Jointers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

View davehuss's Photo Album My Photos
Jointers

I'm looking for a new jointer. I've seen a planer/jointer combo from Grizzly. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Min Max FS35 jointer planer

It's a 13" jointer/planer and it's a fine machine. I have not used the planer function since I have a 12" Foley Belsaw planer and a 15" Jet planer, but the jointer qworks great. The dust collection changer over was a bit tedious, snother reason for not using the planer.

The things to be aware of are dust collection change over, the length of the tables which in some cases are too short for accurate edging and the type of controls. I prefer a handwheel personally. My machine has levrs to change the table heights or depth of cuts and they are just not as precise as I would prefer. Mine has a 3 HP motor, which is enough power for a moderate cut on a wide board.

At some point the Grizzlys were a German made unit by Sheppech if I recall. If that is still the case, I donno? Mine is Italian made I believe. Europeans prefer space saving machines or "combos" for some reason, and have several 5 in one variants.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-02-2015, 12:05 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A lot depends on which one you are thinking about. A lot of jointer/planers have a short bed. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a jointer. Grizzly does have one that is 5' long. If you got one like that it should be alright however it's about two grand. You could buy a used 6" jointer and a 12" planer for far less than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-02-2015, 01:07 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased the Jet model and I've been very satisfied with it. Changing the operation of the tool is very easy (even the dust chute). I did a review of the tool when I first purchased it and since then, I have no complaints and wish to simply add time of usage. The tables are fine and still have not experienced any snipe issues. Here is the link to my original review
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f24/j...ination-62473/

To be totally honest - a couple of very minor issues! The lock lever for the planer operation is not needed! - Once in a while, the lever to activate the feed in the planer mode slacks off a bit and I have to reach down and apply an upward preasuer.

I still highly recommend this machine!

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.

Last edited by BernieL; 06-02-2015 at 01:12 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
I have the long bed (54A) Powermatic.. I wouldn't want a jointer any shorter than that and would have bought a larger one if I had the room.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Ive always been kinda skeptical of combination machines like that. Its always struck me that in order for it to preform one operation well, it has to cut corners on making the other operation. I'm with Steve, the short beds are enough to turn me off then combos, and youd be better served with separate machines.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 8 Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM

View Mort Tenon's Photo Album My Photos
I had a Craftsman short bed (benchtop) jointer for several years before finally junking it and buying a Powermatic 54HH. The short bed was useless for any board over a few inches long.

Also, the 54HH has a helical head, which I would heartily recommend over standard knives, no matter which brand you end up with. I've never seen a smoother edge.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
no comment

Last edited by Hammer1; 06-02-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode