Laguna Fusion 2 Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Laguna Fusion 2 Table Saw

I will be starting to put together a new shop in 2 weeks or so. If I cant find a decent used table saw, I will buy a new one.
I am conflicted about which one. I really want the Laguna Fusion 2. Problem being that I want a fence capacity of 50" or so but still want the Laguna over a Grizzly. I know all about Straight Line Rip jigs but rather do everything on the table saw.
I noticed on the Laguna that there is a small section of fence on the left side of the blade. Apparently all it does is support the On/Off Switch. Is there a reasonably easy way to attach this piece onto the end of the normal fence?
I can make my own top surface and not move the original. I can also make legs and whatever else is needed.
I also dont want this to become a major project. Not having that saw in front of me, I have no idea what would really be involved beginning with how are the 2 sections joined together.
Thanks in advance.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 12:18 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
From the looks of it, the on/off switch is attached to the left 1/2 of the front fence rail. My delta is the same way, and you can definitely relocate the switch if you want, but without cutting and splicing/replacing the wiring, you will be limited to how far it can go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #3 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 01:36 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Tony, this is a good overview video of the Fusion 2. They do address how the switch is mounted. The saw also has a shroud under the blade like the Grizzly, and the fence facing is just like my Grizzly bandsaw.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom-G For This Useful Post:
Tony B (06-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

What I was wondering is: The fence rail comes in 2 sections with the shorter rail being on left side of blade. Can this short section be removed and put on the other end of the long section? This would in effect give me more capacity on the right side of the blade.

I called laguna twice and tried to get a longer fence rail or at least try to get the manufacturers name so I can buy a longer fence rail. No luck with that.

Last edited by Tony B; 06-23-2020 at 02:25 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 07:29 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Watching this video at about 5:40, it looks like the switch mounts on a T-Track on the underside of that extra chunk of fence. It looks like the regular fence also should have the track in the underside and it looks like there's plenty of wire on the switch to move it around.

The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
Tony B (06-23-2020)
post #6 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 07:31 PM

If its like most, then their is angle iron that supports the square tubing that the fence rail is bolted to. That angle iron attaches to threaded holes with a bolt to the cast iron top.

Anything can be done with enough time, money, and knowhow.

I suggest going on youtube and watching some videos of people upgrading their old table with new fence systems. This will give you an idea of what all is involved.

Personally, to me, you should not have to do this on a brand new cabinet saw.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but Ive been down this sort of rabbit hole many times, so I speak from experience.

You would better off to save up a bit more and buy the saw with the right hand cut capacity you want.

If you want to modify a table saw to meet your exacting needs, then buy an old saw and upgrade that.

But make no mistake, unless you have square tube and angle iron just laying around you will spend a fair amount of money either purchasing the raw materials, or buying a fence kit.

Here is a kit from Shopfox that has a 54 right cut capacity

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W200.../dp/B001UE7K1W

Dave H
The Following User Says Thank You to furnacefighter15 For This Useful Post:
Tony B (06-24-2020)
post #7 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 07:33 PM

I also noticed in the video that there are locating pins that align the small chunk of fence with the main section. That would align it, but on the outboard side of the fence, there'd be no other support. On the left side, the short chunk of fence is also bolted to the table, providing additional support. As a boater, you must know someone who could weld that extra section on. Of course you did mention you're not looking for a major project.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Right, not looking for a major project. From what It looks like on the assembly drawings, the fence rails are not a square with angle iron It looks like the angle pert is part of the extrusion and not an extra piece. If it cant be dont easily, I will settle for the Grizzly 1023 wjth the 53" capacity and the inferior fence.

Too bad for me that LAGUNA Cust Svc and Tech Support wont help me in finding a longer rail. The Laguna fence looks like and works like my old Delta Unifence. That was a great fence. The Fusion 3 which has a 50" is an upgraded saw for about another $1,000. Just dont want to go that high.
I wish I could find an older Delta Contractors Saw with the longer rails. The old Delta Contractors saw that i bought new in 1985 was a great saw.

Anyway, I wont be back till July 11th, then if I cant find a good used saw immediately, I will just buy a new one. I know the old saws are good, but I just cant get it in me to spend 12 - $1400 on a used saw with an unknown history. I want to be woodworking, not machine fixing. I wouldnt mind an old saw if I already had one in working condition. Then I would gamble on the 2nd saw. But that is not going to happen.

Thanks guys for the help. I was just hopeing that a Fusion 2 owner was on here. Oh well, thats life.

post #9 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 09:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Watch the video again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Right, not looking for a major project. From what It looks like on the assembly drawings, the fence rails are not a square with angle iron It looks like the angle pert is part of the extrusion and not an extra piece. If it cant be dont easily, I will settle for the Grizzly 1023 wjth the 53" capacity and the inferior fence.

Too bad for me that LAGUNA Cust Svc and Tech Support wont help me in finding a longer rail. The Laguna fence looks like and works like my old Delta Unifence. That was a great fence. The Fusion 3 which has a 50" is an upgraded saw for about another $1,000. Just dont want to go that high.
I wish I could find an older Delta Contractors Saw with the longer rails. The old Delta Contractors saw that i bought new in 1985 was a great saw.

Anyway, I wont be back till July 11th, then if I cant find a good used saw immediately, I will just buy a new one. I know the old saws are good, but I just cant get it in me to spend 12 - $1400 on a used saw with an unknown history. I want to be woodworking, not machine fixing. I wouldnt mind an old saw if I already had one in working condition. Then I would gamble on the 2nd saw. But that is not going to happen.

Thanks guys for the help. I was just hopeing that a Fusion 2 owner was on here. Oh well, thats life.

As you said, the fence is very similar to the old Delta Unifence which has a high and low position and can be slid front or rearward! That's the fence I use on my 12" triple saw and I love it. The rip capacity is only 36" but I'll bet you can add a few more inches by sliding it to the right. That should then be plenty unless you are a full time cabinet shop, but even then you shouldn't need more. The only thing that would be better is a vertical panel saw, but don't have the room or wall space. Try and remember how many times you set the fence beyond 36" and what was the project that require it?
I can't remember needing that much at any point in 50 years of using a table saw.

That Fusion 2 has a lot of great features and the price is nice also. I'd vote for that over the Grizzly and I really like Grizzy! If you are concerned about the switch and wiring a bracket can be easily made to keep it in it's present location. If you get stuck because of that, let me know and I'll help you out. I can weld and bend metal!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-23-2020 at 09:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Tony B (06-23-2020)
post #10 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Bill
Thanks for the offer.
I used the extra length quite often. I make 11" squaer pedestals and laminate them. They are usually from 34" to 48" high
Also make parsons tables around 50-60" long, I cut the front and rear profiles in one piece from a 4X8 sheet.
Also with a narrow shop with only a 36 rip capacity, i will have to bring in the plywood over the table saw to cut it up on saw horses which room will be scarce for that. I hate that laguna wont sell me a longer fence or at least tell me wherte they get the extrusion.
If I remember correctly, the extrusion has an "X" inside it to stiffen it up and the part that is normally an angle iron is actually part of the extrusion. I dont know if it can be done easily with the 2 piece rails unless I see them in person. Hopefully some one here owns one. The Fusion 3 is around $2500. Thats 1/3 of my starting budget. I am retired. If I was still working offshore, I would do it at the blink of an eye. But with literally no tools unless you count a hammer and cordless drill. i will need just about every penny I have for n more tools. This is supposed to be a hobby but I will take in work if it comes my way. Without a website and a big box truck, that aint gonnna happen on any kind of meaning full scale.
If I came up your way with the pretense of you welding something for me, I'm just moving in. End of story.
If I am going to buy second hand machinery, I will also need a trailer to hual it in. Then I have to rent a spot to keep the trailer.
Somehow, in the over all scheme of life, it always all works out.
When I get back to Dickinson in 2 weeks, I have one week before I take the work space. that will give me time to think about which saw. When The time comes, I will know. Prolly end up with the Grizzly 1023RLX. Apparently, people on here that own them, like them. maybe between now and then, Laguna will put the Fusion 3 on sale and end my dilemma.
I think for my power supply, I will be looking at a Predator generator from Harbor Freight Probably get my lighting from Amazon.
I just need to build things and be creative in the process.

post #11 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

@woodnthings

Bill:
I looked at the video again as you suggested and I am still in love with it.
Considering tax, shipping, and all, it is almost $500 less than the Grizz.

If you look at page 21 you can see on the front rail where the 2 sections are put together
Page 29 will show complete breakdown of the fence rails.

That is what got me thinking about moving the left hand section to the right of the long rail.

If I do decide to get this, my first project will be the Tony B Saw Horse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FUSION-2-Manual.pdf (2.03 MB, 9 views)

post #12 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 11:35 PM

Pending how fast you need the saw, that decision may be made for you.

I was curious about the price, and according to Woodcraft, the saw is back ordered til mid August

Dave H
post #13 of 24 Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

The cost is $1399 + $99 Shipping.

I noticed the delay. The factory is saying mid-Sept. So I dont know. It is $400 less than the grizz 1023RLX
I also noticed the Fusion 3 is no longer showing the 50" fence rails. only the $36.

Anyway, mid-Sept may be the deal breaker. Mid -Sept also puts me in the height of Hurricane Season. Any threat of Hurricane and I'm gone. Difficult to make shipping arrangements in those conditions.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 12:17 AM

Or, you could get a Track Saw for the larger sheet goods. Posts about those always seem to prompt spirited debate! &#x1f602;

This makes me glad I got my Unisaw (with Unifence) when I did!
post #15 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

My shop will be long and narrow, If I have to set up saw horses everytime i need to make a cut, it will be a major inconvenience. Also eExtra effort to move stuff around. I would have to spend all my time moving other things out of the way.

BTW, I loved my Unifence when I had one
I do almost everything off the table saw

When working with expensive plywood, when using a circular saw, I would have to put the good side down. banging it up on saw horses, so as not to chip up the good side with the saw blade.

See whats happening here, I just decided to get the laguna and 30 minutes later i'm back too the Grizz again.

Getting tired and confused................Good night all.
woodnthings likes this.

post #16 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 05:18 AM
where's my table saw?

What about this?

Since you seem to use the table saw for all your cuts what about a sliding table version:
https://www.toolots.com/10-sliding-t...xoCtaUQAvD_BwE

Or the attachment to a standard table saw:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...BoCN7gQAvD_BwE

That way you don't need the full 53" rails to get 48" crosscut capacity:
Features a telescopic crosscutting fence with a built-in work stop for repeat cuts, and an industrial-grade sliding table with a linear guide mechanism for extremely accurate cuts. Can cross cut workpieces up to 48" long.
Specifications
  • Table size: 47" x 9"
  • Outrigger table size: 13-1/4" x 9"
  • Max. table travel: 55"
  • Max. cross cutting length: 48"

Here's one, but save up some more money:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-24-2020 at 05:23 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill.
I notice some of the times of your postings. Do you stay up all night or do you just get up at 3AM?

The YUUTOOL was very entertaining. I think one of the nicest tings about that saw is that it looks like it dont weigh more than 125 Lbs. Can carry it around on my back.

As for the Grizz sliding table, nor that might be a good idea. The only way I can fit that into my budget is to attach it to the least expensive Hybrid saw for $925.

One thing I admire about you Bill, is that you dont care how you spend my money. LOL

My SIL has a hybrid and it seems OK but not sure which model, I will have to call him and find out I used it before and it was OK. He did have problems with the fence but I think it was an adjustment thing. He didnt want me screwing with it and that is OK by me.
The problem is when he locked the fence down, the far end would move significantly enough that he would have to re-adjust.

You know this is going to lead up to a few more new Threads.

post #18 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 AM
where's my table saw?

Yup ......

I lay awake at night trying to solve other people's problems by spending "their" money, not mine.

I tried to find the shipping weight of the Yootools saw, but couldn't. At 125 lbs, which is what you found, that seems unlikely. The detailed photos below the listing look really nice and well made for the price. Who knows? No reviews yet.

You remember mdntrdr, old Scotty's Woodworks? He bought a used Min Max slider for less than $1000, and loved it so much he slept on it for a week! He already had about 3 Deltas, so it had some stiff competition. It may be worth looking into. ....?

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-T1022...2F49X4P2H777F0

They will attach to a standard 27" deep table saw, so if you could find a good used one, you'd be all set.

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-24-2020 at 11:20 AM.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again

Here is the new thread I started: Sliding Table Saw Attachment https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/s...chment-220723/

The shipping weight on the yootools saw is something I just made up. I couldn't find it anywhere. My sarcastic guesstimate was based on the video showing the super thin and lightweight components like the sheet metal top and toy miter guage.

Yes I remember Scotty D I made him a quickie website way back when. As a matter of fact, Scotty is the one that gave me your phone number. Been several years since I talked to him. He still owes me a couch ride being pulled by his tractor.
Thanks for reminding me of him I will call him this week.

Also thinking if i cant find a good used on, I could always buy one of their lesser expenses Grizzly Hybrids and still keep price down around 2 kilobucks. Most of the problems with the lesser priced table saws is the weight, the fence system and keeping the settings. I think I told you once before I had my Delta Contractors saw set up with a Unifence on 8' rails. Never had a problem. If I could find another one, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks and now get some sleep. LOL

Last edited by Tony B; 06-24-2020 at 10:36 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Or, you could get a Track Saw for the larger sheet goods. Posts about those always seem to prompt spirited debate! &#x1f602;

This makes me glad I got my Unisaw (with Unifence) when I did!
I have a track saw for that purpose. Works well, especially for angle cuts. Just wish I did not rush to buy it like I did. I bought a Makita, which is a great saw, but noticed 2 weeks later I could have gotten a WEN or a Masterforce for a 1/4 of the cost. Even if those are lesser quality, it would have been sufficient for how infrequently I use it.

Also most probably know this, but instead of saw horses and such, get a 1" thick sheet of 4x8 high density foam, and set that on the work surface, the foam will prevent damage to the surface below.

And for storage, take and cut the foam sheet into 24" or whatever strips and then tape the seams with duct tape on alternating sides. This will allow the board to fold like an accordion for easy storage, and unfold easily for use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode