Keeping paint/India ink from bleeding into grain next to groove - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

View bmuir1616's Photo Album My Photos
Keeping paint/India ink from bleeding into grain next to groove

I need to make several crisp black lines in BB plywood. The tip of a hunting knife makes a nice shallow groove.
I want to color the groove black and then sand away the black on the plywood leaving the black in the groove. How do I keep the black out of the grain next to the groove.
Then apply finish to fill in the groove (will that happen with water borne poly?) with finish or clear grain filler?
Another way to do this might be to route a 1/8x1/8 inch groove and glue in a 1/8x1/8 strip of wood, sand it flush with the plywood and then be dyed/stained it black and glue in place.
Comments/ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
I'd put a coat of poly on first ... to seal the grain. Give it the full 3 or 4 days to fully cure. Then do the black lines, sand and put on another coat of poly.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Mikechell is correct, the wood needs to be sealed for what you are doing. I believe I would use a dewaxed shellac such as Zinsser Sealcoat. It's mixed with alcohol the same as the ink so more likely to be compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2016, 09:57 PM

View jwmalone's Photo Album My Photos
Like mikechell said cut the groves THEN polly you can use wood filler dyed black pack it in let dry sand smoth another polly coat. ive done that before with good results

For every improper action there is an equal and totally horrible reaction. Grandpas take on Newton as applied to wood working.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Look at a decorative wood carving technique called kolrosing, where the color is rubbed into the grooves. Similar to scrimshaw.
If you want your efforts to be sophisticated, fine line designs, then paint is a mistake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode