jointers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

View David Huss's Photo Album My Photos
jointers

I'm looking for an 8 in. jointer with perhaps a four foot table. I'd prefer a benchtop model, but may have to get a floor model. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly. I'm unaware of an 8 inch bench top. Most are floor standing

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This may be the closest you will find

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JJP-10BTOS-10-Inch-Bench-Top-Jointer/dp/B001O0D6OC
Short table lengths on a jointer are not the best for getting a straight edge on long boards however......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There are a number of different brands of 8" benchtop jointers. Perhaps space is an issue but you would be better off with a long bed jointer which would only come in a floor model. It's difficult to straighten long lengths of lumber on a benchtop jointer. As far as brand, I would avoid Delta giving the situation with replacement parts they have. Personally I will never buy another Delta piece of equipment again. The last three tools I bought were poorly built and some of the parts I'm having to improvise.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Sawdust Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl
Grizzly. I'm unaware of an 8 inch bench top. Most are floor standing
I should restate that I'm unaware of any 8 inch bench tops with 4 foot tables...

post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

View David Huss's Photo Album My Photos
jointers

ok If I get a floor model, what size tables do you suggest, what brand, and what type of cutter head?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Sawdust Creator

It all comes down to money....helical heads are better than straight knives.....wider is better.....longer is better....

post #8 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Huss View Post
ok If I get a floor model, what size tables do you suggest, what brand, and what type of cutter head?
The questions you are asking come down to money. For the most part woodworking machinery can last a lifetime so you have to ask yourself is the machine you are going to buy going to do all the jobs you intend to do. Otherwise you buy one for now and then a few years later you start trying to upgrade. I started with a 4" table top jointer and in a year bought a 6" floor model. The table on it was short and I struggled with it for 40 years, jury rigging an extension on the table. By this this time I had my own shop working professionally using this little 6" jointer. I figured using the jointer in a professional shop it would wear out pretty fast and I would upgrade then but it's still going. It wasn't until last December I upgraded the jointer. This time I skipped the 8" jointer and bought a 12" jointer. Realisticly brand doesn't make a great deal of difference and since machinery lasts so long it doesn't hurt to buy used. You can probably get more jointer for the buck if you buy a used jointer. The 12" jointer I bought in December was built in the 1960's. It was a Northfield jointer which I paid about 10% what a brand new one would cost but it runs on three phase power. This is something you need to watch if you choose to buy used professional equipment as you would have to purchase a phase converter to make it work on your household power.

Anyway to answer your question I would recommend you buy a Powermatic jointer. They are a bit more expensive but in ten years if you choose to sell it you can expect to sell it for what you paid for it. I've never seen the need for helical heads. They just run quieter. Ear protection is cheaper. Then the rest is to quote Ryan, a wider table is better and a longer table is better.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Sawdust Creator

The helical heads also tend to tear out less, and are easier to change the knives

post #10 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Wayne

View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Grizzly 6" jointer with the spiral cutting head. The tables are 47" long. This jointer works well for what I do, but there are times I wish I had an 8", to face joint some lumber. Instead I have to rip the board to be able to face joint a board over 6". The I have to glue it back together for the project. Other then that, it is a great machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode