Kinda sad, but not really. New veritas cabinet scraper and card scraper - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By terryh

post #1 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

View renraw9002's Photo Album My Photos
Kinda sad, but not really. New veritas cabinet scraper and card scraper

I'm fairly new to hand tool woodworking so my newbie tendencies are probably to blame for everything. Anywho

Got the veritas cabinet scraper and the full card scraper set for christmas from the parents (couldn't be more thrilled). Until i went to roll my first burr with the variable burnisher thing... I almost immediately hated it. I tried light passes like many people said to do, I tried pressing hard like others said. obviously this was after polishing all 3 sides of the edges of the card scraper with a sharpening stone to make everything all nice and pretty and perfectly ready to take a burr as I'd seen in 1000 videos. No matter what i tried with this damn thing I was doing great to get itty bitty shavings, but mostly i made dust both with the cabinet scraper and with the card scrapers. I kept assuming I was to blame and I probably am and i'm just not using the variable burnisher correctly.

Finally after an hour of farting around and cleaning edges and sharpening and trying it this way and that way I had a thought from a Paul Sellers' article amongst other articles. Why not just use a screwdriver as a burnisher? They do it, so can I.

All seemed lost and I pulled out this cheap p.o.s screwdriver from my toolbox and put a burr on the cabinet scraper and the card scraper. Suddenly voila, beautiful shavings. The wood literally shines after a couple passes. Couldn't be happier... except that my parents spent a lot of money on a fancy burnisher which was completely outclassed by a $2~ screwdriver.

Any tips anyone might have for using the variable burnisher? Or should I just suck it up and continue using this cheapo screwdriver as a burnisher?

Also how do people use their thumbs to bend the card scraper? My thumbs are now killing me after using it that way. I took another note from Paul Sellers and used the palm of my hand and that worked great. Maybe my thumbs will just become stronger from using them that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I use my thumbs, palms, finger tips - whatever seems to work best at the time and whether I'm pushing or pulling. For burnishing I use 1/2" diameter hardened, ground, and polished steel pin about 4" long. I keep saying that I want to get something easier to use but now I might try one of my old $2 screwdrivers. Thanks for the tip!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 AM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
I've found it works better for me to pull the card scraper towards me using my thumbs and fingers. I've had a scraper for probably 15 years and I still sometimes fail at making a nice burr. When I get a good burr, they (the scraper) is great. Good for getting glue smears off and removing imperfections. If I have a good burr, there is no need for sandpaper. Screw driver works good as does any smooth round rod. I've even used a socket extension. I also round the corners slightly on two corners. I keep 2 corners sharp for some occasions. Keeps the corners from digging in accidentally and leaving a line. I seen a video where a guy took an old hand saw and cut it up and made new card scrapers. Thak also works good. I went to a free seminar of card scrapers 25 years ago and he had a little jug he made that works great also. I will take some pictures and pass it along. If I forget, remind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
In the old days before sandpaper, the scrapers were all woodworkers used.
Now with the best power tools and an abundance of sandpaper, we still gripe about how slow it goes.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 11:25 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Stanley used to make a scraper holder that looked kind of like a spoke shave, there was a screw in the middle that pushed on a piece of metal to get the scarper to deflect as much or little as you wanted.I used to have one but it grew legs, and I haven't been able to find one since, actually I ain't been looking too hard, but it was a nice tool.

If you work a mill file right you can turn a good burr on a card scraper, I now have a $25 Carter burnisher that does a good job, just as good as a $2 screwdriver LOL
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 11:28 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
But back to the Veritas burnisher,they work very well to burnish scraper lathe tools, so if you have a lathe you can use it to sharpen the scarpers, and if you don't have a lathe you need to get one, it is another nice place to spend money on,the lathe is the cheap part the chisels and gouges are the high priced part LOL
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 12:05 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Stanley used to make a scraper holder that looked kind of like a spoke shave, there was a screw in the middle that pushed on a piece of metal to get the scarper to deflect as much or little as you wanted.I used to have one but it grew legs, and I haven't been able to find one since, actually I ain't been looking too hard, but it was a nice tool.

Stanley #80 - a great tool. I don't use it often, but when dealing with really gnarly grain, there's nothing like it.

Also, never had a problem with the Veritas burnishers -- have two different models.
Attached Images

Catpower likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

This is the variable burnisher I have. on the wider, thicker scrapers it works so so, but on the thinner, narrower ones that came with the set it doesn't work worth a crap cause the handle takes up the whole width of the scraper so i can't press down hardly at all. Should I set it to 0 degrees first and pass it over the card scraper and then change it to whatever degree I want? I also have veritas' remake of the no 80 stanley cabinet scraper and it's amazing, but i've resigned myself to using the screwdriver to put a burr on that because the blade is so small there's no hope of using this variable burnisher thing on it.
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2018, 11:42 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I'd be inclined to return the burnisher and spend the money on something else. Here's why:

There are a class of tools which have come into existence because many modern woodworkers want machine-shop precision on everything they do, and this is one of them. In some cases, they're fantastic: the adaptation of machinist's spacing blocks for setting up woodworking equipment (like table saws) is great. Others, like this, allow accuracy that isn't really necessary.

If you're one of the machine-shop accuracy crowd, that's fine: I disagree, but that's my problem, not yours. But in this case, the level of precision a scraper needs is relatively low, as you found when trying to burnish with a screwdriver.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amckenzie4 View Post
I'd be inclined to return the burnisher and spend the money on something else. Here's why:

There are a class of tools which have come into existence because many modern woodworkers want machine-shop precision on everything they do, and this is one of them. In some cases, they're fantastic: the adaptation of machinist's spacing blocks for setting up woodworking equipment (like table saws) is great. Others, like this, allow accuracy that isn't really necessary.

If you're one of the machine-shop accuracy crowd, that's fine: I disagree, but that's my problem, not yours. But in this case, the level of precision a scraper needs is relatively low, as you found when trying to burnish with a screwdriver.
I would, but it came with their scraping set. I'm definitely not a machine shop precision type of guy lol. My "workshop" is the porch of my apartment lol. I'm pretty sure I was just using it wrong. I'll watch some YouTube videos or read how to use it correctly when I need to get around to putting another burr on the scrapers. For now I got 6 scrapers with 4 burrs each so I'm probably good for a couple months for all the more woodworking I do.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Iíve read that this burnisher works well, but I havenít tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Arno-Carbide-...aper+burnisher
post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2018, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I'm familiar with that burnisher. A Youtuber by the name of Matt Estlea happens to swear by that burnisher. He's a younger guy so his channel doesn't really have much content yet, but he seems like someone who will be a lot better in say a few years. I'm only 29 and I know for certain he's a good deal younger than me and the more I learn about woodworking the more I feel like I don't know my head from my ass. Granted I think i lean more towards the older style makers like Paul Sellers. I'm accustomed to making do with what I have and finding cheaper solutions to a lot of problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode