Which JOINTER/PLANER combo do you recommend - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 11-13-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

View Ruben Moreno's Photo Album My Photos
Which JOINTER/PLANER combo do you recommend

Hello

I'm looking for a jointer/planer combo but I see there are few options available

I'm between the
HAMMER A3 31
JET JJP-12HH 12
RIKON 25-210H

Does anyone have experience with these?

Ruben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I don't own any of those, but I saw a demo of the Hammer and it was extremely well made. When I downsize, it's what I'll trade my full size machines for.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-14-2019, 04:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'll add another one ....

This is the one I own and it is well made and works well except the dust collection is a bit finicky from planer to jointer:

Here's the Hammer A3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-14-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-14-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses, I will try to find a local dealer of SCM MINIMAX to see the price because I want something that fits my budget which is not a lot

Also, do you think that I can get a good dust collection with a shop vac hooked to a cyclone separator? to any of this kind of jointer/planer, I understand that I would need an adapter from 2" to 4" but I don't know if the CFM will be good enough
post #5 of 10 Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Yes that is what I liked about that machine, that it have a small footprint compared to having two machines
post #6 of 10 Old 11-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Ruben,

I have a Grizzly G0634XP. Probably 8 or 10 years old. I bought it as part of the 'Introductory Pricing' for about $2250 with tax and shipping with inside delivery (Garage). It is a 12 inch Jointer Planer combination machine. This is a good machine and it has the carbide indexable cutters in the head. I don't know how it could be better. I am sure that there are other machines out there but this one is very adequate.

The current pricing with delivery inside and taxes you wont get much change from $3000. The new model has a 5 HP motor. I don't remember what the HP of mine is but the 5 HP specification surprised me.

When I was looking, I considered a Hammer and a Minimax. I saw both machines at AWFS in Las Vegas. However when I received the Grizzly I didn't do a "I wish I had bought. . ." IIRC the then cost was over $4000 for either. Plus the sales people had the attitude, "Kiss my patootie and I will go out of my way to sell you the machine." At AWFS it seemed as though if the sale was less than $100,000 they were too busy to talk to you. The really funny thing was that about 6 months later I saw one of the salesmen at "The Woodworking Show" trying to gain interest in a Rip Saw with a power feeder as an optional extra.

As for dust collection. Don't even think about using a shop vac, period. I was making some raised panels the other day. In about 2 hours I half filled a 33 gallon galvanized trash can with chips from the JP. The home made separator is on the trash can and the wood flour goes into the Jet 1 HP Dust Collector bag. Almost 100% separation.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2019, 12:43 AM
EdS

View EdS's Photo Album My Photos
I have had the Hammer A1-31 for about 3 years, it works perfectly for my needs. The tables are thick cast iron and dead flat from the factory. Change over time is mininal, dust collection is excellent. The helictical head is sweet, I havent had any tear out, even with figured hardwoods. My only complaint is the lack of of a cast iron fence, instead they provide an aluminum fence that just isn't as stout as I would like. Very nice 4HP motor, runs on 220 so be prepared for that.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your detail explanation and I understand what is to deal with arrogant sellers, I've had a lot of troubles when I try to buy something that is industrial but with a tight budget,

I ended up buying the hammer a31, I'm living in Mexico and it was my best choice because the grizzly would be a lot of shipping.

And I'm now in the search of a good dust collection system and thank you for your advice on not using a shop vac
post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, this is the machine I just bought, I will receive it in around 6 weeks but hearing that you have 3 years with it reassures me that I made a good choice
post #10 of 10 Old 11-19-2019, 02:02 AM
EdS

View EdS's Photo Album My Photos
When my Hammer A1-31 was delivered, it came on a pallet and attached with brackets and torx screws. The delivery guys will likely not have the bit to remove the screws, so get a small set of torx bits to remove the screws and dis-assemble the pallet before the truck arrives. Also very important, the machine weighs about 1000 lbs, you will need a pallet jack to move it off the truck and into your shop. Either make sure the shipper has one on the truck, or rent one yourself. You will use either the same pallet jack or some other means of lifting the planer off the pallet.
I also highly recommend getting the mobiliy kit with the planer, along with the johnson bar to roll it around the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode