Joint question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

View SierraHotel's Photo Album My Photos
Joint question

See the attached picture. I am in the process of making a desk with partitions loosely based on that picture but I am struggling to figure out how to joint the pieces. How are the vertical pieces secured? The pieces that form the top of the drawers? Also how is the top secured without making any holes in it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	French-Secretary-Before-1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	377895  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Normally those are built like a cabinet inside of a cabinet where you can put a couple of screws underneath the drawers to remove the entire section. I can't tell from the picture but a lot of times the lid supports go back in the cabinet and if the insert wasn't removable you would have a devil of a time trying to repair or replace the hardware.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
My guess is that the partitions are mortised into the top and bottom pieces, but that the mortises and tenons are stopped short of the edge so they can't be seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
I would assume several stopped housing joints are required,rather than mortise and tenons.As for hardware,I doubt there is any on the drawers beside the finger pulls/label recesses.Something of the age of that piece would have wooden drawer runners and kicker rails.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

View SierraHotel's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for he replies. I had not thought of a stopped joint. Makes sense now.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 03:13 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Normally those are built like a cabinet inside of a cabinet where you can put a couple of screws underneath the drawers to remove the entire section. I can't tell from the picture but a lot of times the lid supports go back in the cabinet and if the insert wasn't removable you would have a devil of a time trying to repair or replace the hardware.
Steve is right.

About three feet away from me is a small fold-down desk like the one pictured by @SierraHotel. The interior section of my desk was built separately as a freestanding piece with dividers, cubby holes, and small drawers. That freestanding interior section was inserted inside the rectangular outer cabinet later, at final assembly. The joinery is very poor on my desk; glued butt joints with glued support blocks in key places, probably using pin nails as clamps.

If I were building it, I would cut dados (grooves) or stopped dados (grooves that don't go all the way) for the dividers and drawer case tops to slide in. Pay attention to grain direction and the potential for wood movement. The dados for the drawer case tops must be shallow; the vertical panels between the drawers would have dados cut on both sides.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 04:30 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
The easiest would be just a dado and glue. That is what I would do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode