Kitchen Table Suggestions Needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

View WouldTimWood's Photo Album My Photos
Kitchen Table Suggestions Needed

A friend of mine has a nice kitchen table that received some abuse over the last few years. Water marks, minor scratches, etc. she asked me to strip it down and restain it. Yesterday I removed the varnish and most like 99% of the stain from the top with a sander and wrapped things up with a final sanding of 220 grit before running out of time. Today her family came over and really liked how the table looked with a natural look and just a hint of the old stain on the wood. She asked me to not stain and to finish it.

Iím looking for suggestions on how to best do this. Some basic search has shown several sites suggesting water based polyethylene clear coat as a finish for natural wood, but Iím not sure this is the best solution for it given the hint of stain still in the wood and the fact itís a kitchen table.

Would an oil base clear coat be best? Or am I ok with water based? Or maybe something else? Iím open to all suggestions. Hereís a basic picture as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA520195-6DD8-4D9B-AF06-3D55FB508120_1520818513104.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	348353  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode