Knocked a hole in the wall this week. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By epicfail48
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 14 Old 06-01-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Knocked a hole in the wall this week.

Customer wanted space opened up between two rooms in their new house. The wall happened to be a bearing wall which not only held up the ceiling in both rooms but the roof as well. For this reason I used a steel I-beam for the header. Since the wall was a bearing wall it was necessary to construct a temporary wall on each side of the wall to hold up the ceiling while I took down the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1833.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	361881  

Name:	IMGP1834.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	361889  

Name:	IMGP1836.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	361897  

Name:	IMGP1843.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	361905  

Ron_J and Catpower like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 02:33 AM

View rubberduck's Photo Album My Photos
That looks so much bigger, I bet the customer was well pleased. Are you just going to add a threshold in the opening ? Tidy job......where's the picture of all the mess

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Gotta love it when the first step to taking down a wall is building 2 more, sturdier walls
WeebyWoodWorker likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 03:13 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Taking out that wall sure does make a difference, Out of curiosity where'd you pick up that I beam from anyhow?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 05:12 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
In UK practice is to use a sturdy plank and builders jacks. Either steel beam or reinforced concrete lintel.
johnep
post #6 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
That looks so much bigger, I bet the customer was well pleased. Are you just going to add a threshold in the opening ? Tidy job......where's the picture of all the mess

I don't know why she didn't ask me to do it but she is going to have someone put flooring in where the wall was. I have plenty to do on the job anyway. I've got to put in a couple of pocket doors, fix a void around the top of a skylight and build a vanity cabinet for the bath.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Gotta love it when the first step to taking down a wall is building 2 more, sturdier walls
The ceiling rafters for each of the rooms meet over that wall. Had I taken that wall out the ceiling would have come down. About 18 years ago I did another one which had the exterior wall of the upstairs resting on the beam I put up.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't know why she didn't ask me to do it but she is going to have someone put flooring in where the wall was. I have plenty to do on the job anyway. I've got to put in a couple of pocket doors, fix a void around the top of a skylight and build a vanity cabinet for the bath.
That's a big ol floor if there gonna drop a tight fitting floorboard in Wouldn't they lose the expansion gap ?

post #9 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebyWoodWorker View Post
Taking out that wall sure does make a difference, Out of curiosity where'd you pick up that I beam from anyhow?
Most any steel supplier will carry I-beams. Had there been more weight or a longer span I would have used a larger beam. Since the span was only about 10' I used a 8" beam. It was 4" wide and since one side of the wall had wall paneling on it I would able to put it in without increasing the thickness of the wall.

The first job I put a steel beam in had a second story where the customer wanted the ceiling flush. After making the temporary walls I cut the upstairs floor joists off the width of the beam and inserted the beam up between them. Before putting the beam up I bolted wood to the inside of both sides of the beam so once it was up in place I was able to put joist hangers on all the floor joists. I used a 10" I-beam on that one.
WeebyWoodWorker likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
That's a big ol floor if there gonna drop a tight fitting floorboard in Wouldn't they lose the expansion gap ?

Since the flooring has probably been there for about 50 years I don't think there will be much of a wood movement issue. You wouldn't be able to match the tongue and groove in that old flooring anyway so it would just be a matter of fitting about three strips of flooring in there with some adhesive. Anyway the wall to the left of my picture is a hallway which the flooring is continious through both rooms.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Since the flooring has probably been there for about 50 years I don't think there will be much of a wood movement issue. You wouldn't be able to match the tongue and groove in that old flooring anyway so it would just be a matter of fitting about three strips of flooring in there with some adhesive. Anyway the wall to the left of my picture is a hallway which the flooring is continious through both rooms.
Oh I see

post #12 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 AM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
Quality job Steve.
Alot of guys only think in terms of wood. I applaud your use of the steel I beam here. That's exactly what should have been done!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.carpenter00 View Post
Quality job Steve.
Alot of guys only think in terms of wood. I applaud your use of the steel I beam here. That's exactly what should have been done!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
The steel also kept the header to a minimum. Using wood I would have had to double 2x12's. The 8" beam was 3" less plus it will never ever sag.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-02-2018, 11:02 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Big job. Well done.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode