Joining Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

View KadinGoldberg's Photo Album My Photos
Joining Advice

Hi All,
I am not much of a woodworker but am working on a project and could use some help. I've attached an image of the joint that I need to make. #1 is the cross-section of a long stick. I want to create a joint by cutting out the exact size of #1 from a solid rectangular board #2. I have a router but I am having trouble getting a tight fit.... There are either gaps or it is so tight that I am causing #2 to split when I force it together. Any advice would be really great!

Thanks,
Kadin

Name:  joint.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  13.3 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2017, 12:01 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
What are the approximate size if the parts?

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

View KadinGoldberg's Photo Album My Photos
The larger piece that needs to be notched out is about 3/4 x 1/2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadinGoldberg View Post
The larger piece that needs to be notched out is about 3/4 x 1/2
That is really small to be further notching.

What is the size of the smaller piece?

George
post #5 of 6 Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 AM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadinGoldberg View Post
Hi All,
I am not much of a woodworker but am working on a project and could use some help. I've attached an image of the joint that I need to make. #1 is the cross-section of a long stick. I want to create a joint by cutting out the exact size of #1 from a solid rectangular board #2. I have a router but I am having trouble getting a tight fit.... There are either gaps or it is so tight that I am causing #2 to split when I force it together. Any advice would be really great!

Thanks,
Kadin

[iurl="http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=326969&stc=1&d=1512010 032"][/iurl]
Sounds to me like you're able to make the cuts, your issue is fitting it together.

You aren't going to get the perfect fit by a router alone. You said sometimes you have to force the pieces together.... you need to cut piece 1 slightly oversized then trim it or sand it down by hand. Machines rarely give the perfect fit.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2017, 10:43 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The joint looks fine to me. You just need to work on accuracy when setting up your router. If you don't have a router table you might consider doing it on a table saw instead. It helps if you work from one side of the boards instead of making one cut and turning it around and run the other side. To do that the wood would have to be precisely the same thickness which is hard to do with wood. If you mark both your pieces one side or the other the face side and run only the face side against the fence I think you would find the joint a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode