Kreg TV Commercials - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By johnep
  • 1 Post By sweensdv

post #1 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg TV Commercials

Anyone else cringe with what they are advertising. They take a tool that has it's purpose and advertise you can use it for repairing furniture which it shouldn't. It's like advertisements years ago showing you could reglue chairs with hot melt glue. It's bringing the craft of woodworking to a new low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM

View Minnesota Marty's Photo Album My Photos
You couldn't sleep last night

I usually catch that commercial when I can't sleep.
I am always amazed how you can take a product that works as intended for a specific purpose and stretch it into working for so many other things. Pocket screws in face frames... works great. Replace a mortise and tenon joint??????

Marty
post #3 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
That business, like most, is all about making more $. A good craftsperson will (should) know what is the "right" way to build/repair/restore furniture. Imagine bringing an early American antique piece of furniture to the PBS Antique Road show, only to find out it was repaired with pocket hole screws, which reduces the price from $1 million to $5.98. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It is all about truth in advertising, the fact that you can repair an antique piece of furniture with pocket holes is indisputable . Another one I laugh at is the ad for a mid priced Chevy that BMW and Audi owners are wishing they had those features in their cars, all I can guess is that they are driving 10 year old vehicles.
sweensdv likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 06:47 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
My dining room chairs which were expensive have pocket holes securing the seat.
johnep
post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
That business, like most, is all about making more $. A good craftsperson will (should) know what is the "right" way to build/repair/restore furniture. Imagine bringing an early American antique piece of furniture to the PBS Antique Road show, only to find out it was repaired with pocket hole screws, which reduces the price from $1 million to $5.98. Be safe.
That was really my point, a lot of folks getting into woodworking don't know the right or wrong way. They see something on TV and think it's an accepted method. At one time I had an antique repair and refinishing business. Some of the bad repair work that was done on furniture was unbelievable. A lot of it was done so bad it would have cost folks double what a piece of furniture was worth to make the repair so they declined. I could see high prices repairing furniture done with Kreg. It wouldn't be just a reglue, it would be replacing a lot of parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
woodchux (06-04-2016)
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2016, 04:59 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
OK if you want something elegant, then tradition is the way. If you want to get something that will do the job at a lower cost, then use modern methods.
After all you have accepted the use of screws, bolts and nails. In UK many very old buildings used wooden pegs as screws and nails hand made and very expensive.
So tradional bespoke for the wealthy and pocket holes for the rest.
johnep
FrankC likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2016, 01:43 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
I say whatever works for the individual you should just go for it. I've used different type of joinery, pocket holes included, and sometimes they just make the most sense. Other times, not so much.
FrankC likes this.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-05-2016, 09:14 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I would say that the pocket screw idea has some merit but not a solution for all WW projects. FWIW, I was in an outlet store several years ago and bought a knock-off for $20 and does the same thing as the Kreg. I have used it for some projects but don't go wild with it on all WW projects. Lowe's and Woodcraft carry pocket screws in various sizes.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode