Jigs - Material - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Jigs - Material

I have always used plywood for the bottoms of my table saw cross-cut jig, Straight Line Rip and similar jigs. No special reason other than that is what I always have laying around.
I noticed on here some people use masonite, some MDF, etc.
What do you use and why?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 02-16-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
good question, Tony.

I DON'T use MDF: as in my area, it is an inferior product for most
of my needs. it curls & warps easy, absorbs moisture, edges and corners
are easily mooshed up. does not hold screws well that are often removed.
thus - plywood with a coat of paint or varnish is my "go to" for jigs.
plexiglass for the hand-held router base plates.

Edit: cleaning up today. will be putting 4 pcs of 2x2'x1/4" sheets of
MDF in the trash - absolutely no need for it.

Tony B and BigJim like this.

I am a painter: that's what I do, I like to paint things.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 02-16-2020 at 09:32 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Cheap, dimensionally stable, easy to work with, commonly available.

MDF is great stuff, but a lot of people try forcing it to do stuff it shouldn't do, square peg and a round hole. It's not very moisture resistant, so yeah, don't use it in wet environments. It's compressed sawdust so no, it doesn't stand up to frequently removing screws. That doesn't make it useless. If you need a table saw sled or a quick assembly jig, it's hard to beat something you can glue together, doesn't change with seasonal humidity swings, and is dirt cheap.

I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a plywood that works as well as MDF for shop jigs for the same cost. I can get MDF for $30 a sheet, and I'm guaranteed a smooth, flat face and dimensional stability. Can't always say the same for the ACX plywood in the same price bracket
terryh likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The only reason that I haven't used MDF for jigs is mainly due to weight. I use it a lot for other stuff though.
I have read that all it takes to make it moisture resistant is a coat of lacquer or any other hard finish.
The only plywood I use is either baltic birch or cabinet grade.
I notice that on you tube a lot of folks use what looks like construction grade. Dont know if it will stay flat.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #5 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 09:59 AM

View Frost's Photo Album My Photos
I don't like it for jigs just because it doesn't take screws well, but I will use it if some is hanging around. I really like quarter inch mdf for painted door panels. It is exactly 1/4 inch (unlike 1/4" ply) fits perfectly in grooves and paints really well, no grain lines at all. I just made a workbench with 3/4 mdf as the top, looks good with 3-4 coats of poly on it and is flat. All in all, I hate using it because of the dust and it's a lot heavier than it was when I was younger, but it has its uses. Actually, all sheet goods are a lot heavier now, I'm beginning to think its me.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I use MDF for my guitar molds and forms, for my spoilboard on the CNC, and occasionally for a fixture or template. But I rarely have MDF on hand so I use BB often for fixtures. The only drawback to that is the thickness is only about 0.475" and two pieces end up being too thick for some things. I don't do any sheet goods work except for the Longworth chucks in BB so there's never any plywood laying around to use.

And I don't ever have any construction lumber here, no 2x4's or Pine, so many of my fixtures are made of Maple and Walnut. If I were to do an inventory I'd say over half of my fixtures are Maple and Walnut, come to think of it...

Our shop is climate controlled so I don't have issues with MDF swelling or bowing, it just stays flat and straight. But my preference is to use it for the CNC spoilboard only unless I have to use it for something else.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
I've used those handi panels of plywood from HD (for about $20-25 4x8; couldn't find link) for casework projects for the shop. I let stand on the long edge propped against a wall and when I went to break it down, I found that is has sagged. I had to rough cut and then press flat on the work bench.

Back to the topic, I would use it for jigs because I have scraps on hand. I think screws will strip out because it's not as dense (core) as you would think.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 10:30 PM
Lew

View Lew's Photo Album My Photos
I use Baltic birch. I think the 1/2” is 9 ply. Very stable. Plus as a cabinet maker, I have stock on hand at all times.

Never underestimate the power of observation..
post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 11:06 PM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
I use mdf for jigs that I expect to cycle 10-100 times. I like the flatness and uniformity. I hate the dust. This shaper jig was cycled 8 times for a raised panel door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door h.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	384969  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode