Woodworking Talk banner

Jigsaw...love it or hate it?

7K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  Quickstep 
#1 ·
I lean on the "hate it" side of the spectrum. I don't know if it's the fact that I just have an old Craftsman, and not a newer saw, but I have pretty much given up on using it for anything that might resemble a finish cut. If I use a fine tooth blade, it doesn't want to cut. If I use a course blade, it rips the hell out of it.

Am I asking too much from this type of a saw?

#2 ·
I lean on the "hate it" side of the spectrum. I don't know if it's the fact that I just have an old Craftsman, and not a newer saw, but I have pretty much given up on using it for anything that might resemble a finish cut. If I use a fine tooth blade, it doesn't want to cut. If I use a course blade, it rips the hell out of it.

Am I asking too much from this type of a saw?

Works if you don’t have a access to a table saw . But I find they are messy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
A jigsaw, being primarily a construction tool and not a fine woodworking tool, does have a place in every shop I believe. Personally, my jigsaw is a tool that I love to use mostly because of its versatility but mostly because it's just fun to use.

I think your main issue is with the saw itself. Older jigsaws are just not as technically advanced as what's available today and therefore don't work as well as today's offerings. Another issue could be your choice of blades. Quality blades, I prefer Bosch, will saw circles around inferior blades and there are plenty of inferior blades out there. Go buy yourself a Bosch T234X and put it in that old Craftsman jigsaw. I'm betting just that blade alone will make that Craftsman perform better.

#4 ·
I used to really dislike a jigsaw until I bought a Bosch JS470E. This a truly impressive jigsaw - cuts smoothly, cleanly depending on the blade used and the material being cut, and is easy to use in a precise manner.

You can't go wrong with this jigsaw and it in no way is in the same league as the throw-away models (like I used to have).

Tool Power tool Saw Jigsaw Fretsaw

David

#5 ·
I lean on the "hate it" side of the spectrum. I don't know if it's the fact that I just have an old Craftsman, and not a newer saw, ...
Could be. Then again: "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools" ;)

If I use a fine tooth blade, it doesn't want to cut. If I use a course blade, it rips the hell out of it.
I think you may be doing it wrong.

As with any other blade: Yes, you'll want a finer blade for cross-cutting than ripping, but, in either case: If you push the tool too hard you'll get massive tear-out. Also: Most blades on most woods will result in some tear-out when cross-cutting. This is why we use backer material or score the piece in advance.

I've a Makita variable speed jigsaw I bought years ago. I don't use it for much, but there are certain tasks at which it excels.

What, exactly, have you been trying to do with this thing? And what kind of wood?

#10 ·
Could be. Then again: "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools" ;)
I think you are joking but if not, I do disagree. I have had some pretty sorry tools and I can for sure tell you, they for a fact made a world of difference in the quality of my work.

I also bought the Bosch Saber Saw years back and have worn a couple of them out. I was sold on it when a salesman was demonstrating one and plunged the running saw blade through a 1X12 and went to cutting. I will have to admit it was either a white pine or spruce board though.

#6 ·
Jig saws have their place ... for rough cutting. But you can make a reasonably straight cut if you use a fence.

The quality of the tool and blade also play a big role. I had a Craftsman / B&D jigsaw from 25 years ago (I think I paid $50-70 when I was "poor"), and recently changed up to a modern Dewalt. Big difference. The old saw bounced all over the place. New one cuts like butter. I'd blame the blades, but I'd used a few different blades in the old one and it still acted badly.

#7 ·
Ron - does your jigsaw have the "reciprocating" action or just straight up and down ?
my first "recip" jigsaw was the Dewalt I got 30 years ago and still have it.
I am considering the Bosh for my next one as it is mentioned often here.
a world of difference between reciprocating action and non-reciprocating.
plus, as mentioned, material being cut, type of blade, your expectations, yada yada yada.

#9 · (Edited)
The jigsaw is probably one of the most versatile tools around. There are very few things it won't do if you have enough power, the correct blade for the task, and the correct technique for what you are cutting (feeds and speeds). Is it a tool suited for a long straight cut? Not really, but nothing else can cut a curve quite like it (it doesn't have the throat problem like a band saw). And few tools are designed to cut so many different materials. Anything from metal to wood to plastic to tile to shoe leather.

It's small and compact, and myriad different blades are made for myriad different cuts and materials. You name it and a jigsaw has probably blown through it at one time or another. Most modern models have a quick change feature for fast blade changes and a reciprocating action that is adjustable from zero to OMG! A jigsaw makes laying laminate or hardwood flooring a breeze. In short, if you are trying to rip or crosscut a nice straight line... use a circular saw. For a huge number of other tasks, a jigsaw can often be hard to beat.

https://manoffamily.com/what-is-a-jigsaw-used-for/

If you are having issues with your old saw, I submit that it might be time to retire it for a more modern version. And then invest in the correct (and quality) blade for the cut you are attempting. It will be more than capable of making the cut, and then all that's left is a little finesse of your hand!

#12 · (Edited)
They can also cut aluminum!

Using the proper blade will allow you to make cuts inside the material like these holes for the digital display and the rocker switches on my "restoration project" a 1980 Chevy, 4 X 4 pickup:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f15/restoration-project-109305/index5/

I used an old Porter Cable barrel grip saw that I've had for 30 years on this project and for all the times I needed to cut sheet metal, including 16 GA. :smile2:

#13 ·
Strange. I am old enough that I remember when what was then called a scroll saw was what is now called a jig saw and a jig saw in the 1950's was what is now called a scroll saw. I still call a jig saw. a saber saw, just to keep them straight. Hate them immensely, but there are times when nothing else quite does the job. I use mine about 2x a year.

#16 ·
Oh gawd!

In the mid 1960s I worked for GE in Phoenix. They allowed employees to purchase used / repaired / remanufactured "small" appliances. I bought the power tool set. One changeable motor, with jig saw, sander and drill. (Non reversible but with speed control) $42

We were living in a tract where building was still going on. Almost like living in a lumber yard. In the utility room, I converted half of it to a photograph dark room using the jig saw. (Really a sabre saw.) The saw sucked at cutting 2x4 square. Some of the 2x4 I used were hopelessly warped. So the door was cut to follow the warped 2x4. I built cabinets w/shelves and a curved counter top. Absolutely the worst effing power tool I ever owned. I sold it at a garage sale about 40 years later for $40.

Then I bought a Craftsman jig saw. Their good one. As in good being relative. I understand where the "Crapsman" nick name came from. Finally I bought a Bosch jig saw. OK, it is a jig saw. But ya know it is a damn good jig saw.

#17 ·
Guess I'm not the only one that doesn't care for them.

Mine is not a reciprocating jig saw, but it is variable speed (suppose that was a big deal 30+ years ago).

Normally, I only use it for inside corners that will be covered by trim. Like this past weekend, I used it to cut the holes in the wall boards for outlets, and the inside corners on laminate flooring.

I do agree, blades make a BIG difference. It took me years (stubborn) to spend for the better blades. I guess it does what it is designed to do, but it doesn't do it very pretty.

Might have to put one of the Bosch saws on my "gotta get" list.

#18 ·
I have a Bosch 1591EVSL Jigsaw that I've owned for several years now. Coupled with good blades I find it a joy to use, a tool that produces very nice cuts.

#19 ·
I find a good jigsaw invaluable.By good I mean with a controllable reciprocating action,quick release blade change and a base that can easily be returned to exactly square.My Hitachi comes very close and I would also be pleased to have a Bosch or Makita.A cheap,basic saw has some use but it also has some limitations that you have to work around or just put up with.

#24 ·
My vote for a Bosch jig saw (saber saw) - I have the 1590EVS (variable speed). Before that, I had a Craftsman.

I used to have all Craftsman power tools, and did a lot of work around the house with those, but as I got older I wanted, and bought, Bosch tools, and wished that I had done so sooner. I have a too-large collection of saber say blades, including some diamond coated blades for cutting stainless steel.I never had a problem making progress on a cut with either brand of sabre saw - its a matter of blade type and technique. Let the tool do the cutting. Don't overpower it (like my dental technician !!)

Reactions: JIMMIEM
#25 ·
A jigsaw is definitely worth having on hand, I've used mine quite a bit. I don't have a scroll or band saw, so anything that needs cut with a curve it's all I got. I will say I have issues with thick material. Once it gets over an inch thick, I find it too easy for the blade to bend or skew, leaving the edge with a slightly angle cut. Maybe it's just me trying to go too fast.

#26 ·
For years, i used my dad’s all metal Craftsman saber saw and it was uselessly terrible. Then I bought my Bosch 1591EVS, and I love, love, love that saw! It has the barrel grip and I really prefer that to the traditional handle, as it offers better balance and control and alternate grip positions, plus it’sa bit more compact. (Festool copied this saw)

All the comments about Bosch blades are correct, and so is the comment about not over driving the tool — let it do the work. Don’t skimp on power, get the best, most powerful one you can afford.

It can cut just about anything and I think its power is darn close to my 15A Makita reciprocating saw. It mows thru hard, old Dog Fir 2x4’s like nothing. It is much safer than a circ saw, and with practice I can get a pretty straight line. But note that it is a rough cut tool, you will need to clean up your cuts, so don’t expect glue-line cuts.

#27 ·
I don't have experience with some of the nicer tools mentioned here, but my problem with them is that they seem to wander too much vertically in a cut. I can think I'm doing an amazing cut on the top, just to find it isn't nearly square on the bottom. Is this user error?
One other interesting tidbit: I have a friend who is a master Craftsman trained in Switzerland. He says they are trained cutting with the jigsaw on the bottom of the wood. Following the line on the top of the wood-can't remember why.

#29 ·
Oh that’sa great bit of training! Blade wander is a natural outcome with the flexible jigsaw blades, especially as the material gets thicker. Obviously, the back/unseen side doesn’t matter, so they are trained to hold the tool underneath the workpiece so that they can guide the cut on the all important exposed side. That exposed side cut is all that matters in work that doesn’t involve structurally or aesthetically fitted joints.

A jigsaw would actually be a pretty fast tool for roughing out dovetails or tenons.

#28 ·
My dad gave me a Craftsman and I hated it. The blade wondered, it was underpowered, and a pain to use. I bought a Festool 420 and it changed my outlook. It cuts great, no blade wonder, and is powerful. I use it a lot now to rough cut pieces to more manageable size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.