just starting - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

View Bigboat1's Photo Album My Photos
just starting

Iím looking for advice. The last couple years I have done some little projects around the house (Kitchen Island, end tables, coffee table) but they were all pretty basic, think pocket screws and 2x4ís. None the less it has been fun and satisfying to build something that is specific to my needs and the spot in our house itís going. But now I want to step my game up, so I cleared some space in the basement to set up a little shop. Iíve got a pretty solid miter saw, a router table, and a contractor style table saw. So I would love some input on how you guys think I should prioritize my limited resources, i.e. budget and space. im planning on spending about 750 to get started. So after that long winded set up I would love any and all ideas/ suggestions on how best to jump into this hobby a little deeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
In my experience with my home shop, each project basically determined if I needed a new tool or two. What type of projects do you plan to do in the near future?

There are some basics like dust collection, clamps, a sander, but again your projects will determine tooling size/capacity/type. Please give us a little more information.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Setting up shop is an exciting time in any woodworker's life. Tom has some very good advise for you. Your question is very open to lots of different angles for advice and while all could be spot on for you... they could all be wrong for you. So pick a project - buy the tools you need to build it and finish it! If you don't need any new tools... good... build and learn new joinery.

Do sit in your workspace and envision your workflow. What point does your lumber come into the shop. Where will it be stored? Then you need to cut it down... what tool will you use? Lots of folks have miter saws and can't live without it... I've never owned one so my table saw is crucial... along with my workbench (do you have one?). Once you've spent time envisioning the workflow - set up!

I have set up my workshop at least 20 times in the past 14 years... but my main components have not moved (table saw and workbench). You are now open to so many different options so muster up some patience and start your shop.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
Tom-G (08-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2015, 10:22 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
One of the joys of woodworking is that there is always another way to get the job done, as Bernie says he gets along fine without a miter saw because he has developed an alternative method to cross cut his material.
I believe it as always a good idea to just get at it and build things, when you find a process awkward with the tools you have then it is time to get a new tool to do that job.

Most of us have white elephants in the shop from when we jumped the gun only to find it was not the answer we thought it would be.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Seems to me you've already got the start of a decent shop with the table saw and router. After that, I'd look into getting a decent thickness planer, a jointer after that, and then a bandsaw. And clamps. Lots and lots of clamps

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Big boat
Based on what listed tools you now have, I think you're ready to start a major project. You will need a variety of clamps and a few hand tools, but as stated above, you can buy as needed, as you go.
Good luck.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 AM

View sawdust703's Photo Album My Photos
Two major things to consider in a basement shop are lighting & clean air. Its crucial to have ventilation when you are doing your finish work & sanding. What about electrical outlets? Its wise not to try & over load one or two outlets with your tools. Cleanliness is a necessity. And keep them clean. Use the child protectors to help w/that. Wood storage can also be an issue. From experience, try not to keep every scrap around, & keep your project wood stored dry, level, & as straight as possible. Use as much wall space as possible for your tools. Try to put casters on your big tools for easy mobility, & more shop room. As mentioned, you've got a good start on tools. Figure out a project, & go from there. You can make some of the tools you may need. You'll figure things out as you go along. Best of luck. Be safe, & enjoy your venture!

Sawdust 703
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 AM

View tchara's Photo Album My Photos
Like you, I too want to get more serious about my woodworking hobby. I have always had enough tools around to do small, simple jobs like a circular saw, miter box, a few clamps and so on. But lately I have wanted to dive in deeper and to some real woodworking projects.

I have watched a ton of video online, trying to learn and get ideas. One thing that has surprised me is tools I have have never owned before, and seemed to get along fine without, are now the tools I seem to use the most. I bought a 10" band saw about a year ago, because I got real good deal at a garage sale. Never owned one before, and I use it almost as much as my table saw. I bought a digital calipers at Harbor Freight because I had a "super " coupon, and have been surprised by how much I use it.

I watch CL closely for good deals, and stop at garage sales, and have saved a lot of my budget that way. I agree with the previous posts, that your tool purchasing should reflect the particular project you need the tools for. But some times after you buy a tool, you wonder how you,ever managed with out it.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
You seem to have the basics covered, table saw and router/ router table. I learned to buy tools for need not for want. I pissed away a lot of money buying the cool gadget of the month and not using it and it either sat there or I gave it away. I would wait until you start building things and learn more.

Put money away in the kitty and if you find you need something you will have the money to get it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode