Jointer blade sharpening - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

View oakcutter's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer blade sharpening

I have a small woodsmith jointer that needs a tuneup but I don't know the first thing about how to do that. Where can I get information or instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
we need inormation to give information

If you just want to remove the blades and either sharpen or hone them, and then reset them.... here are 38 threads on that subject:
searched "jointer blade sharpening" http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...archid=1297664

searched "jointer blade honing" http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...archid=1297659

Sometimes removing them is tricky if they are stuck.

You either have gibs, wedge shaped locking blocks, or retaining screws on a thin bar with lock nuts. Any photos?

Before you take them out, measure their height off the outfeed table with a dial indicator on an magnet based arm so you can install them at the same height. If you have jack screws under the blades ...don't mess with those....now. Honing should not remove enough metal to require any adjustments on those. Number the blades and number the slots where they went as you take them out.... just so everything is as close to original as possible. That don't mean you won't have to fine tune the heights later but you'll be very close.

Where you from? Fill out your profile details so we can see who else is close to your location..... other interests?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-13-2013 at 07:43 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

View oakcutter's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If you just want to remove the blades and either sharpen or hone them, and then reset them.... here are 38 threads on that subject: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...=1296842&pp=25

Sometimes removing them is tricky if they are stuck.

You either have gibs, wedge shaped locking blocks, or retaining screws on a thin bar with lock nuts. Any photos?

Before you take them out, measure their height off the outfeed table with a dial indicator on an magnet based arm so you can install them at the same height. If you have jack screws under the blades ...don't mess with those....now. Honing should not remove enough metal to require any adjustments on those. Number the blades and number the slots where they went as you take them out.... just so everything is as close to original as possible. That don't mean you won't have to fine tune the heights later but you'll be very close.

Where you from? Fill out your profile details so we can see who else is close to your location..... other interests?
I'm new to this site so maybe I don't know how to get around yet but when I clicked on the link you sent, it takes me back to a blank search window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcutter View Post
I'm new to this site so maybe I don't know how to get around yet but when I clicked on the link you sent, it takes me back to a blank search window.
For some reason the search results link is not working. I have the same problem now and again.

Go to your favourite search engine and type in the blue text

host:Woodworkingtalk.com jointer blade sharpen

Many earlier threads on the topic.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM
where's my table saw?

I fixed the links...I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcutter View Post
I checked them both and got results so....I donno?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
I have a question about this. I have a Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer and I hit 2 nails with it. So there are 2 small chips in the blade close to the fence side. Can these be sharpened out or do I need new blades? Is there any technique on getting these off?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe16 View Post
I have a question about this. I have a Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer and I hit 2 nails with it. So there are 2 small chips in the blade close to the fence side. Can these be sharpened out or do I need new blades? Is there any technique on getting these off?
Try shifing the blades a bit, so the chips don't line up,
post #8 of 10 Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 AM
where's my table saw?

there's still an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe16 View Post
Getting the blades off? OR getting the chips out of the blades?
As far as removing the blades there are gib screws that must be removed from the wedges or backed out of the retaining plates depending on your models system. The wedges may be "stuck" in place but can be removed using a screwdriver under the open end by the pulley and a sharp rap with a hammer. Under the blades are "jack screws" for raising the blades. Resetting the blades is a whole 'nother thread'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Try shifing the blades a bit, so the chips don't line up,
A chip in the blade(s) means that small area will leave a raised line in the surface. That line may cause a wobble in the planer or when trying to assemble the work and it should be sanded out first. Shifting one or two of the blades so that none of the chips line up will solve the problem. Get a spare set of blades from www.holbren.com at a reasonable cost. Enter a discount code: BT310 or SMC10.
When your new ones arrive, swap them out and send the old ones out for sharpening. Removing a chip will take more than a touch up honing by hand, so you might as will have them done correctly.
You may consider buying 2 new sets , the shipping will be the same and now your are good to go for a long time. I have the same old Craftsman jointer and have about 5 sets of blades, as the same ones fit my other jointers, Jet and H-F.

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-14-2013 at 08:45 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I checked them both and got results so....I donno?
The links are not working for me or the others. I am thinking that the Search screen is storing the search keywords in a cookie on your computer. So when we click, there are no criteria.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (02-14-2013)
post #10 of 10 Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
where's my table saw?

Quote:
:
searched "jointer blade sharpening"

searched "jointer blade honing"

OK The links don't work for you folks, so just enter the words in the search bar for the forum! Dang computers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode