Jointers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

View splinter2's Photo Album My Photos
Jointers

Hello all,
Iam in the market for a Jointer, and iam more of a Hobbyist as of now but love to build, and someday may take it to the next step? But my qustion is On jointers 6" or 8" what are the pro's and con's, also iam pretty sure iam going with a Stand alone Model, rather than a bench top.

Splinter2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
6": 1) Cost 2) mobility 3) takes up less floor space 4) sufficient size for just about all edge jointing and 99% of most face jointing.
8": 1) Longer out feed table, can joint longer stock 2) Usually a more powerful motor than 6" 3) Will face joint wider stock 4) Heavier, less vibration

If cost and space are not a factor I'd go with an 8". In my case both are factors which is why I have a 6" and there have only been a couple of times I wish I had an 8. Then again, there have been times when I wished I had a 16".
post #3 of 9 Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 PM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I have got by over the last twelve years with my delta 6". If and when I can get a grand together to spend on a tool I will buy a grizzly 8" with a spiral head. I work with wide stock more now than ever and I would really prefer a 12" but I could never afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 06:19 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Check out these threads

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/p...44/#post109523
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/g...27/#post100925
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/p...15/#post105000

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-14-2010 at 06:33 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
A 6" jointer will suit you fine. If you have the money for the 8", even better.

Red

Red
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
With the use of a sled and wedges, I flatten 12" stock in my lunch box planer. IMHO, an 8" jointer has but one advantage over a 6", that being bed length. That problem I solve with outfeed and infeed rollers.
Again, JMO, unless you are doing production work, purchasing an 8" jointer relieves you of financial resources that could be used more effectively.

Of course, YMMV!

Gene
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 AM

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 6 inch and it serves me fine. There are times that I could use an 8 inch but I can't justify the cost right now. The pros and cons have already been mentioned. You say your just a hobbyist, I would think a 6 inch would be good enough depending on what you are planning on building. Like mentioned if money isn't an object then the bigger is better in this situation, if money is an object I would think a 6" would be fine and then you can use the saved money to buy other tools/machines. Your thinking is good about not getting a bench top model, they are alright but the stand alones are heavier and more stable and have a bigger table to get truer boards and they have a stronger motor.

Thanks for your help
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

View splinter2's Photo Album My Photos
Jointers

spiral head is this somethng that just comes on the 8", iam probably going to go with a 6" As Money is real tight for us all right now. I have looked on CL without much luck, So iam probably go to wait and see whats at the show next week (Peachtree Woodworking show In Indy), But iam sure most of them will be out of my price range, its nice to shop and Dream. Thanks guys for the Replys, this place is almost better than shooping? oh what are some brands that would be good, I looked at the Craftmans 6" And the Delta 6" those seem to be the most prev ones at the Box stores.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Jointers are such simple contraptions that I wouldn't fear buying a good branded one off CL. Inspect if you can. Insure bed coplanar, fence adjustment, bed movement. Take a straight edge that will reach from the infeed bed, across the length of the out feed, and take a good square to check the fence to bed squareness. Most good jointers have a way to adjust the bed(s). But, you need to check the flatness of each, as well as whether infeed and out feed can be adjusted to the same plane. Check out the motor, of course.

No doubt, if you buy used you'll need to sharpen or replace the cutters.
When you get money ahead, here is a place that makes spiral cutters for 6" jointers. The even have one for my 36 year old Craftsman 6". Which, BTW, is a great old tool!

http://www.byrdtool.com/jointers.html

Good hunting,
Gene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode