4Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By ducbsa

post #1 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

View crookedkut's Photo Album My Photos
Kiln dryer out of a shipping container

Anyone here ever built a kiln dryer out of a shipping container? I was figuring if you install fans and vents and cut out the top and part of the sides so you can install the solar panels it woud work. What do you think, or am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You tube has one ...

Seems like a great idea, but not a lot of examples I could find:

and then there are vacuum kilns:
Tennessee Tim likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-01-2018 at 10:25 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 11:54 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedkut View Post
Anyone here ever built a kiln dryer out of a shipping container? I was figuring if you install fans and vents and cut out the top and part of the sides so you can install the solar panels it woud work. What do you think, or am I missing something?

You need something to heat the inside to 200 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 05:15 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Move the kiln to Arizona or New Mexico? A car can heat up to 140 degrees in the sun. The black paint on the metal should do the trick. I recall a man in Brooklyn, NY, frying eggs on the hood of his black car one summer.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I live in South Texas. It gets pretty hot down here. I figure with the solar panels replacing the metal cutouts it may work.

I had never thought about a vacuum kiln. Vacuum is used to remove all the moisture from AC systems in homes and vehicles.

post #6 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I live in South Texas. It gets pretty hot down here. I figure with the solar panels replacing the metal cutouts it may work.

I had never thought about a vacuum kiln. Vacuum is used to remove all the moisture from AC systems in homes and vehicles.

The heat is needed to sterilize the wood. Often wood has insects deep inside the wood and if the wood is heated to 200 degrees all the way to the center of the wood it would kill any insect infestation the wood might have.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
That's a rather interesting idea.

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
post #8 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The heat is needed to sterilize the wood. Often wood has insects deep inside the wood and if the wood is heated to 200 degrees all the way to the center of the wood it would kill any insect infestation the wood might have.
I am not doubting the heat theory at all. My question is why wouldn't a shipping container work if I treated it on the inside just like I would do to a wooden built kiln. The vents, fans and solar panels would still be there. You could probably buy a small shipping container cheaper that what you could pay to build a kiln dryer.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 02:23 AM
where's my table saw?

That 200 degrees isn't necessary accoring to these links

Quote:
The temperature most often referenced is around 135 to 140 degrees. See the last paragraph here:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...iln_QampA.html

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...is_Enough.html

Also here:
http://www.solarkilninfo.com/a-place...&catid=2&id=34

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-02-2018 at 02:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (04-03-2018)
post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
My nyle L200 shipping container kiln I built. - YouTube

Vacuum Kiln Trials - YouTube
Wow how does that work? I would like more information on that system.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My nyle L200 shipping container kiln I built. - YouTube

Vacuum Kiln Trials - YouTube
This is interesting. Do you have plans for this?

post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is interesting. Do you have plans for this?

The vaccum system that is.

post #13 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
I believe I've read that the Chinese can make new containers cheaper than sending empty ones back there, so there is a glut of them here. I haven't priced one, so I don't know how true it is.

Pulling much of a vacuum in a container may not be possible due to the stresses involved. The vacuum kiln shown above is round, so it can stand the vacuum.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
I believe I've read that the Chinese can make new containers cheaper than sending empty ones back there, so there is a glut of them here. I haven't priced one, so I don't know how true it is.

Pulling much of a vacuum in a container may not be possible due to the stresses involved. The vacuum kiln shown above is round, so it can stand the vacuum.
There is a local guy here that sells them. Gonna ask what the going price is. I will go from there.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
The temperature most often referenced is around 135 to 140 degrees. See the last paragraph here:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...iln_QampA.html

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...is_Enough.html

Also here:
http://www.solarkilninfo.com/a-place...&catid=2&id=34
The question is how do you know if the information they are posting is correct. From what I understand the standard for a dry kiln for sterilizing purposes is 100 degrees Celsius which is 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 AM
where's my table saw?

I trust the professsor who wrote it

QUOTE:
From Professor Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor:
Almost all insects will not survive low MCs. The lyctid powder post beetle enters wood at low MCs, so it is unlikely that you have a PPB in your kiln dried lumber that is still in the kiln. With your six hours at 130 F, it sounds like you are well protected.

Dr. Gene Wengert (the Wood Doctor) is Professor Emeritus in Wood Processing, Department of Forestry, at the University of Wisconsin (Madison) and president of The Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC, through which he provides educational and consulting services to lumber processing

QUOTE:
From contributor J:
According to the DKOM, powder post beetles are killed at temperatures as low as 125F. They show T ranges of 125-130-140. For the lowest temperature, it takes longer, of course, 46-50 hours. For 140F, 3-7 hours is listed.

We are trying to kill the powder post bugs, not sterilizing the wood, like in a hospital autoclave.

The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
post #17 of 19 Old 04-03-2018, 06:22 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
As a point of reference, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISPM_15 for international wood shipping materials, the temperature is 133F.
The Following User Says Thank You to ducbsa For This Useful Post:
post #18 of 19 Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The question is how do you know if the information they are posting is correct. From what I understand the standard for a dry kiln for sterilizing purposes is 100 degrees Celsius which is 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
Steve, I've read a lot of documents on sterilizing wood AND I've NEVER seen a reference to 200 or + degrees. The "wood doc" Dr. Gene has the most knowledge in this field AND from all other sources and documents /studies they're all roughly state the same 133 deg AT the CORE (VERY IMPORTANT) for most state 3 hrs. and most are saying a kiln average heat of 140 for hardwoods without extra precautions.
THE closest reference to 200 I've ever read was 180-185...BUT....BUT...BUT THAT was for setting the pitch in softwoods (species group NOT JANKA scale). I just got through building AND running a load through my home built sterilizer only. This is JUST to STERILIZE/KILL the bugs with some AD'd pieces along with parts and pieces of found stumps and roots for displays and decor.

Quote:
I am not doubting the heat theory at all. My question is why wouldn't a shipping container work if I treated it on the inside just like I would do to a wooden built kiln. The vents, fans and solar panels would still be there. You could probably buy a small shipping container cheaper that what you could pay to build a kiln dryer.

Crookedkut, YES a shipping container can be used OR a refrigerated (insulated) trailer (as semi). Nyle has kits for this.
I personally use a shed building that are built from the cutouts of insulated metal doors. ....so I have roughly 1 3/4" of urethane sandwiched between steel....RODENT PROOF. NOT the prettiest BUT very functional!!!! The ones in my area are up to 12' wide and 6' to 30' long. I have 3....2 for drying/sterilizing and 1 for safe storage of rodent free area. I just run weatherstripping around the doors and cover the vents.

Sorry no pics unless you research my old threads re" kiln". I also set mine up a little different and use under/updraft heating to gain the most efficiency of my heat source....hot air rises.

Sorry for not posting sooner, I've been trying to scan the posts/threads BUT NO response time prepping for this show AND work full time also.

Blessings and take time to research a lot of documents....research the writers also.....DON'T take all you read as facts BUT when you have consistant statements start digging deeper in those. I AIN'T doing your leg work, BUT I will help you on your basis fundementals.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-04-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I just got another idea. I have a lot (I mean a lot) of brick just stacked in my back yard. I have the mortar mix and rebar. All would need is the concrete for the foundation and I could have the outer was complete. I am now thinking of starting it out of that. Then I would insulate the inside and place the fans and the vents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode