Kreg vs. Rockler Router lift - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggosack

post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg vs. Rockler Router lift

I'm looking at getting a Router lift.

Both Rockler and Kreg have fairly new lifts out. The Kreg PRS5000 and the Rockler Pro Lift.

The Rockler is more expensive and you got to buy more stuff besides what it comes with. I'd need a shim for my Bosch router and a set of the aluminum inserts which don't have a price yet.

If I get the Kreg, I already have all the red rings from my existing Kreg table insert and I don't need a collar because it's one size fits all.

BUT.... the 4X rapid gear along with the 1X precise adjust AND the fact that you don't need to lock it down once the height is set make me favor the Rockler even though it will end up costing $100 more.

Any thoughts or other advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-2018, 02:15 PM
woodworking in the garage

View ggosack's Photo Album My Photos
Got the Kreg

I also looked at both, but decided on the Kreg - after a couple of years with a cheap Ryobi benchtop table and burning out an old Ryobi small router I decided to upgrade. I use my garage so size was a factor. I opted for the Kreg benchtop table and their new lift. Miles ahead of what I had before. Also got a new Porter Cable 895pk router kit. Over all a magnitude above before. I don't mind the single speed lift and lock down (all from the top). It doesn't take more than several seconds to raise the router high enough to change bits.

Glenn
Toolman50 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have been looking at router lifts ever since the previous thread on the subject, where I learned the difference between having a router lift vs. using the router's adjuster (from the table side) with an ordinary router table insert plate.

Here is one thing about the new Rockler router lift: It comes in two sizes.

The new Rockler lift comes in a smaller than standard size too (8.25 x 11.75 inches). That matches previous Rockler router lifts.

It will also be available in the standard "full" size (9.25 x 11.75 inches). That should happen very soon now, but I don't know exactly when. I am guessing in the next week or two or three, something like that. I hate to make predictions like that, because I could so easily be wrong. Don't shoot the messenger, okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Are you in a hurry? If so spend the extra $100 plus the money for the extras. An easy decision for me.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have 2 of these lifts

The Jessem Mast R Lift 2 is probably one of the best out there:

https://www.infinitytools.com/routin...All%20Products

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 12:01 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Kreg when it came out. I already had the table & extra rings, so it was a drop-in fit. So far it has been flawless. It takes only a few seconds to raise it for bit changes. Also, I like knowing that I have locked it down rather than assuming that nothing will move.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTex View Post
I bought the Kreg when it came out. I already had the table & extra rings, so it was a drop-in fit. So far it has been flawless. It takes only a few seconds to raise it for bit changes. Also, I like knowing that I have locked it down rather than assuming that nothing will move.
Well, I went down to Woodcraft and they had the new Kreg there. It's super smooth and no backlash while adjusting. I went ahead and picked it up.

It was very easy to get my router plugged into it and get it installed in the table.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
I think youíll be quite happy with it. I do like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 04-27-2018, 11:25 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Woodpecker lifts. (Two) The first one is the PRL1 and is the better of the two. But it is an ultra precision model and 1/32" per turn of the crank. The PRL2 is a quick up and down and then micro adjust with the crank.

Of the two, the PRL1 is the better unit. (I don't know if it is still available.) It is one of those that when you get to "I have to raise or lower by 0.004", you turn the crank 1/4 turn." there ain't none better.

OK, beat me up over 1/256". You will get there, believe me!

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode