as long as he's a Dallas Cowboys fan.

I'm in the Kansas City area but hate the Chiefs....

If he's not a Cowboys fan he's on my list and it's not a good list...
post #10 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 04:04 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Next time I visit my son in Lawrence, Ks. I will give you a shout. Maybe we can get together for a bit. Your on the other side, but not that far away.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode