Joining Cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

View WoodMachiner's Photo Album My Photos
Joining Cabinets

I am looking to build a vanity for our master bathroom. It is going to end up being 98" long so I planned on splitting the cabinets up into 3 separate pieces, two - 36” sink bases and one - 24” set of drawers (there will be filler strips at each end). These will be face frame cabinets with full overlay doors. My question is what type of screws do you use to join the face frames together? I’m sure everyone will have their own opinion so I am curious to hear them. My plan is to attach the face frames from inside the center drawer bank so you won’t see the heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I use a 2˝" coarse head either a #7 or #8 FH Phil or square drive. I countersink and pilot the holes, while clamped.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
WoodMachiner (10-11-2013)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Trim head square drive.
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill White For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM
ecr

View ecr's Photo Album My Photos
I use 2 1/2 square head also but in regards to your cabinet design there is no need for filler strips. Build your boxes 3/4 to 1 inch smaller than your frame let the extra hang over at the wall side. This way you have know fillers and you have room to scribe to the wall. You may also consider making the center section a few inches deeper and let it bump out. This breaks the line of cabs up, and you do not have the two wide sections where the face frames would join. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Joining Cabinets-image-4286719531.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to ecr For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 5 Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

View WoodMachiner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr View Post
I use 2 1/2 square head also but in regards to your cabinet design there is no need for filler strips. Build your boxes 3/4 to 1 inch smaller than your frame let the extra hang over at the wall side. This way you have know fillers and you have room to scribe to the wall. You may also consider making the center section a few inches deeper and let it bump out. This breaks the line of cabs up, and you do not have the two wide sections where the face frames would join. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Attachment 80793

Thanks for the tip on the ends instead of fillers. I am designing full overlay doors and drawers so you wont see the wide sections between. We are also going to put a bank of drawers with a cabinet on the counter only 12" deep to give the vanity some visual depth. I attached a picture, I know it doesn't show full overlay doors/drawers, but this is similar to the look we are going for.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode