Knife block construction. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
Knife block construction.

So need to make a knife block like in the picture, but not sure of the best way to go about it. 1st idea was to do it out of a laminated block making saw blade width slots (dadoes) leaving about a 1/4 of meat left and attaching the back after. But will those cup in over time? Will my saw blade just burn? Idk. Hard maple btw. 2nd thought was to do it in strips but how do I keep the slats from moving in the front? Run single dado on each at attach a Seperate piece? Just looking for thoughts, without out one in hand I can't see how it's constructed.
Thanks.

Name:  image-3495239059.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  47.4 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to CNYWOODS For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (01-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I am glad you posted a picture. From the title I was thinking about the above the counter knife blocks.

I think the "fingers" are different pieces of wood.

Off-the-cuff thoughts on how to make this.

a) The Bottom can be a solid piece of maple, you mentioned 1/4in thick.
Cut the fingers to be "L" shaped with upper part of the L going down the block and lower part over the bottom.
Glue the fingers onto the bottom using e.g., tongue depressors or some pieces of plastic to give you the spacing.
b) Rout the slots out of a solid piece of maple. One set of passes for the top and another set for the bottom. May be easier to use the table saw if you are going with 1/8in space and a blade which makes a flat bottom cut.
I would not expect the blade to burn. This is not a deep cut so should be able to have a feed rate fast enough to avoid burning.

If you go with b) I do not think this will curl. If you are concerned, rout out a couple of 1/4in grooves side to side on the back and glue in pieces of maple to give reinforcement of grain running the other way.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM

View tseitz11's Photo Album My Photos
If you go to google images and search "knife block in drawer" you will get a lot more images that show much better how these are constructed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
In maple I'd cut it out of a solid piece, then add the back.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I was looking thru old issues of wood magazine for a specific plan and came across a plan for an in-drawer knife holder. It looks very similar to the picture you posted. I don't know if you have access to past issue of Wood magazine but if you do it is in the July 2008 issue 184. The plan is on page 94. Hope this helps. I haven't found the plan I am looking for.
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode