Jointer Continued... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

View JCMeyersIV's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer Continued...

Decided to start this over again since the last one spun out of control lol. So to update: My budget is still, as stated previously, tight. I'm taking the dust collector out sticking with my vac and getting a better air filter (automatic, less money, and less amps than a DC)

The problem I'm hitting is the jointer. I'm taking all your advice (thanks again!) and will be getting both a planer and jointer. I found a reasonably priced grizzly jointer that has a 42" fence and that us the size people say to go with but the price tag is 150 higher than a delta benchtop jointer. I dunno what I can squeeze. So as experienced woodworkers I'm leaving this up to you to decide for me... Take the dive and spend the extra? Or go safe for now?

I hate leaving long posts but I don't want to leave out details. Basically my main thing here is can I get by with a bench top for a while or would it just be best to go standalone now and make some money to catch up for the extra? Also im getting a new band saw from grizz, anyone deal with them before and know if they might cut me a deal if I explain my situation and buy the saw, the jointer, and one of their planers? (I want the 734 but the grizz with DC is the same price)

I've got $1000 in chairs to make by July so I mean this might be a mute(sp) point. But I don't wanna burn my slush fund ya know. Thanks again for your help and advice.

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Get the bigger jointer now, you're only going to replace the little and you won't get your money back on it. Plus the small size really limits the size of your projects. Trust me on this, I started with that same one and am much happier with my big one.

I have the Dewalt 734 and it's a great planer for a few hundred less than the 735. That should cover the difference in price for the jointer.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Exactly what sawdust said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the above.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 02:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer size???

You said:
The problem I'm hitting is the jointer. I'm taking all your advice (thanks again!) and will be getting both a planer and jointer. I found a reasonably priced grizzly jointer that has a 42" fence and that us the size people say to go with but the price tag is 150 higher than a delta benchtop jointer. I dunno what I can squeeze. So as experienced woodworkers I'm leaving this up to you to decide for me... Take the dive and spend the extra? Or go safe for now?

Jointers are sized by the width of the cutter head, 6",8",12" etc.
The other measurement is the length of the bed...66", 72"...etc
The fence size is not usually a spec that is given.
Horse Power of the motor is the next factor. A 1 HP motor is a minimum. 2 or 3 will be needed for a 8" - 12".
Bigger/wider is better in the case of a jointer, always. I have a few 6"s an 8" and a 13". The 6's get a lot of use, but there's a stack of 8" wide stock that I need to surface real soon on the 8".
Heavy tools are always best. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 PM

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
Here's what I get out of your post. "I have 1000 dollars in chairs to make by july"

Spend the money on the bigger jointer and order it. How long does it take to get tools delivered from grizzly? Can you make the chairs with the tools you have now?

If this was me I would use the money from the chairs as an excuse to buy the new tools. Then you will have the tools for the next projects and you can pocket that profit.

Thanks for your help
post #7 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

The chairs can be made without the jointer but I'm preparing to make a kitchen island in July.

And also I meant a 42" table, not fence, my bad lol.

I'll prolly go big and make up for it. Just seems like its smarter and cheaper in the long run.

Just wanted a final opinion before I go through with it. Shipped and all that the jointer and saw are 1100. Seems like its going to be worth it. My "slush fund" has about 1700 in it. Only 200 short on the jointer + planer and making those chairs will only cost me four or five hundred for materials at most so money well spent I'm sure! Thanks guys!

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
post #8 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 AM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
The jointer is a great tool for straightening the edge of lumber in some instances but I recommend before you get too enthused about flattening 6,8,or 10 inch wide boards you find someone that has one and give it a try. I believe you'll find it more difficult than what you see on most videos.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM

View autre's Photo Album My Photos
I've been at this dilemma. I researched at least as hard as you have been.

My choice became a 6-1/8" (Ridgid JP0610) jointer (CL $200). Every time I use it I thank the stars I didn't get a benchtop jointer, even though I have very limited work space. For this tool, I make room. Invest in a mobile base (shop around--Woodcraft, Peachtree, Rockler, etc. for sales). I have also read a thousand times that one will desire an eight inch jointer immediately upon receipt of the 6" and that just may be the case with most, but I've never regretted my decision. I've had it for almost two years and by the time you need an 8" you will have figured out how to use your planer for wider stock, IMO.

Get the 6" jointer. The eight can wait. If you get a benchtop you will curse us all!
post #10 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandburRanch View Post
The jointer is a great tool for straightening the edge of lumber in some instances but I recommend before you get too enthused about flattening 6,8,or 10 inch wide boards you find someone that has one and give it a try. I believe you'll find it more difficult than what you see on most videos.
There is definitely a technique required for surfacing the flat side of a board. It's not a 1 pass operation and you have a flat surface.

Here's what I do. I sight down the surface and see if it's flat , concave or convex. I like to put the concave surface down first so it touches on two points at either end. Then I "partially" plane the concave ends alternately flipping it end for end by just planing in far enough and repeatedly until it looks flat to my sight. I'm trying to remove the wood that is not part of a flat surface.
When It's relatively flat then I will run the entire length of the board over the cutter until the color is even and it will not rock on a large flat surface, still sighting it by eye.
Then that large flat surface is placed against the fence and the first edge is jointed square to it. If the board is curved, you can plane in partially, removing the material which is concave, sighting each time and flipping end for end as necessary.
A 6 ft board is about all I want to joint on a 6" jointer, but I have used roller supports for longer ones. You have to be dead on with your support height or you will not get a straight or flat surface. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-29-2012 at 05:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (05-30-2012)
post #11 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Before you settle on a benchtop jointer you might want to talk to Paul: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/b...me-nuts-36621/

Don't waste your time, get a larger one. It's well worth it. Look at what used 6" jointers can be found around you.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM
No Longer Here

View Benny Blanco's Photo Album My Photos
I just purchased a 8" Grizzly "older green model". Glad I found an 8".
The 8" size, is more scarce in my area.
bill has great advice on getting a board flat, works for me.
Of course, a board can be so bad, that its not going to get where you want it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benny Blanco For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (05-29-2012)
post #13 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I have a grizzly 6" big "real" jointer on the way. Grizzly seems to be the best quality at a low price (not man negative reviews.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats and be sure to post pictures. I have a Grizz jointer and love it. They hold their value pretty well too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (05-30-2012)
post #15 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Doug! Ill have a ton of photos over the next week or two. I finally have everything large where it goes, everything storage and wall wise built, and now it's time to just organize and clean. And trust me with the hot temperatures and humid climate it's a pleasure to be able to leisurely organize and arrange things in my new shop. Put my old tv from college in here too so I have plenty of interesting background noise (never been much of a tv "watcher" ya know, just not a fan of total silence)

The jointer will be here hopefully this week with the band saw and then now new tools for a while except a planer.

Cheers guys!

post #16 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 AM

Dude. Congrats'!

Be careful with 'em and read the stinkin' manuals!
The Following User Says Thank You to autre For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (05-30-2012)
post #17 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 AM

AAAAANnnnnd......

If you haven't already done so somewhere here, could you please enlighten me (us) to the quotation at the bottom of your thread\reply boxes? What the...?
post #18 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

My boss one day had to remove a tree that was blocking a road and it was about 90 degrees and humid. He was wearing shorts, so he thought he should wear chaps, but then quickly decided against it. So I told him it doesn't matter what you wear if you're not wearing protective chaps cuz jeans aren't stopping a saw chain.

post #19 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMeyersIV View Post
My boss one day had to remove a tree that was blocking a road and it was about 90 degrees and humid. He was wearing shorts, so he thought he should wear chaps, but then quickly decided against it. So I told him it doesn't matter what you wear if you're not wearing protective chaps cuz jeans aren't stopping a saw chain.
That's hilarious. And very true. Hopefully, you'll keep this in mind while feeding wood into your new toys!

Thanks for cluing me in (after asking, I checked your bio, and thought it may have been a "Marvin" quote. Hah!).
post #20 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Haha! I'm glad you found it funny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode